1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which churches are growing?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, Jul 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadworm

Deadworm Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As most of you know, I'm a Methodist who has great respect for Roman Catholic spirituality and scholarship. That said, I can't fully understand why they are growing, especially the RC church in my home town. Catholics tell me they are attracted by the unchanging mass. That's very nice, but as a pastor, I always felt pressure to provide enough variety and innovation to keep worship interesting and I can't grasp the Catholic disdain for variety in worship.

This thread will soon be closed; so I will close with this claim: no denomination is worse than Roman Catholicism at its worst (e. g. child sex scandals and the Spanish Inquisition), but no denomination is better than Roman Catholicism at its best (e. g. their spiritual direction program, spiritual retreats, and rich tradition of centuries of neglected spiritual insights). My challenge is to keep my focus on the positives.

2. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would be interested in you reviving a thread that you started a few years back that explored this. Many churches are stuck doing the same things they have always done because at one time the things they are doing was effective as a way to communicate the gospel. I will see if I can find that thread. One of your suggestions was to meet in a pub. Flinging open the church doors on Sunday morning, evening and Weds evenings just isn't working anymore.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I totally am ok with having meetings in pubs and bars... are you saying you have a problem with it. I also believe AA meetings are a good meeting place, also fire houses, libraries, schools, court houses and community centers.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely and because they are Trinitarian, I for one consider them Christian and don’t look down my nose at them.

5. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No problem whatsoever. I just used it as an example because your suggestion was met with a bit of resistance and I was hoping you might remember the actual heading for the thread. Your suggestions were some I have rarely heard among those concerned about the church 'being out of touch with the community'.

6. Deadworm

Deadworm Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have a book about a church that rents a Strip Joint and packs them in. It strikes me that churches that rent very secular places like schools often grow much more than churches with stereotypical church architecture (steeples, vaulted ceilings, stain glass windows, etc.). On a different note, I don't really understand the modern disdain for a church organ. I love a good praise band (guitars, drums, etc.), but I like variety and the majesty of a competent organist helps me experience awe and reverence during worship. Yet an acquaintance once overheard a visiting teen complaining to his friend: "Can you believe it? They still sing hymns and use the organ. Yuck!" I guess the younger generation no longer appreciates Bach's organ compositions. Sigh!

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Frankly people are tired of lazy church services. Tired of listening to stuff that has nothing to do with peoples day to day struggles...tired of our ideas and theologies. What they will listen to is love. They will believe in life given and received.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ha ha ha, that was our families breakfast conversation today... I love Bach and the organ music, especially Air.:Thumbsup This is strings but I likes it.

#148 Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.