1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Is More Accurate?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Mike Richards, May 24, 2005.

1. Which of the two following English translations do you believe to be more "accurate":ESV or NASB? What is the basis of your conclusion?

Sincerely,
    Mike Richards

2. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

I can't wait to see this. :D

lacy

3. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Sorry I can't give you a real answer, Mike. I have not used the ESV very much, so I can't actually say how accurate I think it is. On the other hand, I have used the NASB for several years.

BTW, I pray this doesn't turn into a KJVO debate, as the question has nothing at all to do with the KJV...

4. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Well, it didn't till you brought it up. (just kidding, I couldn't resist)

I am interested in the answers to this one. I have the NAS Electronic Study Bible on CD and use it all the time.

5. obscureone

obscureone New Member

From my persopective, it seems the ESV is more reliant on the CT rather than the slightly more eclectic stance of the NASB. Thus there will some minor differences. One of my personal concerns with the ESV is their "fill in the blank" approach to 1 Sam 13:1.

6. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

That is because the RSV does the same thing!

7. icthus

icthus New Member

Can anyone tell me why there was the need to produce yet another English Version of the Bible? What has the ESV got that the others before it, which also claim to be easier to read, and more accurate, and the other sellings lines that the NIV, etc have used?

There are only two English Versions worth reading, the KJV and the NKJV.

8. patrick

patrick New Member

I like the accuracy of the New American Standerd. It lacks a little in flow. I do use it often.

We get caught up in debate over which translation is right. I feel we lose the imprtance of the Word of God itself. It isn't one or the other. God didn't mandate 1611 or Nasb. His Word will preach no matter which translation we use.

Let's quit focusing on minors and start leading a lost and dying world to the foot of the cross.

9. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about the modern-spelling editions of Tyndale's and the reprints of the Geneva Bible?
    What about the Modern King James Version, the 1994 21st Century King James Version, the King James 2000 Version?

10. icthus

icthus New Member

What about the modern-spelling editions of Tyndale's and the reprints of the Geneva Bible?
    What about the Modern King James Version, the 1994 21st Century King James Version, the King James 2000 Version?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Is there a need for so many versions, if all are meant to be saying the same thing?

11. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Is there a need for so many versions

Apparently you have no need of them. Congratulations!

12. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there a need for so many versions, if all are meant to be saying the same thing? </font>[/QUOTE]There is as much need for them as there was need for the KJV in 1611 when English-speaking believers already had available several good English versions. Since the English language has changed more in the almost 400 years from 1611 until this day than it had in less than 100 years from 1526 until 1611, it could be reasonably argued that there is more need for them than there was for the KJV. The Geneva Bible was the best loved, widely accepted, and good English translation of that day.

13. Keith M

Keith M New Member

:rolleyes:

14. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

icthus said:

There are only two English Versions worth reading, the KJV and the NKJV.

Great! Stick with them, if it makes you happy, and keep your nose out of our business.

15. Michael52

Michael52 Member

Agreed, except to add the NASB and the ESV! ;)

On the point of the OP.
    In my non-learned opinion, the NASB is more accurate than the ESV in regard to "mechanical" translation (the text notes giving alternative or literal wording is very useful). That is to say, it pays closer attention to the original tenses and is usually, but not always, more literal, corresponding in a word-for-word translation sense. However, it may be argued that the ESV is not less accurate in that it sometimes trys to bring out more of a nuanced translation. This may make it more accurate if comprehension is the criteria. When I am studying, I usually read both and find that even when they obviously differ in wording, they nearly always say (conceptually) the same thing. You can't go wrong with either one.

I personally find the ESV easier and more enjoyable to read. The ESV as well as the NKJV both approach the literary quality of the venerable KJV, which is a good thing.

(Edited to say: 300th post...Yippee!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] )

16. BruceB

BruceB New Member

Michael, Congrats on the 300th post! To your four selections I will add the HCSB and make it an uneven five!

To the actual topic at hand (ESV & NASB) I can only say that I like the NASB as I have one and use it for reference. I have only looked over the ESV at various stores and at www.Biblegateway.com I like what I have read, but no extensive knowledge. Bruce