1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which is better, ESV or NASB?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by uhdum, May 5, 2003.

1. uhdum

uhdum New Member

This isn't a KJV/MV debate thread, so please don't fill this thread with posts of that nature :D

I am curious as to which literal translation is the better one... the NASB or the recently-published ESV?

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say the ESV. But that has more to do with the flow of the language then the actual translation.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I prefer the ESV, but it's hard to break away from the NASB :D I'd love to see both in a parallel Bible, side-by-side.

4. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I am an ESV guy myself. Haven't done any real side by side Greek comparisons though. That is rather moot since there are extremely capable translators on both sides and neither is probably right or wrong but just demonstrating where the Greek (or Hebrew) can mean two different things.

5. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

I would prefer the ESV any day of the week. [​IMG]

Neal

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thought the ASV1901 was poor and stilted reading (compared to the AV1611). But relatively accurate to the Greek.

Its revision, the NASV, was NOT a welcome change. I found it even more formal and wooden in reading.

Have only read on-line sections of the ESV but would have to opt for it over either the old or new American Standard bibles.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I recommend picking up a cheap copy, such as a pew Bible, to acquaint yourself with the ESV.

8. Deekay

Deekay New Member

I'm starting to use the ESV more and more. Aside from the translation itself (which seems both more literary and more literal than the NASB), I prefer its paragraph format. The NASB follows KJV in printing each verse by itself, which I personally find distracting. [​IMG]

9. Marathon Man

Marathon Man New Member

While I have loved and appreciated the NASB for many years, I do feel that the ESV is a translation that maintains its high level of accuracy, while improving the overall literary quality and readability. Thus, I would have to give the ESV the nod (although the NASB remains an excellent translation as well).

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

You can get NASBs that are in paragraph form. I have an ultrathin that is like this.

11. Keith M

Keith M New Member

The only problem with the more economical versions is that they do not include the computer disk that goes with the more costly versions...

12. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Hey, for anyone interested, I went into LifeWay Christian Stores to get the latest Steven Curtis Chapman disc, and there was an ESV (a THINLINE too!!) for only $19.95.
    As my name implies, I am in Richmond, VA, but I would imagine that you could get that price in any LifeWay store.

I have several different versions of the Bible, and I really love the ESV.

Unfortunately, I paid much more.

13. Tony F

Tony F New Member

I prefer the ESV over the NASB. I think the translation is very well done, additionally I think the ESV is better for public reading over the NASB. The disc that comes with the ESV is also very nice and has some upgrades you can add as well. My church uses the NIV (which I am not a big fan of) but more and more I see our elders reading from the ESV for the Scripture reading portion of our worship service. There are a few of us at the church that have been telling people about the ESV so I think it is catching on.

http://www.esv-bibles.com has good pricing on the various bindings and some other info about the translation too.

14. Thomas

Thomas New Member

I can now answer with some personal experience. I have read the NASB a few times (completely) and have just finished a reading of the ESV.

I prefer the Updated NASB for a number of personal reasons. Personally, I was disapointed in the ESV.

Just one opinion.

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'd love to hear why you were disappointed.