1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where Were You on.....

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Jul 20, 2014.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

...... July 20, 1969?

This assumes, of course, that you were at least old enough to remember the events when the Apollo 11 spacecraft landed on the surface of our moon, when US astronaut Neil Armstrong took that "giant leap for mankind."

I still remember being glued to the TV set during that late Sunday evening watching that momentous event take place.

Those grainy black & white pictures from the moon are still ingrained in my mind.

I'd like to read your recollections of that historic occasion that took place 45 years ago.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhh yes...July 1969. I was getting ready to celebrate my first birthday. If I remember correctly, I was anticipating .... nevermind....I don't remember.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On a farm visiting friends of my parents. I was 11 years old. I wanted to grow up to be either a baseball player or an astronaut. My dad had designed some power supply circuits used in the lunar lander. I remember begging my mom to ask the hosts to turn on the TV, as I didn't want to miss it. They kept putting me off, saying "don't worry, we won't miss it." I remember being mad that we went for a Sunday visit on the day of the moon landing, and then I was wondering about their smallish B&W TV and how good their reception would be.

Finally they turned it on and they landed about 30 minutes later. IIRC, it was about 5:20 pm.
    Later, at home I begged my parents to let me stay up and watch the moon walk. I was up past 1 am watching it. My parents went to bed around midnight. How can you go to bed when there are people walking on the moon?!

4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was 8 years old watching television at a family friend's house in Rutherford, New Jersey. I wanted to be an astronaut and go to the moon. It was a thrilling time for me.

5. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I was 11 also, I remember being at the St. Louis Zoo when they were on the Moon. I was at one of the shows, maybe the Monkey Show or Elephant Show and I remember looking up and I could see the Moon in the daytime and I kept starring at it wondering what the Astronauts were doing at that time. I guess it must have been the Monday after they landed. I also remember Mom & Dad letting us stay up and watch them walk on the Moon. I was a big deal.

6. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I remember one fellow telling me that the July 20, 1969, moon landing caused a lot of preachers to discard their sermons denouncing mortal man's efforts to land on the moon as an out-and-out defiance of Acts 17:26 where Paul told the Athenians that "(God) made...men to dwell on the earth...."

Then, of course, there were/(are?:smilewinkgrin:) folks who firmly believe that the moon landing(s) were all faked---that they were all filmed somewhere in some remote desert area of the southwestern US [Perhaps maybe somewhere near Roswell, NM, or "Area 51" in NV??:smilewinkgrin:].

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My grandmother, who passed over a decade ago, never believed that we really landed on the moon.

8. thisnumbersdisconnected

I was at home for the landing, and I remember Armstrong taking over control of the LEM when it appeared to be drifting into a rock field with boulders the size of Volkswagens. Houston was almost apoplectic, but it was obvious the ol' fighter pilot knew what he was doing. Later that evening, I was at an American Legion baseball game, playing shortstop. Didn't get to see the walk because they advanced it eight hours. Armstrong and Aldrin were too pumped up to sleep, so they let them go early, and sleep before lift off the next day.

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I think I saw it on television. I remember seeing it at school, but I know school wasn't in session.....

10. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was in the house I still live in and watched it on TV.

11. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I saw this at home as we were allowed to leave school, there only being one tv and that was in the presbytery.

I always felt sorry for Michael Collins, orbiting and doing a vital job of course, but not standing on the moon.....:thumbs: