1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Which Bible is God's Word?"

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by AntennaFarmer, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I stick with the KJV over modern versions. Your EXCELLENT answer! [​IMG]

2. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Right! The KJV is the best translation for CLEAREST doctrines. [​IMG]

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RSR: He also contends that the "72 virgins" reference also is a bit of garbled Aramaic that, properly translated, should be be about grapes instead.

Once upon a time, a bright Muslim terrorist decided to test out his suicide bomb before trying to use it in a crowd. It worked perfectly. he discovered his soul hurtling to some unknown destination. He thought, "Well, I mighta goofed, but it was in the name of Allah, so I'm gonna score my 72 virgins!"

He arrived at his destination, which looked like a forest. He suddenly found himself face to face with whom he recognized as GEORGE WASHINGTON, from dollar bills & quarters. He said, Mr. Washington, what an honor..." GW cut him short..."You murderous skummbag! You wanted to kill a buncha my people! remember the story about my cutting down the cherry tree? Well, here's the tommyhatchet I did it with!" & he buried a hatchet deep into the diaper-head's skull. The Muslim had never felt anything close to the pain it caused, but, being already dead, he couldn't die again. In stupendous pain, he staggered away, & soon met another man he recognized as General Robt. E. Lee. He said to himself, "Lee fought against the USA, so he'll be sympathetic to me, & maybe he'll remove this hatchet from my head." But Lee said, "I fought for my principals and beliefs, and NEVER COMMITTED WANTON MURDER as you and your kind have", & then he drove his saber through the Muslim's belly till it came out his back.

This was DOUBLE the pain he had from the hatchet in the head ,but he managed to stagger on. He saw a man in a Union army uniform whom he recognized as General George Thomas. The Muslim gasped, "You fought against Lee & friends, and look what he did to ME!" Thomas said, "They went to easy on you, you worthless piece of trash! Want that hatchet outta yer head? OK,HERE!" & blasted the Muslim in the face with both barrels of a 12-gauge blunderbuss. The blasts removed the hatchet, all right, as well as his face from the upper lip upward. The Muslim couldn't die, but now he had no eyes, no nose, & could only gulp air...but he still couldn't die, & still felt pain. However, he could still hear & croak a little speech, & he squeaked, "Where's my 72 virgins?" Thomas answered, saying, "You meat head, if you'd correctly translated the Koran, you'd know it reads, 72 VIRGINIANS! Now, you only have 69 more to go before starting all over!"

4. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

That was disturbing.

5. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

That is a good point. Unless we get to Jesus my question is moot.

A.F.

6. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

ahem... er.....Robycop3, with all due respect, I don't believe your story would be helpful in witnessing.....I think it could bring on a hostile reaction....

A.F.

7. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

Haha, AF, I think you missed the point.

Rather, I think you got the point all too well.

8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WITH ALL DUE RESPECT...

Where's yer sensahumor, Sir?

If we stay serious all the time, we'll end up seriously ILL.

I've found it's usually easier to witness to Moslems than it is members of a pseudo-Christian cult such as Mor(m)on, Jabroney False Witless, Seven-Day Ad-Libber, or Science-Fraud-Logist. You see, THEY'VE been brainwashed into thinking they're ALREADY SAVED, while most Moslems believe they're working toward their version of salvation.

BTW, I'm NOT known for blowing sunshine to cults & false religions, & false religious doctrines. .

9. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

10. william s. correa

william s. correa New Member

Thank you SFIC
    I really am glad to have a Brother as yourself that Knows his Bible!

11. william s. correa

Well when jesus opened the eyes of the blind man he asked him "Beleivest thou in the SON of GOD? and he replied "where is he that I may worship him" Jesus said " Him whom thou seest is He" and he fell at his feet and worshipped Jesus. I beleive we should be Like Jesus and treat all men the same! Muslims and every man! Love them no matter what they beleive!

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

For once, William and I agree 100%. I believe that we should love Muslims as much as anybody. In fact, the number of extremist Arabic Muslims is very, very small considering the number of Muslims living in the world who are not extremist.

I do say that our government has a right and duty to protect its citizens by using its military might to stop terrorist attacks. If you haven't notice, we have not had a major attack since 9/11 after which we started chasing Al Queda all over the map.

We are never to take on the military's role personally. This would be murder. But, the Bible does allow for the military to do it job in protecting its citizens.

13. standingfirminChrist

william, all the other versions contain the word of God, but are lacking in many areas.

I stick mainly to the KJV for this reason. I do not feel that another version is needed to understand the Word.

The two men who were walking on the road to Emmaeus talked amongst themselves after walking with Jesus and said, Luke 24:32 Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

They not only felt something as He talked, but He opened up the scripture to them. Many claim that they do not understand the KJV. In light of the passage in Luke 24, I believe if one truly wants to understand the KJV, God's Holy Spirit will open up the scripture to them.

14. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Back to the subject, which Bible is God's Word? I will name a few:
    KJV1611
    KJV1769
    NKJV
    NASB
    NIV
    ESV
    HSB
    among others.

If you will simply sit down and read these, you will find the exact same doctrines in each one and to say one or the other is watered down is such a subjective argument it doesn't stand for anything. I could find verses in the KJV that appear to be weaker translations than a new version; but, why should I because the KJV is a good translation--just not my favorite because I don't understand about 30% of the older English that was used.

Ever notice something funny. The book of Mormon was translated into the same type of English used in the KJV. It makes me wonder if Mr. Smith didn't think that writing like Shakespeare would make his book sound more pious.

15. william s. correa

Amen! God bless the USA!

16. william s. correa

Oh I agree whole heartedly with you cause God Has opened the Scriptures to me in Jerimiah 7:1-8 and my heart did burn within me! My defense is the KJB which spoke to my heart! I was called to preach out of those verses!Amen I have never felt a fire so real as in that day 11:00 a.m. Octiber 16th 2003! I beleive in fire baptism!

17. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cannot claim any particular knowledge, other than reading a few articles — but not just the fluff news stories about the virgins which, unfortunately, got all the attention when the book was published

I don't read Arabic or Aramaic, and Luxenberg's philology, for example, is far, far beyond me. Philology can be a dangerous way to approach texts, as Alexander Hislop proved.

As Richard Kroes wrote in his review, "Luxenberg's book is almost unreadable, certainly for the layman. One needs knowledge of eight languages (German, English, French, Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Arabic and Syriac) and of five different alphabets (Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Arabic, Estrangelo) to comprehend the book fully. A good working knowledge of German, Arabic and Syriac is indispensable to be able to assess the book." (So far as I know, the book has not been translated into English.)

However, as an outsider it seems to me that Luxenberg is on firmer ground — though certainly not without his critics — than Hislop, whose work continues to be quoted extensively (including on this board.)

There is also the work of Gerd R. Puin, a noted scholar (quoted in The Atlantic article) who is examining ancient Qu'ranic manuscripts found in Yemen, which seem to indicate that the Islamic notion of a text fixed at an early date is a myth.
    LIVIUS
    Kroes' full review and critique is available at:

18. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I absolutely hope this doesn't happen to you, or anyone else, of course, but if you're on a plane & some diaper-heads hijack it to crash into one of our buildings, be sure to tell them you love them, about 2 seconds before impact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.