1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Lexicon, and where to get it.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by puros_bran, Feb 19, 2009.

1. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have decided to undertake a self taught course in NT Greek. I have the UBS 4th ed, the grammer and workbook by Mounce, and several other resources. What I don't have is a Lexicon. I've found several online but I need a paper copy.
    In your opinion which of the various editions is the best?
    Where is the most economical place to secure one?

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How that saying go....?
    "The more I try to know [about Greek] the more I know I don't know."

Oh, I guess you should have a hardcover lexicon for your bookshelf.

As long as you're using Mounce, might as well get his lexicon;

The Analytical Lexicon to the Greek New Testament
    Zondervan (1992) [Amazon LINK]

[~ $25 on Fetchbook.info LINK]

If you get serious you might look at:
    A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature by Bauer, Gingrich, Danker

I'm not sure but Hendrickson might have put out a cheaper copy of it than the pricey original.

Sooner or later you'll find that software is more friendly and takes much of the work out of searching.

Rob

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The standard NT lexicon is Bauer Arndt Gingrich and Danker. There is a "Shorter" version of it that is available considerably cheaper than the full version and considerably shorter.

The UBS 4th edition should have a lexicon in the back to get you started.

4. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It does.... I hadn't actually made it home to lay hands on it when I posted the OP.

:godisgood:

5. RustySword

RustySword Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have Bauer, Arndt and Gingrich, which is very exhaustive and probably expensive.

There was a book by Sake Kubo (I might not be spelling his name right) called A Reader's Lexicon of the New Testament (or something like that), which was a text I had for my 2nd semester of Greek. I have found it to be quite useful for reading. It has general lexicons for the whole text and for each book, but the more unusual words are listed by verse. Once you learn the more common words, you just follow along as you read and look up the words in each verse that are not so common.

I hope what I have said makes sense...

6. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you.

I know UBS publishes a Readers Greek NT based on the UBS 4th.
    Zondervon has 2, one for the Greek under the NIV and one for the Tniv. I was afraid I would 'crutch' on them, much like I have a interlinear. What you are talking about would be far better. A seperate book would force me to try to figure it out before I 'cheated'.

7. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My understanding is that Thayer's was the traditionally used greek lexicon and is cheap because it is public domain. Amazon has it for $16.47. Bauer and Danker appears to have superceded it. Amazon has it for $121.

8. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

While not technically a lexicon, I make much use of KittleĀ“s magnum opus: Theological Dictionary of the New Testament

This ten volume work is worth the price, but an electronic edition such as on Logos software is cheeper and faster to use.

9. Olivencia

Olivencia New Member

1. Frederick Danker - A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature
    2. Gerhard Kittel - Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (TDNT)
    3. William D.Mounce - Mounce's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words
    4. A.T. Robertson - Word Pictures in the New Testament
    5. Joseph Henry Thayer - Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament
    6. W.E. Vine - Vine's Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words
    7. EDNT - Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament
    8. Brown - New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology (NIDNTT)
    9. Louw and Nida - A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament; Based on Semantic Domains