1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which other denominations do you admire?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ben W, Jun 5, 2005.

1. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

i have spent nearly all of my adult life in a plymoth brethren (as most people know them) church. i still enjoy visiting every now and then.

2. Jensen

Jensen New Member

Can someone tell me what the mennonites believe in?

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Generally, Mennonites (which came out of the Anabaptist movement) believe in:

* A church of converted members;

* Adult baptism and the memorial understanding of the Lord's Supper;

* An emphasis on community, mutual aid and charity;

* Separation of church and state.

* Pacifism and peacemaking.

A general Mennonite confession is available at:

http://www.mennolink.org/doc/cof/index.html

As with Baptists, there can be divergences between specific groups, which range from the Old Order Mennonites (who are much like the Amish) to the Mennonite Church USA, the largest body in the U.S. with about 110,000 members. (There are 20 organized Mennonite bodies within the U.S.)

Closely related are other Anabaptistic groups such as the Church of the Brethren (which has an association with the American Baptist Churches in the USA). The Brethren are less creedal and maintain that footwashing and anointing are also ordinances. Because of evangelistic efforts, the Church of the Brethren now has more members in Nigeria than in the United States.

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

At one time, I admired the Nazarenes and the Bible Missionaries.
    Mainly due to their stress on holiness living.
    Today the Nazarenes have gone rather worldly. Though both denom.s are Arminian, I do admire their stress on holy living for the saints.
    My grandfather was a Nazarene church planter/minister for 56 years and grandmother was a Nazarene missionary nurse to So. Africa.

In HIS service;
    Jim

5. baptistk

baptistk New Member

I couldn't get what they believe in writing without lots of pages. And I am one horrible writer. :rolleyes: I grew up with strict mennonite parents who attended lots of different mennonite churches. What did stand out to me was that they are terrible hypocrites. But maybe it was just the mennonites my parents hung out with.

Lots of people don't believe this but what mennonites "believe" and say are totally different from what they do and how they live. I know, I lived with them. Again, I don't want to sound mean, maybe there are other mennonite bunches out there that are better.

6. LeahIA

LeahIA New Member

I belong to a Christian & Missionary Alliance. Many in our congregation have come over from the local GARBC due to internal issues.