1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Feb 15, 2007.

?
  1. Liberty Theological Seminary (AA, BA, MAR/MDIV)

19 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. Luther Rice University (BA, MA/MDIV)

11 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. Southern Evangelical Seminary (MA/MDIV/MAR)

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Moody Bible Institute (BA)

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. Temple Baptist Seminary (MA/MDIV)

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Piedmont Baptist College (MABS)

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. Other...please name.

31 vote(s)
    43.1%
  1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This may be a good way to kick start something here...

Let's say you wanted to attend seminary but, for whatever reason, you could not move to a seminary town (ie..where the seminary is located). Therefore you were considering distance/online education to earn your seminary degree.

You knew, from friends, that you needed an accredited degree.

You knew that your budget, and time, was limited (ie..you could not spend five years on this).

You also knew that you needed a degree that would be widely accepted by different churches/schools (etc).

Given all of that information which of these schools would you choose and why? Which program would you choose?

#1 Martin, Feb 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2007
  2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maranatha (Watertown, WI) and International Baptist (Tempe, AZ)

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Which Seminary?" Response

"Shalom" Y'all!

What about all of those of us who are Southern Baptists who might want to get a degree? The "Big Six" all have campus programs scattered throughout the South and Southeast et al.

There is also the "seminary extension" programs offered by the various churches and associations. Although, I know there is not a "real degree" programs.

Just thought I would add to the mix to liven up the dull times!:laugh:

sdg!

rd

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You still have to get at least 1/3 of the MDiv at the main campuses of those seminaries, though.

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Hi guys,

I tend to be objective on the issue of schooling. The person who is entering ministry, whether pulpit or classroom or DL, must decide on what are the necessary requirements.

If the pulpit ministry requires you to have an accredited degree then go that way, but if not it is still up to you. If you want to enter the classroom then get an accredited degree.

There seems to be a naivete being peddler that entering a particular seminary gaurantees ministry success. Is it the seminary that determines success or God? I have heard the arguments for excellence in education, and I quite agree, but let God be the decided on how a person is used in ministry, not some seminary and where that is.

Seminaries are all competing. We all know this. Plus, you theological bent has a lot to do with where you ultimately end up. So you may be dispensational or Calvinistic or Arminian or whatever.

For example I admire the ministry of Reformed Theologians like Piper, MacArthur, Sproul, Mohler, Stanley, Swindoll, Jeremiah.

Isn't it interesting that Talbot produced both Rick Warren and John MacArthur? Ultimately, God decides how people are used in ministry, not which seminary you went, and if He has ordained a particular seminary, I wonder which one might that be?

7. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

Warren is a graduate of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Ft. Worth. He may have gone to Talbot after relocating to California, but he's an SWBTS alum.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Yes, but he has his terminal degree from Talbot; I believe that ought to count for something. That is my point.

9. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His doctorate is from Fuller, not Talbot.

http://www.pastors.com/pcom/specials/rickbio.asp

"Rick was born in San Jose, Calif. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from California Baptist College, a Master of Divinity from Southwestern Theological Seminary, and a Doctor of Ministry degree from Fuller Theological Seminary. Other honors include the Biblical Preaching Award, and two honorary doctorates."

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Wow, your objectivity was short lived . . .

I respect Talbot, but in the vein that most pastors get a terminal MDiv . . . I know that Warren got his MDiv at SWBTS.

11. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't think of asking just how you meant the word terminal when you said "terminal MDiv" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

12. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I would probably return where I graduated college, Southern Seminary.

13. The Saint

The Saint New Member

Louisiana Baptist University is a wonderful seminary. :thumbs:

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I am terribly sorry about Talbot. I guess I didn't do my research well enough on that one. I don't know how I missed that one.

At any rate, God is the one who decides how a person is used in ministry, not the seminary you went to. God may point you to a seminary, but I wonder which it would turn out to be?

15. Chad Whiteley

Chad Whiteley Member

The situation described in the poll is my very situation, which is why I have chosen to attend BMATS (Baptist Missionary Association Theological Seminary). Of course, accreditation requirements restrict seminaries from allowing students to take all of the program via distance, but BMATS has a Masters in Motion program whereby a system of intensive modular classes allows a student to meet the residency requirement. These classes, in addition to the fact that BMATS has an extensive list of online classes offered through ITS online, allows me to stay here in California while attending seminary in Texas. I do not even have to miss a Sunday at my church.

Plus, BMATS is extremely affordable. The cost is $470 per single course and $430 for each additional course purchased at the same time. This is about 1/3 of the cost of most schools! Liberty charges $225 per hour, which is $675 per course, and 33% higher than BMATS.

BMATS is both regionally accredited and a member school of ATS. I honestly feel like it is the best kept secret in the Baptist work. I have researched this thoroughly, and honestly can not figure out why more students like me do not go there. Why would I pay so much for a school Liberty, when I can get a great seminary, with smaller class sizes for far less?

16. mndloo

mndloo New Member

My DH went to Southeastern Baptist Theo. Sem.

17. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

My vote was for Rice only because i'm considering them for my D.Min.

18. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary:thumbs:

19. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

20. The Saint

The Saint New Member

Another very wonderful seminary down here in good old N.C. :godisgood: