1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Seminary Is Better For Reformed Baptists?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Feb 26, 2006.

?
  1. Southern Baptist Theological Seminary

48.1%
  2. Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary

7.4%
  3. Dallas Theological Seminary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary

3.7%
  5. New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary

11.1%
  6. Reformed Theological Seminary

3.7%
  7. Mid-America Baptist Theological Seminary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Luther Rice University

18.5%
  10. Knox Theological Seminary

3.7%
  11. Trinity Evangelical Divinity School

3.7%
  12. Liberty Theological Seminary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which seminary is better for reformed baptists?

If a school is not mentioned please feel free to reply with the name of the school....

2. standingfirminChrist

Ambassador Baptist College (will set the reformed crowd straight)

3. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Let em go to Knox.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They have a free will, don't they? ;) They are perfectly free to decide to start their own seminary. :D

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And where are Central, Maranatha, Calvary-Lansdale, BJ, International-Tempe, et al.? An incomplete survey, I'd say.

6. Broadus

Broadus Member

Surely you're teasing. ;)

Bill

7. RandR

RandR New Member

The responses to this poll aren't surprising, but they beg the question, "Are Southern Baptists content to allow Southern become a sort of Reformed "ghetto" if it means keeping Reformed soteriology OUT of the other seminaries?".

I think that would be a mistake. I think all of the seminaries benefit from the discussion that results when different views are represented on campus.

8. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If God has determined from all eternity where they will go, and done it based on nothing in them, then it's already decided, and there's no need to discuss it. [​IMG]

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

This is not a place to take cheap shots against what you falsely believe is Reformed theology, folks.

Westminster Theological Seminary out in California has a track for Reformed Baptists. Short of that, the greatest seminary on earth, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, is what I'd recommend [​IMG]

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

If a college teaches against Reformed theology, such as man's inability to save himself and eternal security, that school should be closed :D

11. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is good for me and my temperment that this is a "fellowship" forum rather than a "debate" forum.

There is a lot I would like to say but am constrained!

rd

[ March 01, 2006, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Rhetorician ]

12. Convicted by the Spirit

I noticed luther rice and liberty on the survey. Are they really considered reformed?

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to comment on what SFiC said earlier . He suggested that the " Reformed crowd " should check out Ambassador Baptist College in order to be set straight .

I read through Ron Comfort's article on The Fruits of Calvinism . It was such nonsense -- he must have taken cues from JRR . Misrepresentations abound . Did anyone else read this mess ? Anyway , no Calvinist is permitted in the hallowed halls of Ambassador . " In the summer of 1997 , I said we were not going to let the Calvinist crowd come back . We included in our statement of faith two statements concerning Calvinism . One pertained to irrestible grace and the other to limited atonement . "

I am not sure , but it may be possible for students who are non-Calvinists to attend most Reformed centers of education . I do not think the Reformed institutions fear any revolt from the Arminians in their midst .

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please, Rippon, don't bring that in here. As Rhetorician pointed out, this is a fellowship forum.

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ambassador was, of course, a joke. It is not a seminary.

I'd opt for Westminister's Reformed program (in theory; no first hand knowledge). You will get a solid reformed calvinistic biblical training at Maranatha's fast-growing seminary or Central or Detroit or Calvary Lansdale - all historic ifb schools.

And of course at great places like Southern for those of the SBC mantle.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Bob, I'd call Maranatha moderately Calvinistic nowadays. At any rate, no one made a point of Calvinism in my classes. Detroit is definitely strongly Calvinist. I don't know much about Central, but my son is at Calvary Lansdale right now and really enjoying it. :cool:

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me clarify a little about IBF seminaries. Maranatha may be still mildly Calvinistic, but I did not get any overtly Calvinistic teaching there. My son came out of Maranatha a Biblicist but certainly not a Calvinist, and went to Calvary rather than Detroit or Central because it was not Calvinistic. I did hear last year that one professor at Central is a 5-pointer.

Maranatha, Central, and Calvary seminaries are all strongly dispensational, and I don't mean progressive dispensationalism. Any Reformed Baptist looking for covenant theology there would be quite disappointed.

Detroit (though Calvinistic) is also very dispensational. I took a module from a Detroit teacher some years ago using McClain's The Greatness of the Kingdom for a textbook.

Temple Seminary in Chattanooga, where I've had a couple of semesters, is also an IFB, non-Calvinistic, dispensational school.