1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Christian group do you belong to?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Gold Dragon, Jan 11, 2006.

?
  1. Southern Baptist

46.5%
  2. Independent Fundamentalist Baptist

9.9%
  3. Independent Baptist

3.0%
  4. American Baptist Churches

1.0%
  5. National Baptist Convention USA

6.9%
  6. Reformed Baptist (Particular, Regular, Primitive, etc)

3.0%
  7. Free-will Baptist (General, etc)

7.9%
  8. Other Baptist (Seventh-Day, etc)

4.0%
  9. Non-denominational (Congregationalist, Calvary Chapel, Evangelical Free, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Mennonite (Mennonite Brethren, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Other Anabaptist (Amish, Hutterite, Brethren, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Quakers (Shakers, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Restorationist (Church of Christ, Disciples of Christ, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Uniting Churches (United Church of Christ, United Church of Canada, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Adventist (Seventh Day Adventist, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Wesleyan (Methodist, Salvation Army, etc)

1.0%
  17. Holiness (Nazarene, C&MA, Vineyard, etc)

3.0%
  18. Pentecostal (Assemblies of God, etc)

4.0%
  19. Reformed (Presbyterian, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Lutheran

1.0%
  21. Anglican (Episcopal, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. Orthodox (Eastern Orthodox, etc)

1.0%
  23. Catholic (Roman Catholic, etc)

7.9%
  24. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I sorta bunched a few unrelated traditions into Non-denominational. It is surprising that you single out Calvary Chapel because I felt it was the most "non-denominational" denomination ;) of the ones I included.

2. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is a better quote from the original Calvary Chapel started by Chuck Smith.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I know that CC churches claim to not be a denomination, but if it looks like a duck, walk like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. My wife agrees. I know many Calvareans, and most of them agree. Those who don't have said "yeah, there are parts of it that operate like a denomination, but it's not really a denomination". Either way, it's not that big of a deal, really. Of note is that the Calvareans that I know who say "it's not a denomination" tend to be anti-denominational, and those who say it is have no problems with denominationalism. So it appears that one's view of whether it's denoninational or not depends on your opinion of denominations. That puts Calvary Chapels in teh unique position of having their cake and eating it too.

Please note that I'm not slamming Calvary Chapels. Having attended several with some regularity, I support them wholely on a spiritual level. Though Chuck Smith is now long in the tooth, he's still a great guy.

4. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Johnv --

I have friends (actually relatives of a friend) that attend an evangelical Quaker church in the Yorba Linda area. (I was not familiar with these types of Quaker churches until I met them.) They are very happy with this church. I don't know if it is the same one or not, but I know they are happy there (or at least they were when I met them). Godspeed in finding the right church for you and your bride.

5. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed. I joke with CC friends that they are the largest non-denominational denomination in the US. [​IMG]

6. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had to say "Other Baptist"
    Conservative Baptist in America (CBA)
    Mid-Atlantic Conservative Baptist Association (MACBA), specifically

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Historic Northern Baptist. IFB\IB covers both folks who came out of the old Northern\ new American Baptist Convention and those who came out from the SBC. In my case, I fellowship with the Fundamental Baptist Fellowship. The FBF was organized by Historic Northern Baptists who came out of the N\ABC in the late forties.

[ January 12, 2006, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Squire Robertsson ]

8. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Grew up SBC never even hearing of IFB. But now, I don't think I would ever go anywhere else other than IFB.

9. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

By Reformed baptist, I am referring to those churches strongly influenced by calvinistic or reformed tradition and/or theology who do not fit more strongly in any of the other Baptist categories. It is not meant to describe baptists who have reformed in some way. Thanks. </font>[/QUOTE]Again, I must say I don't consider Primitive Baptists as being "influenced by calvinistic or reformed tradition." It should perhaps be the other way around. Calvinism and reformed theology were influenced by our primitivistic churches (Primitive, Regular, and Particular Baptists).

I, and I'm sure the other people in this sub-group as well, would have better like the phrase "Primitivistic Baptist" rather than Reformed Baptist.

Of course, it's your poll, and you still got the same answer from me either way. I just like to stir the pot. :D

10. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I'm not quite sure why 20 miles is a problem, Johnv.

I drive about 30 miles to church every Sunday. Our Pastor drives closer to 40.

I wouldn't let so small a distance prevent me from going to the place I wanted to worship, and I hope you won't let it prevent you either, if that's where you really want to worship.

11. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Fair enough. For simplification, I had to group some smaller similar Baptist groups (in my mind) or else we would have over 100 choices just for Baptists alone to choose from with one or two votes for each. Not very useful as a poll. ;) Thanks for the feedback.

I am surprised by the complete lack of representation so far from the ABC, NBC-USA and Free-Will Baptists. I also thought we had more variety of representation from other non-Baptist groups.

12. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Gold Dragon, I just got back to this thread. Two pages ago you asked would I have chosen a category of Christian attending a Baptist church. Absolutely.
    Ed

14. Bugman

Bugman New Member

I choose Reformed, since I hold to the Reformed beliefs, although I attend a non-denominational church.

Bryan
    SDG

15. nate

nate New Member

Anglican/Episcopal. But actaully Reformed Episcopal Church. (We're one the conservative side. In fact we just joined the Church of Nigeria in condemning homosexuality.)

16. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

"Other Baptist"
    Baptist General Conference

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The preacher asked "Paw-Paw"---

"Paw-Paw! What would you be if you weren't Southern Baptist???"

To which Paw-Paw respons

"Preacher! If I weren't a Southern Baptist---I'd just be plumb ashamed!!"

18. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I am surprised by the complete lack of representation so far from the ABC, NBC-USA and Free-Will Baptists. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I just went in and logged an American Baptist for you. In fact I am preaching at our church this morning as our pastor attends meetings associated with ABC-USA's general board. However, we are also associated with the SBC, as are many of the churches in the District of Columbia Baptist Convention. It is a historically dually-aligned body, going back to Reconstruction times, when Baptist leaders in the nation's capital decided not to perpetuate sectionalism here. A few years back I chaired a committee that led the way for our Convention to be TRIPLY aligned -- we added affiliation to the Progressive National Baptist Convention. Of course, that does not commit our churches to such an affiliation if they do not wish it.

19. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Primitive Baptist, and will remain Primitive, thank you.

Johnv, a husband and wife in our church live in Frederick, Maryland. The church is at Burtonsville, Maryland, and that will be about 45 miles, give or take a few miles.

Another, a widow, 85 years old, lives up in Pittsburgh, and if her daughter were home regularly, the daughter would be willing to drive the 85 miles to church every Sunday (and she's not even a member) so her mother could be with her people.

Another elder, 101 years old now, and staying in a retirement home in Delaware, more or less a hundred miles away, would have himself driven down to church whenever anyone was willing to, but, especially when we had our Lord's Table.

Distance is not an issue nowadays, compared to the days of horse and buggy, and even then, I understand from our 101 year old, people would 'ride' miles to get to their own, local church of membership.

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Chaplain in the Virgina Defense Force was (and still is) Reformed Episcopal. and I really enjoyed his preaching at chapel. He lives in Roanoke, VA