1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Which Seminary?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by rmodis, May 1, 2012.

1. Chad Whiteley

Chad Whiteley Member

So, if you are a strict dispensationalist - Masters or DTS would be good.

If you are a Calvinist - any of the three would be good.

If you really dislike Calvinism (but are not really Arminian) - you should probably consider Liberty or SWBTS.

If you are not a classic dispensationalist, or if you are but don't necessarily want that view constantly reinforced, then SBTS is a great choice.

If you are solely seeking a school with an amazing set of scholars, SBTS is an amazing school to attend.

After the dust settles form the argument, I think we can agree that SBTS will not fail you.

2. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The interesting thing is that DTS is actually moving more and more to progressive dispensationalism over classical dispensationalism. Actually with Blasing now over at SWBTS, there's been a bit of an influx over there as well as I understand.

3. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

That is exactly what I am saying. I would not attend that school or an amil school or a preterist school. The doctrine to me is not backed up in scripture.

4. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Well, I would disagree. The Mid Tribulation and/or pre wrath rapture has an enormous amount of scripture to back it up. But to each his own.

I guess I can see why the body of Christ is so divided and powerless in the world. Sad.

5. Ryan.Samples

Ryan.Samples New Member

I have to admit I am kind of right there with you... One of the reasons so many Christians can't get along is because of some "I am definitely right and everyone else is 100% wrong" attitude. Sigh.

6. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Not so but why if you believe in the pre-trib would you go against your convitions to go to a school that you aren't going to accept what they believe. Why would I attend a school that would teach faith + works or faith + anything when that is unscriptural in my view. It sad that one would compromise their belief to attend any school.

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

First there is an ENORMOUS difference between "faith +works" and genuine grace alone salvation; there is NOT an enormous difference between two people who are both dispensationalists, but one who believes the church is present during the first half of the tribulation. That is truly not a primary issue.

Second, I did not say they didn't "teach what you believe." I said ALLOW FOR other beliefs. Huge difference.

We all have to know where to draw the line. The theological minutia of the timing of the rapture, should NOT be one of them.

8. Ryan.Samples

Ryan.Samples New Member

If the school offers an amazing curriculum but you disagree on one or two points, they're automatically worthless? There is great benefit to pursuing education at an institution that doesn't hold to every single one of your perspectives, as learning and studying in such an environment stretches you. It also helps you learn a whole lot of humility, as you learn what others actually believe versus your preconceived (read "wrong") understanding of their doctrines. In the process you might also see some of your positions require... adjustment.

Hopefully our original poster sees the potential value in the same.

Ditto.

9. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

That is the problem with our churches today too many willing to give up on their convictions and compromise for seems like a school with an amazing curiculum.

John said we are to try every not just some spirits and not just some, if we are lead by the Spirit in a conviction Doctrinally why should we compromise what the Spirit Convicts us about? Just for the sake of a great curiculum, what makes it great? If it doesn't match ones convictions should you attend?

Sorry Eschatology is an important doctrine of the church get it wrong and your whole belief system if off.

Just as Pnuematology and Soteriology are important enough to ensure you align with the school otherwise you compromise your convictions and will compromise on other things. Such as churches especially SBC churches are allowing women to teach men, and are overlooking the basics requirements for deacons and pastors. All because of a little compromise with their education.

1 John 4:1
    Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Test EVERY Spiriti, EVERY teaching and see where the Spirit leads.

2 Timothy 4:3
    For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Titus 1:9
    Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

Titus 2:1
    But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:

I feel Pre-trib, pre-mil dispensationalism is the truth so why would I
    seek after itching ears for what some feel is a great curiculum it isn't great if I must compromise what I am convicted in sound doctrine for things that by my convitions are unsound doctrine? Tell why you feel a compromise of conviction is best?

#49 revmwc, May 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
  10. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I PROMISE you, there is something that you disagree with your pastor on in the Bible. 100 percent guaranteed. Also, there is not a single person in your church that you are in 100 percent agreement on. So be consistent with your position, and go live on a desert island by yourself.

11. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which Pre-Trib Pre-Mil Dispensationalist view? Are you a mid-acts darby? Is it wrong for the school to teach the Scofield/Chafer view? Or are you revised Ryrie style? Or Progressive Bock/Blasing? or Acts 28 Bulinger? Are we talking 3 dispensations, 4, 7 or 8? Even within Pre-Trib Pre-Mil dispensationalism there are many different views, so is it wrong to teach multiple views?

I'll have to agree with Ryan and Havensdad on this one. It's important to stick to your guns, but you need to know where to draw the line.

12. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Especially over non-essentials that really only affect what we confess we believe. It is not the gospel and nothing on it hinges sanctification. It is just a matter of which doctrinal statement sounds best.

13. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

You added this later, so I will respond now. If you think these verses refer to eschatological minutia, then you need to study up on how to understand biblical texts in context. The text on "Itching ears" is referring to individuals having certain lusts that they want excused, and so they place themselves under teachers that excuse their lusts. There are no sins being excused in the issue at hand. There is no "itch" that would need scratching. You have difficult texts, and you have Jesus telling us we would NOT know the exact timing of His arrival, and people are simply trying to understand it.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This must all be predicated upon the person living in the South....It has nothing to do with the Northeast where there isnt even a SBC presence. up here Id suggest you try Westminster or Princeton.

16. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Baptist Faith and Message. The doctrinal statement of the SBC.

17. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Westminster, yes. Princeton, no.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never been in an SBC.....they do NOT exist where I live. Thanks for the education. Tell Al Mohler that next time he sends missionaries to Uz beki beki " Uzbekistan" :laugh:

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not Princeton.....there grads have an open invitation to Wall Street, where they F up the country & become liberal elite....think about that....LOL

20. Chad Whiteley

Chad Whiteley Member

Princeton Theological Seminary is not the same place as Princeton University. I do not think Princeton Seminary grads had anything to do with Wall Street.

I have heard good things from Westminster. What about RTS?