1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which cults were founded using only the NIV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TC, Apr 2, 2007.

1. mnw

mnw New Member

:thumbs: :applause:

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Join the No-Version Cult!

Now, I've been reading this thread, watching 24 with a new VP (Powers Booth who played Jim Jones ages and ages ago), AND stripping wall paper and popcorn ceiling in my kitchen this week. OBVIOUSLY way too much time for thinking -- and it's got me thinking about cults -- like that one that Jim Jones (The People's Temple) took off to Guyana and eventually killed everyone with poison laced koolaid when Congressman Ryan went down to investigate.

The kitchen is coming along nicely though even with my morbid thoughts on cults and mass suicides and entire groups of people willing to die for what? A lunitic *sigh* Why is it so easy to accept an erroneous message and so hard to see the truth?

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Methinks you have been sniffing too much wallpaper remover.

:smilewinkgrin: :laugh:

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe every pseudo-Christian cult such as Jabroney False Witless, Mor(m) on, Seven-Way Adlibber, etc. were formed by misuse of Scripture from some valid BV, while those such as the Moonies have used other sources.

6. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Because the inner man or woman doesn't want to believe what the Bible says, especially on some of the harder matters. If someone comes up with something that sounds better to the humanistic side in each of us then there are those who iwll jump on the bandwagon. That's one reason why Jim Jones and David Koresh (sp?) had such followings. Satan is indeed working overtime to try to get folks to disbelieve what the Bible really says!

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I do know that's the truth of the matter, I just don't want it to be so! BECAUSE when those people die, they go to hell for a lie. I know that's what Satan wants. It breaks my heart. It breaks my heart that it's so easy and so often and so pervasive . . . when the Truth is within reach and most have heard it and rejected it for a lie.

8. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The poster in the other thread seemed to imply that, so I gave him a place to put forth his proof here without getting the other thread off topic.

It was only silly of me to think that the guy would actually try to back up his assertions with proof.

9. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those who started cults generally began with the KJV because it was the only widespread English version around at the time. However, as the cults tried to expand, they had a problem with prospective members seeing the cults' doctrines clashed with the Scriptures as found in the KJV. Thus, they made their own versions that agreed with the cults' doctrines.

Koresh twisted Scripture by applying some of the prophecies about Christ to himself, saying he was one of the two witnesses prophesied about in Revelation.

10. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Hasn't it been longer than 3 1/2 days (or even years) since he died? (Rev 11:11) Guess we just missed his resurrection, huh? Wonder who the other witness was/is???

:laugh: :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Ya' beat me to it! Can't insert any more smilies so I'll just have to type 'em out! {laugh} {laugh} {laugh}

#31 EdSutton, Apr 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2007
  12. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Ed, I pity you - you're starting to think like me...

:laugh: :rolleyes: (left room for smilies)