1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Whew, it's over

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Tom Bryant, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Last night we had our annual budget meeting for the church... :praying:

Everything was fine because the finance comm. always does a good job in openness and integrity in all the church's dealings.

But I am always nervous. I am watching who is here who usually isn't on Wednesday nights... Are people's conversations stopping suddenly when I walk over to say hello? ... just the usual baptist pastor butterflies.

btw, the vote was unanimous for a cut down budget which featured a reduction of what we give the local association (from 2.5% to 1%) so that we could increase our benevolence opportunities.

So I am praising the Lord and relieved... all at the same time. :laugh: :thumbsup:

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Good for you Tom, and good for your folks. The two key words in your post were integrity and openness. It's obvious that you and your finance committee place a high priority on being good stewards of the Lord's finances.

When I read about churches in conflict, almost without exception it relates in some way to a lack of openness in church finances. I followed conflict in a couple of large churches, where the pastor's salary was not available to all members. And other financial decisions were made without input from the congregation.

Again, congratulations to you and your flock.

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have seen that also. Unfortunately there is a present move towards boards of directors rather than congregational rule.

There's an old saying, "Baptists are down on whatever they are not up on."

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Praise God! Our meetings will be next month. Our budget meeting comes first and in a church of 800+, pretty much no one comes out except employees (who are required to be there), the deacons and that's about it. :) We're also very open with our finances and make sure we have an independent auditor come in each year to go over the books. We'll vote on the budget on Palm Sunday afternoon at our annual dinner.