1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Preaching Book has influenced you the most?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by TomVols, Jun 9, 2001.

  1. TomVols

    TomVols New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2000
    Messages:
    11,170
    Ratings:
    +0
    Outside of the Bible, what book has influenced you the most in your preaching ministry? I'd have to list two: "Preaching and Preachers" by Martyn Lloyd Jones and the writings of Jerry Vines recently combined into one volume entitled "Power in the Pulpit." (This was previously a two volume set on the preparation and delivery of expository sermons)
     
  2. Dr. Bob

    Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2000
    Messages:
    29,467
    Ratings:
    +75
    Faith:
    Baptist
    My old seminary classic "On the Preparation and Delivery of Sermons" by Broadus taught me the concept of expository preaching (using the Word instead of sucking it out of my thumb) and propositional preaching (with imperatives to demand a response to the Word.

    When teaching Homiletics courses at Pillsbury (ifb college), I used MacArthur's "Expository Preaching", since it is a compilation of his seminary staff on every aspect of the pulpit ministry.
     
  3. Joseph_Botwinick

    Joseph_Botwinick <img src=/532.jpg>Banned

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2000
    Messages:
    17,527
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steps to the Sermon by Dr. Al Fasol, professor of preaching at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.

    Joseph
     
  4. TomVols

    TomVols New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2000
    Messages:
    11,170
    Ratings:
    +0
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JBotwinick:
    Steps to the Sermon by Dr. Al Fasol, professor of preaching at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.

    Joseph
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    This one is not one of my particular favorites. What is it about this book that you like? This is not a slam, just looking for food for thought here.
     
  5. TomVols

    TomVols New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2000
    Messages:
    11,170
    Ratings:
    +0
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Bob Griffin:
    My old seminary classic "On the Preparation and Delivery of Sermons" by Broadus taught me the concept of expository preaching (using the Word instead of sucking it out of my thumb) and propositional preaching (with imperatives to demand a response to the Word.

    When teaching Homiletics courses at Pillsbury (ifb college), I used MacArthur's "Expository Preaching", since it is a compilation of his seminary staff on every aspect of the pulpit ministry.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Dr. Broadus's book is probably THE standard preaching text and is a must read for any pastor. MacArthur's work is good also. Both good choices!
     
  6. preacher

    preacher New Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2001
    Messages:
    1,784
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well,.. Gee, you guys could be intimidating
    to some country preachers! ;) Other than my bible, I don't really know. I have two small books that I would say have influenced me somewhat, 12 sermons on the love of Christ;
    C.H. Spurgeon, and Being Gods Friend; again by Spurgeon.
     
  7. TomVols

    TomVols New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2000
    Messages:
    11,170
    Ratings:
    +0
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by preacher:
    Well,.. Gee, you guys could be intimidating
    to some country preachers! ;) Other than my bible, I don't really know. I have two small books that I would say have influenced me somewhat, 12 sermons on the love of Christ;
    C.H. Spurgeon, and Being Gods Friend; again by Spurgeon.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I'm a country preacher, too! I don't know what could be intimidating. Let me encourage you to check out some of these books in order to more faithfully preach the Word (2 Tim 4:2)
     
  8. Joseph_Botwinick

    Joseph_Botwinick <img src=/532.jpg>Banned

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2000
    Messages:
    17,527
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tom,

    Probably the reason I like this book is because it is the textbook out of which I learned to prepare a sermon by the author of the book. I like Dr. Fasol's background in radio broadcasting that he brought with him when he was called to the preaching ministry. Because of his expertise in communications, I feel like he has helped me to be a more effective communicator of God's word.

    Joseph
     
  9. DocCas

    DocCas New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2000
    Messages:
    4,103
    Ratings:
    +0
    "The Preacher and his Preaching" by A.P. Gibbs. A must read for every preacher.
     
  10. TomVols

    TomVols New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2000
    Messages:
    11,170
    Ratings:
    +0
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas Cassidy:
    "The Preacher and his Preaching" by A.P. Gibbs. A must read for every preacher.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Not familiar with that one. Could you tell us more about this work/author?
     
  11. swaimj

    swaimj <img src=/swaimj.gif>

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2000
    Messages:
    3,426
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had Haddon Robinson's book Biblical Preaching both in college and in semenary as a text book. Some of the work done by Dallas Seminary guys like John Reed and Don Sunukian (sp?) is excellent also. They take Robinson's work one step farther. For each sermon, you take a text and develop three outlines for it. First is exegetical. It tells you what the author was saying originally. Second is theological. It tells you the universal, timeless truth in the passage. Third is homiletical. It is true to the previous two but applies the truth to today. I have found that this process helps me guard against preaching my ideas and helps me stick to the text. Honestly though, I have learned homiletics (what I know about it) through teachers and their influence primarily rather than through books. Homiletics requires a mentor who will honestly evaluate you and give you some pointers.
     
  12. TomVols

    TomVols New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2000
    Messages:
    11,170
    Ratings:
    +0
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by swaimj:
    I had Haddon Robinson's book Biblical Preaching both in college and in semenary as a text book. Some of the work done by Dallas Seminary guys like John Reed and Don Sunukian (sp?) is excellent also. They take Robinson's work one step farther. For each sermon, you take a text and develop three outlines for it. First is exegetical. It tells you what the author was saying originally. Second is theological. It tells you the universal, timeless truth in the passage. Third is homiletical. It is true to the previous two but applies the truth to today. I have found that this process helps me guard against preaching my ideas and helps me stick to the text. Honestly though, I have learned homiletics (what I know about it) through teachers and their influence primarily rather than through books. Homiletics requires a mentor who will honestly evaluate you and give you some pointers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Ramesh Richard's book "Scripture Sculpture" from Baker Books relies heavily on Robinson's work and is an excellent book in its own right also.
     
  13. swaimj

    swaimj <img src=/swaimj.gif>

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2000
    Messages:
    3,426
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip Tom. Also, I believe Robinson has recently updated his book and I think he added at least one new chapter. Another good resource is a book of sermons compiled by Robinson also called "Biblical Sermons" in which some of Robinson's more notable students have sermons. Robinson evaluates the sermons and interviews the authors.
     
  14. DocCas

    DocCas New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2000
    Messages:
    4,103
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. Biblethumper1611

    Biblethumper1611 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2001
    Messages:
    120
    Ratings:
    +0
    Preaching and Teaching with Imagination by Warren Weirsbe.
     
  16. TomVols

    TomVols New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2000
    Messages:
    11,170
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. FundamentalDan

    FundamentalDan New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2001
    Messages:
    236
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jack Hyles' "Teaching on Preaching". I also like Gibbs' "Preacher and His Preaching" and W.B. Riley's book with the same name.
     
  18. Ransom

    Ransom Active Member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2000
    Messages:
    4,132
    Ratings:
    +0
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TomVols:
    Outside of the Bible, what book has influenced you the most in your preaching ministry?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    On the art of preaching itself, The Art of Prophesying by William Perkins.

    On composition and arrangement, Biblical Preaching by Haddon W. Robinson. But for an education in argument, arrangement, and style, you really can't beat a good textbook in classical rhetoric, such as Classical Rhetoric by Corbett and Connors.
     
  19. TomVols

    TomVols New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2000
    Messages:
    11,170
    Ratings:
    +0
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ransom:


    On the art of preaching itself, The Art of Prophesying by William Perkins.

    On composition and arrangement, Biblical Preaching by Haddon W. Robinson. But for an education in argument, arrangement, and style, you really can't beat a good textbook in classical rhetoric, such as Classical Rhetoric by Corbett and Connors.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Yes! Perkins's book is tremendously helpful. I believe it is a must read for all serious expositors. The puritan approach to preaching is simple exposition yet some of the greatest preachers who ever lived were of the Puritan era/persuasion.
     
  20. Contender

    Contender New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2001
    Messages:
    56
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with FundamentalDan regarding Jack Hyles' "Teaching on Preaching". Although I am the worst preacher on this planet, it is a great book written by my Preacher of 27 years.
     
Loading...