1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Hebrew Bible?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rob_BW, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My beloved wife has voiced an interest in learning Hebrew. I think I'm going to get her a copy for her birthday, and follow up with a textbook/workbook combo in a few more years. She's currently in school for Nurse Practitioner, and working full time, so I think I'll pick up the text now so she has something to look forward to, and the textbook later when she has more time to study.

Anyways, is the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia the standard answer to my question? I was looking at the BHS Reader's Edition, as I am happy with my UBS Reader's Edition.

As for a textbook, is Pratico and Van Pelt's Basics of Biblical Hebrew the best choice, or should I be considering something else?

And thanks in advance for the help everyone.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't bother with purchasing the BHS. Digitization makes it a relic.

However for a beginner, the Hebrew Reader's Edition is similar to the UBS Greek version, offering simple helps at the bottom of each page.

When I purchased one quite a few years back they accidentally sent me two. They didn't ask me to return the second but refunded me the money.

Send me your address and I'll send it to you. It's like new, still in the box!

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, a special thanks to @Deacon for the assist.

And I would still like to hear everyone's opinions on textbooks.