1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Which Bible Verses are Ripped Out of Context Most and Applied to Everything?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by InTheLight, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are building those strawmen with such industry Ben.

We have no such doctrine or dogma as SP-SLFFG. And since we have never come close to your characterization that means that you are once again spinning falsehoods.
    Back to the "whosoever" dogma. Instead it's to the believing ones as even John 3:16 proclaims.

"As the Scripture says, 'Those who believe in him will never be put to shame."

Yes, the Lord richly blesses all who call on him. I have no problem with that. But of course, due to the pervasive corruption of humanity none would call on the Lord unless He enables them to do so.

A better translation :" for, 'Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.' "

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Philemon 1:6 has been a subject of confusion for a long time. But the text has nothing to do with evangelism. It's about the fellowship that believers have with one another.

The 1984 NIV was poorly translated here:"I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith" (6a)

The current NKJV and ESV contribute to the misunderstanding with "the sharing of your faith."

The NASU and WEB have an unclear rendering :"the fellowship of your faith"

The HCSB reading has a shaky "participation in the faith."

But the NIV has it rendered as "I pray that your partnership with us in the faith may be effective in deepening your understanding of every good thing we share for the sake of Christ."

That is stating the case plainly.

3. DMorgan

DMorgan Member

Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course God was talking to Israel. However, that does not mean that it cannot be applied anywhere else. Personally I have never seen anyone say it has something to do with the US. However, it can rightly be applied to us or any nation, person, community of people, church or individual.

Again, you are right on the context but the application is not limited to just Jesus.

5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Leave it to you to make this some kind of Cal/Arm argument.

Your posts makes it seem that TCassidy did not give the accurate rendering.

Attempting to take a swipe at a view, not only do you flail about in the wind missing the target, you also fail to address the issue of the OP. Flail will always fail.

If you think TCassidy is wrong in his translation work, then address him about it and what it is that is wrong with that translation.

But, you can't, and instead "flail and fail."

Give a better translation of the Greek? You can't do it. TCassidy was accurate and gave the translation prejudice to any view. A total failure to accurately read and comprehend on your part.

But you can mock, scorn, and present inappropriate attitude.

Back to the OP:

One of the most seriously taken away from context verses is a punctuation error in the KJV.
    "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help."

The psalmist is mocking the idol worship that was done on the hills and mountains. He is being sarcastic by comparing such worship to that of worship of the Creator of the hills and mountains.

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; From where shall my help come?"

6. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because a pharisee with extreme rigidity would point something like that out and try and bring a brother down such as saying "my goodness" is like using our Lord's name in vain....bringing burdens upon the brethren that is unnecessary.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Audience relevance first. Hodge crystalized it well with his first rule of scripture interpretation:

1. The Scriptures are to be taken in the sense attached to them in the age and by the people to whom they were addressed. (as in Robert Bork style of 'original intent' U.S. Constitution interpretation)

Now consider Christ's words here:

24 But he answered and said, I was not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. Mt 15

Great care needs to be taken before incorporating as doctrine for the Church those words He was speaking to those under the Mosaic Covenant.

IMO, the failure to follow this basic fundamental rule is the most common mistake that is made. First ascertain what the immediate audience was hearing, then derive applicable truth from the passage.

"'Tis ordinarily said, that the Jews were a typical people, the whole divine economy toward them is doctrinal and instructive to us, not immediately or literally, but by way of Anagogy" - Henry Hammond

#27 kyredneck, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Sounds sorta dispensational....Biggrin

9. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

....sounds shallow like it came from a dispensationalist....

10. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol. Weve all been there man. Well, at least most of us

11. BrandonA

BrandonA New Member

I constantly hear "God will never give you more than you can handle" as part of our theology of suffering. It's an awful distortion of 1 Corinthians 10:13: "No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."

It's a destructive distortion, because suffering WILL come and what will you do then? Additionally, 2 Corinthians 1 actually leads us to believe the exact opposite, when Paul describes being led into such difficult trial that "they despaired even of life". That sounds like more than he could handle.

And that's exactly the point. God does give us overwhelming trials, beyond our ability to endure, very intentionally. So that we will rely on his power to get us throgh, instead of our own power.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Most misunderstood verse:

2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Judge not lest ye be judged

• Like Like x 1
  14. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Explain. I use this verse all the time when I open air preach. I think the rendering is quite clear to anyone and not sure how you gather that this verse has been misunderstood.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you understand the verse?

16. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If anyone is born again he is a new creation. Old things have passed and all things have become new. False converts will still want to swim in their sin and this is the verse that I use to differentiate between recognizing a true and false convert. In other words the true convert will submit to the Lordship of Christ in time. This may not happen immediately but eventually it will.

I bet a donut you will disagree since you do not hold to Lordship theology.

17. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, it's funny you say that...Paul is making reference to the fact that we shouldn't look at the external things of a man to judge what Christ has wrought in him...look at the previous verse...

Although we use to know Christ in the flesh, we don't consider him to be "in the flesh " any longer, but He is looked on as the Risen, Glorified Christ of God, King of Kings and Lord of lords!!!

so Paul's exhortation is continually be reconciled to God for sanctification and stop letting brother' and Sister's shortcomings (or differences) allow you to forget they are part of God's family! Use your spiritual eyes when you look on someone. Have a burden for the lost and have a burden to encourage fellow Christian. Stop looking at the flesh!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

2Co 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
    2Co 5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
    2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Consider the context.
    vs. 15. Because Christ died we should not live unto ourselves but unto Christ who died and rose again for "them," that is others.
    The Corinthian church was not only mixed and divided by race, that is, Gentile and Jew, but also in other ways: rich and poor, by trade and by caste, etc. Corinth was a port city with a diverse culture.

vs. 16. Henceforth know we no man after the flesh. This is the key part of the passage. Whether Jew or Gentile, rich or poor, banker or carpenter, once one is saved we no longer know that person after the flesh. We are one in Christ. The rich person must be able to fellowship with the poor person. That wasn't the case in 1Cor.11 when the rich gathered together and were drunk and gluttonous before the Lord's Supper. Jews cannot disassociate themselves from the Gentiles.
    "We know no man after the flesh." It doesn't matter if he is or was a banker before he was saved. Now he is a brother in Christ. Just like in the Book of Philemon: Onesimus once was a thief and a slave. In the end he was a servant and a brother in Christ.

Many of them knew Christ after the flesh. The epistle was written in 55 A.D. and it is possible that they had seen Christ. But we do not know him in the flesh any longer.

Therefore if any man be in Christ he is a new creature. This means that we know him as a brother or sister in Christ, not as a banker, carpenter, Irishmen, Jew, or whatever differentiation we would have made in the past. We know each other because we are one in Christ.
    Old things are passed away: That is our old lives; not just the old sinful lives but rather what distinguished us in our old life.
    For example: See George, he's the banker in town. Now, See George, he's the deacon in church.
    Our lives affect others.
    No man lives unto himself. We affect others. Are we affecting them for Christ? Or are we affecting them toward being a better carpenter, banker, etc. The latter may not be bad in and of itself. But what is our primary purpose in life. Old things are passed away. All, and that is ALL things are become new.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL is every verse in LS referencing true and false converts!!?!?!? Wow...questioning everyone's salvation all the time has to get old. Christ says judge with righteous judgment...and it is difficult to judge someone's salvation from an external perspective.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do like donuts. I could eat one right now thinking about my firm belief that Jesus is my Lord and Savior, for he cannot be one without being the other. But instead I'm going to bed.