1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Feb 15, 2007.

?
  1. Liberty Theological Seminary (AA, BA, MAR/MDIV)

19 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. Luther Rice University (BA, MA/MDIV)

11 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. Southern Evangelical Seminary (MA/MDIV/MAR)

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Moody Bible Institute (BA)

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. Temple Baptist Seminary (MA/MDIV)

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Piedmont Baptist College (MABS)

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. Other...please name.

31 vote(s)
    43.1%
  1. 3John2

3John2 New Member

Is there a reason why Southern Baptist Theological Seminary wasn't on that list? Any biases against Mohler?

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==The poll listed seminaries that offer distance/online graduate degree programs (See OP). Southern is not listed because they do not offer such a program.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to be starting my MDiv through Liberty in two weeks.

4. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I attended Columbia International University Seminary in Columbia, SC. I'd highly recommend it. Despite most of the faculty and students being Calvinistic, as a whole this school provided me the most open atmosphere to study, to learn, and not to be attacked because I didn't "go along" with the majority.

Their emphasis is on missions, their motto is "to know Christ, and to make Him known," and I believe they live up to it. Certainly, anyone going into Missions should attend THIS school. And, their training of Pastors and others not in international missions is also excellent.

Just my $ .02 worth.

JDale

5. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I were in a position to attend classes on-site, I'd probably go to Midwestern Seminary in Kansas City, MO.

6. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Baptist Bible College in Springfield, MO. Great school that I would highly reccomend to anyone that wants to learn the scriputures and develope and heart for ministry.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

All online?

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm confused.

The Liberty MDiv can be done entirely by distance learning, but MBTS's MDiv can't.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I quoted the wrong post. I was asking if you were doing the Liberty M.Div entirely online. My apologies.

10. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. That is my plan. I may or may not do some intensives, but I do have that option.

I just finished an on-campus BA in Christian Ministries, and with my first child on way I really am not in a position right now to move to seminary.

If distance learning were not an option, I wouldn't be taking classes now.

11. Batt4Christ

Batt4Christ Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    seminary of choice

I chose Baptist Missionary Association Theological Seminary - they have an extension campus just 32 miles from my house, their tuition is extremely competitive (I think most here would be shocked), and they are fully accredited:

http://www.bmats.edu/accreditation.htm

12. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Very reasonably priced. However, Liberty, if you take a full course load, is of comparable tuition rate.

13. fbcodr

fbcodr New Member

I picked Luther Rice from the ones listed. I think they are a great school and the majority can be done online.:thumbs::jesus:

14. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

DTS is tops right now.

If I had to go to a seminary right that would be the one. Followed by TED and either SBTS or Gordon-Conwell.

15. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I would not attend any of those listed even if I lived across the street from them. I wanted, when I went to seminary, and would still want, an education rather than an indoctrination. I wanted and still want exposure to scholarship from a wide variety of perspectives, as well as training in "how to do".

So, given that and given the premise that if I were to go to seminary now and could not move anywhere, my first choice would be John Leland Seminary in Arlington, VA. I served nine years as trustee and next week will donate several hundred volumes of my library to them. They are Baptist without being tied to any of the established Baptist movements other than to receive modest funding from Virginia Baptists and DC Baptists.

16. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Scripture says we are supposed to "indoctrinate," (which is a phrase made up by liberal theologians, who do not wish to be taught black and white truths).

We are supposed to teach doctrine. Liberty certainly does. But I have not been forced to believe anything. So what you say is unfounded.

17. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I'd worry more about the lack of academic rigor than indoctrination.

In my time at Liberty, though not for seminary, I saw less striding for uniformity in belief and less pursuit of the the hard questions and answers.

18. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Are you speaking of your opinion? I hope so, cause I can think of several seminaries which I would place above DTS (including SBTS, which you have mentioned here).

19. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I am speaking from personal opinion, academic reputation, institutional health, consistency in placing well trained ministers/missionaries, and fiscal factors (like their endowment, strategic plan, etc.)

SBTS is a very good institution, I am not doubting that, but I believe DTS is leading the pack. The OP asked for an opinion, I am giving mine based on my experience and outlook.

I don't know of a better suited faculty and degree program than DTS offers for their seminary level training. :)

20. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I do not believe DTS is "leading the pack" by any stretch of the imagination. When compared to other institutions, I believe DTS is beaten in nearly every category you have mentioned above.

Academic Reputation: DTS is seen by many as either #1 Too heavily dispenational, #2 Not Baptist enough, in the crowds I run in, #3 Too permissive #4 Too entrenched in free grace theology.

I can think of many Seminaries which I believe could be said are more well known for academic rigor than DTS: Westminster (yes, Westminster has a "Baptist" division), RTS, or, in my opinion, SBTS. I know in Reformed Baptist crowds, SBTS is "THE" School to go to, at least among academia.

Consistency in placing pastors: I can think of several seminaries, such as The Masters Seminary, who have better placement rates.

Institutional health: Don't know much about this, so I won't speak to it.

Fiscal Factors: DTS' financial situation, cannot hope to match that of SBTS, who is buttressed by the rather massive Cooperative program.