1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Which bible do you trust?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by stilllearning, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, we are saying that MANY English versions qualify as being the 'word of God", sucj as NASB/NIV/ESV etc, and that its good to compare/contrast,as they don't ALL say the exact same thing each passage!

And the choice of greek texts today would be that wether you like TR/MT/CT etc, you would still ahve the word of God in your hands!

2. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Geneva/KJV/NKJV comparisons

Here are some comparisons of the 1560 edition of the Geneva Bible with the KJV and the NKJV in the gospel of Matthew.

Matt. 1:18 betrothed (Geneva, NKJV) espoused (KJV)
    Matt. 1:19 secretly (Geneva, NKJV) privily (KJV)
    Matt. 1:20 the son of David (Geneva) thou son of David (KJV) son of David (NKJV)
    Matt. 2:3 heard this (Geneva, NKJV) heard these things (KJV)
    Matt. 2:4 asked (Geneva) demanded (KJV) inquired (NKJV)
    Matt. 2:6 feed (Geneva) rule (KJV) shepherd (NKJV)
    Matt. 2:9 they had seen (Geneva, NKJV) they saw (KJV)
    Matt. 2:16 all the male children (Geneva, NKJV) all the children (KJV)
    Matt. 3:2 Repent (Geneva, NKJV) Repent ye (KJV)
    Matt. 3:13 came (Geneva, NKJV) cometh (KJV)
    Matt. 4:2 hungry (Geneva, NKJV) an hungred (KJV)
    Matt. 4:6 and said (Geneva, NKJV) And saith (KJV)
    Matt. 4:8 devil took (Geneva, NKJV) devil taketh (KJV)
    Matt. 4:8 and shewed (Geneva) and sheweth (KJV) and showed (NKJV)
    Matt. 4:9 said (Geneva, NKJV) saith (KJV)
    Matt. 4:10 said (Geneva, NKJV) saith (KJV)
    Matt. 4:19 said (Geneva, NKJV) saith (KJV)
    Matt. 5:21 said unto (Geneva) said by (KJV) said to (NKJV)
    Matt. 5:27 said to (Geneva, NKJV) said by (KJV)
    Matt. 5:29 cause thee to offend (Geneva) offend thee (KJV) causes you to sin (NKJV)
    Matt. 5:33 said to (Geneva, NKJV) said by (KJV)
    Matt. 7:5 Hypocrite (Geneva, NKJV) Thou hypocrite (KJV)
    Matt. 8:4 Jesus said (Geneva, NKJV) Jesus saith (KJV)
    Matt. 8:7 Jesus said (Geneva, NKJV) Jesus saith (KJV)
    Matt. 8:13 Then Jesus (Geneva, NKJV) And Jesus (KJV)
    Matt. 8:17 He took (Geneva) Himself took (KJV) He Himself took (NKJV)
    Matt. 8:18 And when (Geneva, NKJV) Now when (KJV)
    Matt. 8:25 Then (Geneva, NKJV) And (KJV)
    Matt. 8:26 said (Geneva, NKJV) saith (KJV)
    Matt. 8:33 Then (Geneva, NKJV) And (KJV)
    Matt. 9:2 sins are forgiven (Geneva, NKJV) sins be forgiven (KJV)
    Matt. 9:5 sins are forgiven (Geneva, NKJV) sins be forgiven (KJV)
    Matt. 9:6 go to (Geneva, NKJV) go unto (KJV)
    Matt. 9:8 to men (Geneva, NKJV) unto men (KJV)
    Matt. 9:9 said to (Geneva, NKJV) saith unto (KJV)
    Matt. 9:11 said to (Geneva, NKJV) said unto (KJV)
    Matt. 9:17 do they (Geneva, NKJV) do men (KJV)
    Matt. 9:28 Jesus said (Geneva, NKJV) Jesus saith (KJV)
    Matt. 9:31 But when they were departed, they (Geneva, NKJV) But they, when they were departed (KJV)
    Matt. 9:37 said he to (Geneva) saith he unto (KJV) He said to (NKJV)
    Matt. 10:18 to them (Geneva, NKJV) against them (KJV)
    Matt. 10:36 enemies (Geneva, NKJV) foes (KJV)
    Matt. 11:8 to see (Geneva, NKJV) for to see (KJV)
    Matt. 11:9 to see (Geneva, NKJV) for to see (KJV)
    Matt. 11:14 to come (Geneva, NKJV) for to come (KJV)
    Matt. 11:22 say to you (Geneva, NKJV) say unto you (KJV)
    Matt. 12:2 And when (Geneva, NKJV) But when (KJV)
    Matt. 12:8 of the Sabbath (Geneva, NKJV) of the Sabbath day (KJV)
    Matt. 12:25 But Jesus (Geneva, NKJV) And Jesus (KJV)
    Matt. 12:39 said to them (Geneva, NKJV) said unto them (KJV)
    Matt. 13:3 Then he (Geneva) And he (KJV) Then He (NKJV)
    Matt. 13:5 no depth (Geneva, NKJV) no deepness (KJV)
    Matt. 13:10 said to (Geneva, NKJV) said unto (KJV)
    Matt. 13:28 to them (Geneva, NKJV) unto them (KJV)
    Matt. 13:33 to them (Geneva, NKJV) unto them (KJV)
    Matt. 13:34 to them (Geneva, NKJV) unto them (KJV)
    Matt. 13:37 to them (Geneva, NKJV) unto them (KJV)
    Matt. 13:51 Jesus said (Geneva, NKJV) Jesus saith (KJV)
    Matt. 13:57 to them (Geneva, NKJV) unto them (KJV)
    Matt. 14:8 platter (Geneva, NKJV) charger (KJV)
    Matt. 14:9 because of (Geneva, NKJV) for (KJV)
    Matt. 14:11 platter (Geneva, NKJV) charger (KJV)
    Matt. 14:16 to them (Geneva, NKJV) unto them (KJV)
    Matt. 14:16 to go away (Geneva, NKJV) depart (KJV)
    Matt. 14:31 said to him (Geneva, NKJV) said unto him (KJV)
    Matt. 14:35 were sick (Geneva, NKJV) were diseased (KJV)
    Matt. 15:8 near (Geneva, NKJV) nigh (KJV)
    Matt. 15:10 said to them (Geneva, NKJV) said unto them (KJV)
    Matt. 15:26 good (Geneva, NKJV) meet (KJV)
    Matt. 15:26 whelps (Geneva) dogs (KJV) little dogs (NKJV)
    Matt. 15:27 whelps (Geneva) dogs (KJV) little dogs (NKJV)
    Matt. 15:37 fragments (Geneva, NKJV) broken meat (KJV)
    Matt. 16:3 O hypocrites (Geneva) O ye hypocrites (KJV) Hypocrites (NKJV)
    Matt. 16:12 of the Pharisees and Sadducees (Geneva, NKJV) of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees (KJV)
    Matt. 16:17 said to him (Geneva, NKJV) said unto him (KJV)
    Matt. 16:22 took him aside (Geneva) took him (KJV) took Him aside (NKJV)
    Matt. 16:23 but the things (Geneva, NKJV) but those (KJV)
    Matt. 17:1 Jesus took (Geneva, NKJV) Jesus taketh (KJV)
    Matt. 17:2 clothes (Geneva, NKJV) raiment (KJV)
    Matt. 17:4 said to Jesus (Geneva, NKJV) said unto Jesus (KJV)
    Matt. 18:12 go (Geneva, NKJV) goeth (KJV)
    Matt. 18:12 seek (Geneva, NKJV) seeketh (KJV)
    Matt. 18:16 by the mouth (Geneva, NKJV) in the mouth (KJV)
    Matt. 18:17 refuse (Geneva) neglect (KJV) refuses (NKJV)
    Matt. 18:22 Jesus said (Geneva, NKJV) Jesus saith (KJV)
    Matt. 18:26 Master (Geneva, NKJV) Lord (KJV)
    Matt. 19:18 He said (Geneva, NKJV) He saith (KJV)
    Matt. 19:27 said to him (Geneva) said unto him (KJV) said to Him (NKJV)
    Matt. 20:33 said to him (Geneva) say unto him (KJV) said to Him (NKJV)
    Matt. 21:1 near (Geneva, NKJV) nigh (KJV)
    Matt. 21:2 to them (Geneva, NKJV) unto them (KJV)
    Matt. 21:13 to them (Geneva, NKJV) unto them (KJV)
    Matt. 21:18 was hungry (Geneva, NKJV) hungered (KJV)
    Matt. 21:19 said to it (Geneva, NKJV) said unto it (KJV)
    Matt. 22:8 said (Geneva, NKJV) saith (KJV)
    Matt. 22:12 said (Geneva, NKJV) saith (KJV)
    Matt. 22:20 said (Geneva, NKJV) saith (KJV)
    Matt. 22:21 They said (Geneva, NKJV) They say (KJV)
    Matt. 22:21 to Caesar (Geneva, NKJV) unto Caesar (KJV)
    Matt. 22:31 concerning (Geneva, NKJV) touching (KJV)
    Matt. 22:37 to him (Geneva, NKJV) unto him (KJV)
    Matt. 22:42 They said (Geneva, NKJV) They say (KJV)
    Matt. 23:16 blind guides (Geneva, NKJV) ye blind guides (KJV)
    Matt. 23:24 strain out (Geneva, NKJV) strain at (KJV)
    Matt. 23:27 tombs (Geneva, NKJV) sepulchres (KJV)
    Matt. 24:1 to shew (Geneva) for to shew (KJV) to show (NKJV)
    Matt. 24:32 is near (Geneva, NKJV) is nigh (KJV)
    Matt. 24:46 master (Geneva, NKJV) lord (KJV)
    Matt. 24:48 But if (Geneva, NKJV) But and if (KJV)
    Matt. 24:48 master (Geneva, NKJV) lord (KJV)
    Matt. 25:8 to the wise (Geneva, NKJV) unto the wise (KJV)
    Matt. 25:10 wedding (Geneva, NKJV) marriage (KJV)
    Matt. 26:7 very costly (Geneva, NKJV) very precious (KJV)
    Matt. 26:7 at the table (Geneva, NKJV) at meat (KJV)
    Matt. 26:15 and said (Geneva, NKJV) And said unto them (KJV)
    Matt. 26:31 said (Geneva, NKJV) saith (KJV)
    Matt. 26:38 said (Geneva, NKJV) saith (KJV)
    Matt. 26:40 came (Geneva, NKJV) cometh (KJV)
    Matt. 26:44 So he (Geneva) And he (KJV) So He (NKJV)
    Matt. 26:45 came (Geneva, NKJV) cometh (KJV)
    Matt. 26:48 had given (Geneva, NKJV) gave (KJV)
    Matt. 26:55 to take (Geneva, NKJV) for to take (KJV)
    Matt. 26:66 worthy to die (Geneva) guilty of death (KJV) deserving of death (NKJV)
    Matt. 27:14 But he (Geneva) And he (KJV) But He (NKJV)
    Matt. 27:19 sent to him (Geneva, NKJV) sent unto him (KJV)
    Matt. 27:22 Pilate said (Geneva, NKJV) Pilate saith (KJV)
    Matt. 27:22 They all said to him (Geneva, NKJV) They all say unto him (KJV)
    Matt. 27:56 Among whom (Geneva, NKJV) Among which (KJV)
    Matt. 27:56 sons (Geneva, NKJV) children (KJV)
    Matt. 28:5 But the angel (Geneva, NKJV) And the angel (KJV)
    Matt. 28:5 said to (Geneva, NKJV) said unto (KJV)
    Matt. 28:8 So they (Geneva, NKJV) And they (KJV)
    Matt. 28:19 Go therefore (Geneva, NKJV) Go ye therefore (KJV)

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gregory Perry Sr:
    That's cuz they're paraphrases, and pretty groddy ones at that. Too bad U didn't get started on the NKJV or NASV. Then perhaps U would never have fallen for the false KJVO doctrine.

Now, have U ever stopped to consider that the KJV coulda had material ADDED?

And no, I won't ridicule U for using only the KJV. However, I WILL remind you that one obtains a broader overview and understanding of the Scriptures by using more than one translation, given the many Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic words and phrases that have multiple meanings in English. havong this broader overview gives the HOLY SPIRIT more material to work with in teaching one the understanding of God's word.

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I just wrote to Mr. Perry, there are many Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic words and phrases that have multiple correct English renderings. It's impossible to fit ALL those meanings into ONE translation. Even if one reads the Greek and Hebrew fluently, there are few such readers who understand all the subtleties and nuances of those languages. Thus, a variety of translations is a large help in understanding the real meaning of many Scriptures.

Now, while the HOLY SPIRIT is our Teacher in Scriptural understanding, we must do OUR part as well, that is, be willing to learn, ask Him for His guidance, and study the Scriptures on our own, while praying for better understanding. That includes using ALL the resources God has made available for us, including multiple English translations, new and old.

5. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

You Might Be Surprized.....

Roby...it might surprize you to know that I WAS strongly led and encouraged to use the NASV BEFORE I ever settled on my convictions regarding the KJB and the MV's (back in the early 1980's). It was partly after I started comparing readings between them (and those little "authority" killing footnotes) that I begin to arrive at what I now believe. That was before I even had any knowledge about such things as "manuscript evidence"...and I'm still no expert on that and probably never will be. Since it was an issue that was brought to my attention at the time, I began praying the Lord would guide me and lead me to the truth He wanted me to know ....strictly for His sake...not mine. Believe me...I know that the position I take on this issue does NOT make me the most popular guy even in the church fellowship I am currently a part of (an SBC church)...and CERTAINLY not here on this Board! I don't make it a "test of fellowship" with ME...but others I know have made it one with me (sadly).The guy that was urging me to use the NASV (telling me it was more "accurate" than the KJV) was the "then" "Dean of Students" at Bob Jones University (I won't call his name). He is also the wonderful Christian man, who I still love and deeply respect, who led me to faith in Christ back on Oct.13,1977. We just agree to disagree on this particular issue. Just thought you might find all that interesting to know. I'm just glad to know I'm saved and one of these fine days there will be nothing left to argue about....we'll all find common ground and total agreement in the very presence of our Lord Jesus Christ!!! Soon I hope! By the way...Merry Christmas brother!:thumbsup:

Bro.Greg:godisgood:

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF one comes to this discussion, and wants to debit merits of the MT Vrs CT, and feeling the MT is superior, so would be NKJV/KJV preferred, OK, but NOT able to discuss KJVO position from a real viewpoint other then hype/hysteria!

7. Gregory Perry Sr.

One Other Thing.....

Roby...Just for the record...and I know you and I disagree strongly on this.....But I don't believe (and never will) that I have "fallen" for anything. I believe that I hold in my hand the perfect Word of God preserved for me in the legitimate language of my birth (English) and that it is without proven error (any "supposed errors" can be rationally and reasonably explained)( and to-date...any I have ever encountered HAVE BEEN to my own satisfaction anyway). I have 1000% absolute confidence in my Bible and am satisfied in it completely. As for the NKJV...well...if there IS any real need for "updating"...(and I do question that)....they took a step in (arguably) the right direction but there are still problems with what they produced which are well documented. I believe the work of Dr. Douglas D.Stauffer BibleDoug.com-Dr.Douglas Stauffer(see the link) offers much valuable insight on the matter. For the record... I have misplaced my copy of the NASB but I do currently have a copy of the NKJV that I occasionally will pull out for reference. Doesn't really matter much though since they all seem to be available online these days. Ain't computers great?! Again...Merry Christmas.

Bro.Greg:smilewinkgrin:

8. Gregory Perry Sr.

I Post What I Feel Led To Post

Yeshua...correct me if I'm wrong but what I get from what you just said is that my post was hype/hysteria (of which it was neither....at least not to me anyway!). Besides the ORIGINAL OP is "Which Bible Do You Trust". I think my posts make it abundantly clear just which Bible that is for me. All else is peripheral (yet related) to that original issue.Agree/disagree...doesn't really matter to me. This is a F O R U M for comment and D E B A T E within a reasonable set of rules (which I try to adhere too to the best of my ability). Hope I'm not misjudging you....if I am please forgive me. You are welcome to disagree with me....but I am NOT hysterical as you may suppose!:smilewinkgrin: So lighten up there Bub!!!

Bro.Greg:tongue3:

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not directed at you! Just saying that there are reaonable KJV folks, like you seem to be, with another group that operates in emotionalism minus actual facts!

10. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

I trust the nkjv 98% of the time. The other 2% is me trusting the kjv, esv, nasb, and the Geneva.

11. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    textual notes

Are you rejecting the wisdom of the KJV translators that you claim to trust? The KJV translators clearly rejected your type reasoning or claims about marginal notes or footnotes as not being "sound" or "wise".

In their preface to the 1611, the KJV translators asserted: "Some peradventure would have no variety of senses to be set in the margin, lest the authority of the Scriptures for deciding of controversies by that shew of uncertainty, should somewhat be shaken. But we hold their judgment not to be so sound in this point."

The KJV translators maintained: "They that are wise, had rather have their judgments at liberty in differences of readings, then to be captivated to one, when it may be the other."

The KJV translators asked: "doth not a margin do well to admonish the reader to seek further, and not to conclude or dogmatize upon this or that peremptorily?"

12. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJV marginal notes

Scrivener noted that 4,111 of the 6,637 marginal notes in the Old Testament of the 1611 "express the more literal meaning of the original Hebrew or Chaldee" and "2156 give alternative renderings (indicated by the word 'Or' prefixed to them) which in the opinion of the Translators are not very less probable than those in the text" (Authorized Edition, p. 41). He also pointed out that 67 marginal notes in the 1611 O. T. "refer to various readings of the original, in 31 of which the marginal variation (technically called Keri) of the Masoretic revisers of the Hebrew is set in competition with the reading in the text" (Ibid.). He observed that in the N. T. of the 1611 that 37 marginal notes relate to various readings (p. 56). He also listed those 37 notes (p. 58). The 1762 edition added 15 more textual marginal notes (p. 59). The 1769 edition is said to have added at least one more. KJV defender Edward F. Hills also confirmed that 37 of the KJV’s N. T. marginal notes give variant readings (KJV Defended, p. 216). Hills also acknowledged that 16 more textual N. T. marginal notes were added in the 1700’s (Believing Bible Study, p. 206). John Eadie also affirmed that the KJV’s N. T. has “thirty-five such textual notes,” and he listed them (English Bible, II, p. 212). In addition, Eadie referred to “at least sixty-seven notes referring to various readings of the Hebrew” (p. 210).

At Hebrews 6:1, Backus maintained that the 1611 KJV has in the margin "a literal translation of the Vulgate 'the word of the beginning of Christ'" (Reformed Roots, p. 147). At Matthew 4:12, Backus asserted that the 1611 KJV put “the Vulgate reading ‘delivered up’ in the margin” (p. 48). Scrivener suggested that the 1611 marginal note at 2 John 8 came from the Vulgate (Authorized Edition, p. 59). The 1611 KJV at Mark 7:3 has an alternative translation, the literal meaning of the Greek, and the translation of a church father: "Or, diligently, in the Original, with the fist; Theophilact, up to the elbow." The KJV translators put the following marginal note in the 1611 for “mercies” at Acts 13:34: “Greek, [hosios] holy, or just things; which word in the Septuagint, both in the place of Isaiah 55:3, and in many others, use for that which is in the Hebrew mercies.“ At Acts 13:18, the 1611 KJV has another marginal note that refers to the Septuagint and that also refers to Chrysostom.

At Luke 10:22, the marginal note in the 1611 stated: "Many ancient copies add these words, 'And turning to his disciples, he said.'"
    At Luke 17:36, the marginal note in the 1611 stated: "This 36 verse is wanting in most of the Greek copies."
    At 2 Peter 2:2, the marginal note in the 1611 noted: "Or, lascivious wages, as some copies read."
    At Acts 25:6, the marginal note in the 1611 was the following: "as some copies read, no more then eight or ten days."
    At John 18:13, the marginal note in the 1611 gave a conjectural emendation found in the Bishops' Bible: "And Annas sent Christ bound unto Caiaphas the high priest."

Other marginal notes that gave variant readings in the 1611 can be found at Judges 19:2, Ezra 10:40, Psalm 102:3, Matthew 1:11, Matthew 26:26, Acts 13:18, 1 Corinthians 15:31, Ephesians 6:9, James 2:18, 1 Peter 2:21, 2 Peter 2:2, 11, and 18.

John R. Kohlenberger III pointed out a textual variant in the marginal note in the 1611 edition at Deuteronomy 28:22. Kohlenberger asserted: “This variant is caused by the change of a single vowel point in Hebrew (horch versus the Masoretic herch) and likely reflects the Vulgate et aestu” (Burke, Translation, p. 50).
    Kohlenberger noted: “An example of an alternative reading that is not clearly stated is found at Luke 2:38: ‘that looked for redemption in Hierusalem’; note: ‘Or, Israel.’ This reading is not found in printed texts, but it is in Rheims” (p. 52).