1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Party's policys are likely to increase the number of abortions?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Matt Black, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Poverty and how to alleviate it are complex issues - way too complex for the shallow thinking expressed in the OP. But I do have one simple solution to the abortion issue: Adoption.

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

By the way, I never said this, so I call strawman. Like I said, it is complex, and I don't buy into the faulty assumption that the gov't is our only answer. Or even the primary answer.

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Correct again Matt. we failed and aren't doing nearly what we should be doing to correct it. God gave us ground and like in so many areas, we ceded it to the government.

The country is where it is because the Church continues to do things its way instead of God's way. Perhaps there are too many goats in the "Church house" running what the sheep should be running.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I'd like to comment on your post but I'm not understanding what you are asking. I think you are saying:

If poor married people cannot afford an extra child, the likelihood of more abortions increases, esp. if Republicans cut government welfare benefits. Is that your hypothesis? If it is, what is your question?

5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not so much a question than a point: that it's not just Democrats and their policies which have the potential to increase the number of abortions carried out in the US.

All of that's been tried before - and failed. And, again, it amounts to punishing the child for the sins of the parents - fatally, in the case of abortion. So the premise isn't as faulty as you'd like it to be...

Plus, what do you mean by 'community'? The county? The state?

#45 Matt Black, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
  6. Ed B

Ed B Member

I mention widows, orphans specifically because we have a Biblical directive to tend to them. That is not a straw man. It is an attempt to recognize our repsonsibilities and the Churches ineffectiveness in dealing with them so the Government doesn't have to.

I agree with you that poverty and dealing with poverty is a very complex issue. Government isn't the only alternative and I never said it was.

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Adoption by whom? When the members of the Church are having abortions too, it kinda cuts out a large chunk of folks who will adopt.

Again, abortion is thriving because folks "in the Church" are helping it to thrive.

As goes the Church, so goes the country and the world.

8. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

There are plenty of people out there willing to adopt. Matt, by community - i mean local - the people whom you live by.

Sorry, I don't buy the OP's premise that the gov't is the only (or even best) solution to poverty.

9. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I'm not saying it is, either. But equally I'm saying that it is part of the solution.

10. Matt Black

Site Supporter

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The government did not step in to take care of people in need because the church failed. I am not sure where that ignorant argument ever came from but it is far from the truth. The government got involved because of the Marxist movement around the world and the indoctrination of our colleges. It is an anti-God movement that lefty Christians have bought into hook, line, and sinker. and it has nothing to do with what the church has or has not done.

12. Matt Black

Site Supporter

So the churches were doing a great job, were they?

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no cause and effect going on here. And there is not enough tax money in the world to solve that problem. We need real solutions not government control.

#53 Revmitchell, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
  14. Matt Black

Site Supporter

It's not an 'either/or' zero-sum game, surely?