1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which denoms are Christian enough for the Other Christian Denominations forum?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by mioque, Dec 18, 2004.

?
  1. Latin Rite Catholicism (Roman Catholicism)

63.0%
  2. Eastern Rite Catholicism (Byzantine Catholicism)

1.4%
  3. Eastern-Orthodoxy (for example Greek-Orthodox)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Oriental Orthodoxy (for example Ethiopian-Orthodox)

9.6%
  5. Messianic Jews

6.8%
  6. Methodism

2.7%
  7. Calvinism (Reformed churches)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The Pentecostal movement

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Lutheranism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Seven Day Adventism

4.1%
  11. Mormonism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Jehovah's Witnesses

12.3%
  13. Anglicanism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mercury

Mercury New Member

No it isn't. The plain meaning of Psalm 14:1 is the same for you or me or anyone else who simply reads the verse without chopping it halfway down the middle. By contrast, the plain meaning of 1 Peter 3:21 is contrary to what we both believe, and reading the verses surrounding it does not clearly remove the problem. The problem isn't unworkable, but to claim that it is as simple as reading Psalm 14:1 correctly is, to put it most charitably, hyperbole.

On this principle we agree. When a passage seems to contradict what God has elsewhere revealed more clearly, then perhaps our interpretation of the passage is faulty.

Why go back a verse or two when the verse we're discussing says "and this water symbolizes baptism"? The point of looking to context isn't to erase the words under examination, but rather to more fully understand them.

I think you're making it far more difficult than it needs to be, and adding a lot of symbolism that isn't necessary to read this passage correctly. The passage says "this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also" and goes on to say "it saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ". To me, the solution is simple. Baptism represents a person's surrender to Jesus and acceptance of Jesus' death and resurrection. Baptism is the outward sign of that decision.

It's similar to saying that through a wedding ring a person is married; the exchange of rings (in our culture, at least) is part of the way a couple publicly shows the commitment they have made to each other. To cop Paul's wording, "This ring now unites you -- not by the placing of gold on a finger but by this pledge of lifelong commitment to each other. It unites you by your shared love and commitment." And so, it's possible for someone to be saved without baptism, such as the thief on the cross who had no opportunity to be baptised, as long as what baptism is to represent has taken place. Similarly, baptism without making this commitment is worthless. Baptism is the prescribed way to show that a commitment to Jesus has been made. In this passage, it is used interchangeably with the commitment itself.

I don't disagree with ultimate conclusion on this matter, DHK, just your method of arriving at it.

2. Grace

Grace New Member

LOL..I've really got to wear my glasses..thought it said "which Demons are Christian enough..."

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes your right. "The like figure unto" sets it off immediately as an illustration, which in that context becomes more simple to explain.
    DHK