1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which is your "definition" of KJV Only?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Dale-c, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

There is of course a sticky defining different categories of KJVO people.

I am curious to know which one the KJV advocates here fall under?

It is helpful to know what someone actually believes so you don't misrepresent.

2. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would define KJVO as someone who thinks ONLY the KJV is God's Word, and all others are not to be used.

For the record, I prefer the KJV, I've used it my whole life, and I get accused of being KJVO because I try to defend it on here. I AM NOT KJVO, although I think there are too many translations out today which, I feel, makes for confusion when studying the Bible in group settings. As I posted elsewhere, my pastor uses/preaches from the NKJV, about 1/3 of my church uses the NIV or something else, and MOST use the NKJV, so you can see I have no problem with other versions.

Most KJVO believers would NOT attend a church where something besides the KJV was used.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

So you fall into the KJV preferred camp.

I agree that there is a glut of translations out there. Some are not very good to be sure.
    However, it is a good problem to have. There are countries and languages without any good translations at all.

By the way, I have no problem with your position at all.
    THe same gospel is in the KJV and NKJ as my ESV.

What I am hoping for here is to get a positive presentation of what true KJVO people actually believe and why they believe it.

I have found that you can talk to 5 different people and get 5 answers, all different.

4. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I dont' "fall into anyone's camp".

I will stick with the KJV.

call me what you'd like, but as far as anyone trying to say I am either a cult member or not, I will continue to use the KJV-notably to their dislikes.:flower:

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Harold, I named this thread poorly. I apologize.
    What I was getting at was why you stick with the KJV?

The following questions are what I am looking for:

1. Do you believe that the KJV is an inspired translation in a way that all other english translations are not?

2. Do you actually believe in the text base of the KJV or in the translation itself (ie a TR only position, but newer TR bibles would be acceptable?

Basically I am asking people which one of the 5 categories of KJVO they fit in or if they don't fit any of those, please explain why exactly you are KJVO

6. Thermodynamics

I use the AV(KJV) 100% of the time at church and about 99.5% of the time at home. However, I do not consider myself KJVO. I believe that the KJV is the best English translation and I believe that the manuscripts it is based on are better than the Critical Text manuscripts used by most MVs. However, I do not believe that the KJV is a perfect translation and I believe that it is possible that a better translation could come along one day.

My position is pretty close to #2 in the "Definitions" thread:

"KJVO #2 "I BELIEVE THE UNDERLYING GREEK/HEBREW TEXT OF THE KJV IS BEST"

This group believes that the MT (Majority Text) or the TR (Textus Receptus) -- even though there are obvious differences in the two -- are "superior" to all other Greek documents and more closely reflect the original autographs. They do not believe that the TR or the Majority Text is perfect in any one printed copy. They believe that the King James Version, based on this text, is the clearest and most accurate translation that we have in English today."

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Thermo, you have a similar view to what I was raised with.

I don't think there is much problem with this view.

I don't share your opinion on what the best greek text is but the same gospel is found in the majority text as the critical etc.
    In my opinion, that is a minor difference that is not a big deal to me.

8. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's no Scriptural support for ANY One-Versionism at all, and KJVO is entirely a MAN-MADE invention, with the current edition coming from a CULT OFFICIAL'S book, no less!

I agree with B4L's definition of KJVO. And I reject that doctrine in toto.

GOD knew that there'd be multiple correct English renderings for the Hebrew, Aramaic, & Koine Greek in which He originally gave His word to man, (Plus, whatever language Job & friends used), and so it's incorrect to try to LIMIT GOD to just one translation of his word into English. I don't believe that's His intent at all.

9. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

My thinking and faith in the KJV is found to be based upon earlier views of literature before the degrading of the verbage we see today started to take place.

I don't place people into catagories so I can discect them and attempt to destroy what they have come to know and trust.

Look into this:http://baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=61135 for an example

10. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I believe the process for discecting people with the 5 point list is secular reasoning and is man-made.

Faith in a particular version is not man-made, it is a decision to take a stand where others are always shifting by the most recently accepted opinion.

You are beating your "straw-horse" to death and are "toto" wrong.

11. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Harold Garvey, I have an honest question for you. First, let me say, I respect your beliefs and will not try to convert you away from them. I was just wondering if you attend a KJVO church, and if you do, would YOU , not anyone else, would YOU leave that church or any church, IF the pastor used, say a NKJV to preach from? Would a guest pastor be allowed to use a different version? As I said, my pastor, a VERY Godly man, uses the NKJV. I find it difficult to believe that he could be so wrong about Bible versions. His sermons are VERY Biblicaly sound, and our church beliefs are solid. Believe me, I've struggled for quite awhile with this very issue. I personally feel there are just way too many versions, but there are SOME that I think are OK. I don't like the NIV, for example, but a lot of people in my church use it. The NKJV seems to be the predominant version, although there are some of us older members (and younger,too) that just love the KJV. I'll stick with my KJV, but I believe there are others that are OK too.

#11 Baptist4life, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
  12. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

That is "non-sequitor", the pastor we now have reconstructed the bylaws and the church would sit anyone down who uses anything other than the KJV in the pulpit or any classrooms.

When it comes to anything after 1611 we are "KJVO", prior is to be discerned as those versions leading up to the KJV in that same line without deviations. This does not make us "KJVO". This does mean we take a stand.:thumbsup:

13. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can you say you're not a KJVO church?

14. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Because i dont buy into the idiomatic reasoning of the BB membership's opinion on the matter.

15. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God bless, my friend! I'm not trying to "argue" with you! :godisgood:

16. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Amen! I aprecaite your unbiased view in here.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two peas in a pod. Or perhaps another expression is apt -- Birds of a feather flock together.

18. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

"our church constitution does not allow for any other translations other than the KJV"
    "if you use any other translation it i inferior"

"how dare you call me a KJVO!"

HG, if the show fits, wear it.
    You are KJVO whether you like it or not.

19. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you even realize how you come across on here, or do you care?.:tear:

#19 Baptist4life, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
  20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Ignorance is not a virtue, either.

(B4L- I'm not saying YOU are ignorant, you understand?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.