1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which do you have a desire for at times? (Private Poll)

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Joe, Oct 21, 2007.

?
  1. Smoking cigarettes

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Drinking too much alcohol. Or any amount if you view it as sin

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Gambling

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. Smoke Pot (Recreational Use only)

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Steal

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Same Sex attraction

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Flirt (If married) or view racy pics in magazines or online, including movies.

21 vote(s)
    45.7%
  8. Eat too much (Not at one sitting, I mean gluttony)

23 vote(s)
    50.0%
  9. Abusing perscription drugs like painkillers

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  10. Spending too much money on non-neccessities causing debt

16 vote(s)
    34.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Joe

Joe New Member

Hello everyone

Which of these do you having a desire for at times? This is a Private Poll.

This includes a small desire from time to time to an actual temptation one is struggling with.

After some have voted, then I will then vote. Sorry, this was suppose to be in the poll section

#1 Joe, Oct 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2007
  2. Joe

Joe New Member

Hoping a few more folks will vote

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

You need a "None of the above" and "Other" choices.

4. Joe

Joe New Member

Yeah, I agree. I assumed there would be no one choosing "none of the above" or we wouldn't be human. Should have included it thought. There are temptations I didn't consider

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

There are things that do tempt me, but truly, none of these give me personally any problem. I am not saying I am without temptations, but mine just aren't on this list.

6. Joe

Joe New Member

If I can think of enough to compile another list, I will do a second poll in the poll section. Thanks

7. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Here is a suggestion, that I KNOW afflicts me.

Do you ever have a desire to : Waste Time.

Really, sloth is one of the major sins. I'm not saying I don't struggle with the other sins mentioned, but for me, Sloth is the chief sin in my life.

8. Joe

Joe New Member

Ok, I'll keep sloth in mind. In fact, I better go finish cleaning the house :)

9. North Carolina Tentmaker

Wait a minute, your talking about wasting time on Baptist Board. Now that might be hypocritical. :laugh:

I am going to go ahead and vote Joe, but I am afraid you are not going to see much participation. A lot of people here don't want to admit to temptation even if its real. That is really sad because we are all tempted and shared accountability and understanding can be a great help in overcoming it.

10. Joe

Joe New Member

So true tentmaker.
    Thanks for voting

I refrained from checking a box I should have, so I understand. But the results are private, and do help.

When getting ready for church yesterday, I noticed a few of my shirts are a bit tight. I remembered this poll. Some of my clothing is now going to good will.

#10 Joe, Oct 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2007
  11. 4boys4joys

4boys4joys New Member

I would just like to know why the poll was created and the purpose that it would serve. I do not know how encouraging it will be to see how many people are struggling with sin.

Yes I understand that admitting it is the first step to repentance, but admitting it to the Lord first and not our bretheren. As a woman I can honestly say that you will admit a sin to a fellow sister in Christ and feel bad about that but never actually take time in prayer to repent.

Even as a private poll you may feel inclined to admit it, but I would hate to admit to it in a poll and leave it there. That is why I was wondering what the purpose of the poll is how it could help others.

If we repent to the Lord first and then tell someone in the Lord we can trust our sin and have them hold us accountable then we are truly serious about laying it aside.

I hope that what I have said goes without saying and that you could explain the relevence of the poll.

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It's encouraging to me.

13. 4boys4joys

4boys4joys New Member

Why is it encouraging to you ?

14. North Carolina Tentmaker

To me the encouragement comes in the fact that we are not alone. We all suffer with temptation, even Christ was tempted. But too often, especially in baptist circles we act like we are never tempted and never even want to sin. So then when someone, especially a weaker brother, is tempted with something they feel shame and instead of confessing and dealing with problems they become buried. Instead of encouraging and helping one another we isolate ourselves in fear and condemn those who are in reality no more righteous than we are. We become like the Pharisee in Luke 18, remember his prayer? (Luke 18:11-12)
    I think I heard this guy give a testimony a few weeks ago:tear:

15. npetreley

npetreley New Member

What Tentmaker said. It's encouraging because I know I'm not alone.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

From another thread, you should have added chewing gum in church. :laugh:

17. 4boys4joys

4boys4joys New Member

I can see how it would be encouragement to see we are not alone if we struggle with the same sin as someone else.

I just don't want to fall victim to comparison or justification of what I do because of what I know of others. As Baptists we also tend to compare and justify. I try to keep the balance between knowing that there are others that struggle with sin but not to let that fact that many struggle with that sin, keep me from allowing God to help me with it and repent.

Something that no one has stated here. There are sins that I struggle with now that are different than before I was saved. When God changes your lifestyle or circumstances because of your salvation you will face different situations sometimes than when you were lost. Just a thought. It may also be that you struggle now because you do not realize what you were doing as a lost person or God's pruning or both.

18. Joe

Joe New Member

huh? :confused: If knowing of others desires/temptations is going to justify anything for you (sinning?) then I suggest you pray and ask God for strength. This fear will only prevent you from forming healthy relationships.

I am baptist and I don't know what you are talking about.

Huh :confused: I have no idea why you feel the fact that others struggle with sin could "keep you from allowing God to help you with it and repent"
    We will struggle with desires and temptations as long as we are in the flesh.

#18 Joe, Oct 22, 2007
  19. standingfirminChrist

Since some are not tempted by any of the listed sins, do you expect them to lie and say they are?... oh, wait a minute.

I can honestly say I am not tempted by any of those sins on the list... not in the least little bit.

20. Joe

Joe New Member

Excuse me? Who here would desire one to lie in a Baptist Poll?

Ok. I can understand that considering your answer, and the additional emphasis of your words "not in the least little bit"

SFIC, A night or so ago, I asked you why someone called you Slick. You answered me with it is a repeatid attack on your character, and explained in detail what occurred. I felt bad and asked the party why they continue to call you Slick, even though you have asked them to stop. Then I offered to report it in the future.
    So soon, now you are doing the same thing to another poster without warrant, questioning their character, despite knowing how lousy that feels.

#20 Joe, Oct 22, 2007