1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Preaching Book has influenced you the most?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by TomVols, Jun 9, 2001.

1. tlange

tlange New Member

Two books:

Preaching with Freshness by Bruce Mawhinney (I commented on this in other area)

and the Broadus book On the Preparation and Delivery of Sermons.

Dr. Bob, I was taught Homiletics at Trinity Baptist College, by Dr. Charles Davis' son in law, Tom Messer (who is now my pastor) and they both preach propositionally and that is the way most Trinity grads learn to preach! I have been told that Broadus' book was also the basis for Homiletics at Maranatha??

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tlange:
    Two books:

Preaching with Freshness by Bruce Mawhinney (I commented on this in other area)

and the Broadus book On the Preparation and Delivery of Sermons.

Dr. Bob, I was taught Homiletics at Trinity Baptist College, by Dr. Charles Davis' son in law, Tom Messer (who is now my pastor) and they both preach propositionally and that is the way most Trinity grads learn to preach! I have been told that Broadus' book was also the basis for Homiletics at Maranatha??
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two excellent choices. Broadus's work is the classic text in this field, and Mawhinney's book is a must read for the pastor who takes his preaching ministry seriously.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was required text at Pillsbury and Maranatha for homiletics. In recent years we've added MacArthur and Robinson.

And of course, I updated and compiled all of Dr. Richard Weeks notes and published it as a text for homiletics. Think the Squire is working to translate it into Russian too.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

A little known piece of trivia about Dr. Broadus's book is that he had to personally pay to have it published because there was thought to be not enough interest for the book to sell. Birthed out of lectures he prepared for a class consisting of ONE student, it has come to be widely accepted as the finest in the field.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I have to cast a vote for John R.W. Stott's Between Two Worlds. It is an outstanding book and very interesting to read. It's almost like Dr. Stott has pulled up a chair alongside you and is talking with you. It's a very worthwhile read and will help your preaching.