1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which do you have a desire for at times? (Private Poll)

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Joe, Oct 21, 2007.

?
  1. Smoking cigarettes

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Drinking too much alcohol. Or any amount if you view it as sin

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Gambling

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. Smoke Pot (Recreational Use only)

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Steal

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Same Sex attraction

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Flirt (If married) or view racy pics in magazines or online, including movies.

21 vote(s)
    45.7%
  8. Eat too much (Not at one sitting, I mean gluttony)

23 vote(s)
    50.0%
  9. Abusing perscription drugs like painkillers

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  10. Spending too much money on non-neccessities causing debt

16 vote(s)
    34.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Joe

Joe New Member

I know from your first post you have been trying very hard to surmise my intent in creating this poll. If this is going to suffice as your answer, then so be it.
    But really, it was just done on a whim.

#41 Joe, Oct 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2007
  2. North Carolina Tentmaker

Joe - thanks for the thread and for the defense earlier, I am ok, really. I think 4boys has a point when she says:
    Sometimes I think there is a comfort in knowing others struggle like we do and we are not alone. But on the other side I have heard confessions that were more like bragging and self justification then repentance and godly remorse. I think we just need to use a little judgement here. Just like the self righteous hypocrite can play the 'I am holier than you are so I love God more' game we can also play the 'I was a bigger sinner than you were so I love God more now' game. Neither of these of course gives God the glory for our salvation or our sanctification.

3. 4boys4joys

4boys4joys New Member

I do not see the harm in asking or wondering about the poll. If you post a poll or a comment in any thread does that not allow for some to have questions ? Please look at the comment about seeing the human side of fellow posters in the context of my ENTIRE post. I did not quote you in that post. It was not in response to or an attempt to continue a discussion.

My comment was about those who said they do not struggle with some or all of the sin on your list. I would hope that I could make a general comment within a thread that you are a part of without you thinking that I am in some way making that comment to you directly,because if you read the whole post you I think you would see that, and you may also see that our views may be more similar than you think which was said before.

4. standingfirminChrist

Joe,

As Tentmaker said earlier, he did not take what I said as an attack. It seems you are the one who thinks it was.

If I have offended you, please forgive me. I only posed a question to show that some could not vote on any of those things the poll wasdirected to.

I did say I struggle from time to time with sin, but none of those.

I was not trying to debate.

As to the 'grow up' comment, all of us need to grow in Christ.

5. Joe

Joe New Member

[QUOTE=standingfirminChrist]Since some are not tempted by any of the listed sins, do you expect them to lie and say they are?... oh, wait a minute.
    I can honestly say I am not tempted by any of those sins on the list... not in the least little bit.

:rolleyes: Glad Tentmaker forgave you, but that doesn't justify it. Proof is above and in post #17 Nor does it make it ok for you to continue, it happens too much. Apologize or let it be

#45 Joe, Oct 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2007
  6. standingfirminChrist

Tentmaker saw it for what it was, not an attack.

7. Joe

Joe New Member

Below is a copy of your first post. I was referring to this when answering again "that it was done on a whim". To answer you, yes all polls allow for questions but most people don't place them as the beginning sentence and then refer to the same question multiple times in the same post and ending with the same question. That's all, no problem or explanation needed. We're all different. It's all fine :) Hope you have a great day

#47 Joe, Oct 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2007
  8. North Carolina Tentmaker

Guys,

Quit putting me in the middle of this. I am neither offended nor hurt and I don’t feel I was attacked but I am getting a bit irritated. If you have a personal axe to grind with each other do it without mentioning me. This poll was conducting a decent discussion on how knowing other people are tempted and how that can be a help or a hindrance to brothers and sisters in Christ.

Everyone is tempted, but everyone is tempted in different ways. You want a better list of sins to poll people on, try the 10 commandments. I love the evangelism show Kirk Cameron does on TV using the 10 commandments to lead people to Christ.

Most people, especially lost folks, if you asked them, “Do you keep the 10 commandments?” they would initially answer yes. But then you go through the list. OK, you never killed anyone; you never cheated on your wife, but get down to the end. Have you ever coveted something someone else had? Now that is a pretty hard commandment to keep. Not to condemn anyone but I don’t think anyone can keep that. Then factor in what Jesus told us in Matt 5:17-28. He said that lust in our hearts is the same as adultery and that hate toward our brother is the same as murder. The Pharisees kept the letter of the Law, but Jesus explained that God is concerned not only with the actions we do but with the attitudes and intentions of our heart. Now can you keep that law? Now tell me how you have no other god’s before Him. Tell me how you keep the Sabbath day and honor your parents. When we apply God’s standard the way God intended every one of us has broken every one of the commandments, and don’t even think about bearing false witness and telling me you have not.

I don’t think anyone here is trying to say they are holier than anyone else, we are all sinners. We just all don’t commit the same sins in the same ways. What is wrong with that?

9. North Carolina Tentmaker

Wow, I just wanted to share something from an email devotional I get everyday. I don’t know how many of you subscribe to “Today’s Word” but I get an email devotional from them every morning. Today’s is from Gal 6:2 and I am going to post the entire article because it seems so relevant to this discussion to me.

10. standingfirminChrist

Thanks, Tentmaker...

Today's Word has a very timely message. May we all etch it upon our hearts and carry it as an effective witness for Christ.

Again, thanks.