1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where were you?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, Jun 18, 2017.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    i thought it might be fun and of interest for members of the BB to reflect and share using the basic question: Where were you when ______ happened?

For example,

Sitting with friends when I heard of the death of the five missionaries on the Curaray River in Ecuador just before the "Life Magazine" made it international news. There seemed a general disbelief that such would happen in our modern world. Martrys were conigned to a book by Fox and a few modern in happy monks who torched themselves in public protest.

Where were you when_____?

#1 agedman, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think here in America the most common scenario for people to ask that question about is when the World Trade Center Twin Towers fell. Sure, I remember where I was. I had just walked into the house of a man named Chuck. I was remodeling his kitchen, and I thought it was very strange that he had not left the house for work yet. So I asked him.

He said someone had just flown a plane into a building at the World Trade Center, and the news channel was trying to make heads or tails of whether it was an accident or not.

Then I saw the live shot of the second plane hitting the second building. Chuck and I were both speechless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Too young for the tragedy in Ecuador - did not even know about that until decades later, after I got saved. My three "where were you"s are:
    --Nov. 22, 1963: I was a HS senior walking to my history class when a friend asked, "Did you hear? The president was shot!" When I got to class, the TV showed only the CBS News logo, so I knew the shooting was fact.
    --Jan. 26, 1986: The Challenger disaster - we were on a 3-hour drive to a meeting in northern Maine (Presque Isle) and did not learn of this event until several hours after it had occurred.
    --Sept. 11, 2001: I was at work in the office when the husband of our office manager called and told her (paraphrasing from memory), "I don't know what it means, but I heard that two airplanes have crashed into the Twin Towers." When I called up CNN on my workstation, I saw their logo (shades of 1963) for a minute, then the shocking still pic of airplane #2 an instant before impact with the south tower.

4. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was teaching a class when I got the emergency phone call from my son that he was safe and being taken to safety when the plane flew into the pentagon.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where was I when . . .

God regenerated my soul, giving me both repentance from sin and faith to believe the Gospel, March 17, 1957 next to my bunk bed in a closet in our inner-city home

I was called of God into His ministry, July 26, 1963, at a lookout rock at Camp Clearwaters, overlooking the St Croix River valley.

I was married, June 19th, 1970, in Casper, Wyoming, to my loving wife and help meet . . . and yes, today is our 47th anniversary so the date is fresh on my mind.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congratulations, Dr. Bob and wife!

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank You. Selfie we took yesterday out celebrating :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congratulations! My wife and I are exactly one year behind you guys. Enjoyed a date at a Mexican restaurant, but we don't do selfies. This is a busy week, with granddaughter #1 coming on the 15th, her mom/dad's anniversary on the 18th, ours on the 19th, and our daughter's bday on the 22nd. Father's Day gets in the mix, too.

• Like Like x 1