1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Version Do You Preach From?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by preacher4truth, Dec 14, 2010.

?
  1. NLT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ESV

16.7%
  3. KJV

31.3%
  4. NKJV

16.7%
  5. TLB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. NASB

10.4%
  7. NIV

14.6%
  8. TNIV

4.2%
  9. HCSB

4.2%
  10. OTHER

2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

So, let me get this straight. If somebody uses the KJV for study, then they are not a reputable scholar? What a Christian attitude you have jaigner!

2. RAdam

RAdam New Member

What a rambling mess!

Now, I don't rail against learning. I rail against the attitude that the scholars are the ones to whom we must look for guidance on all things. If the scholars say to use this bible, we must use it.

There is a difference between learning and being a scholar. The people I know who know the most about the bible are not scholars. They are people who have dedicated their lives to studying God's word and preaching it to His people. Jesus wasn't a scholar. He had never been to a single religous school. Rather, He was the author of scripture. He sent the Holy Ghost to bring His apostles into all truth. They then taught other men, who taught other men. Only one preacher in the NT was a scholar, and he refused to rely on his scholarship to preach God's word.

I don't give two hoots for what some scholar says. I care about what the bible says.

3. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

AMEN! :applause:

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What I found rather humorous is the fact that the KJV is commonly said to be too hard to understand because of it's archaic language, but yet it's the dumb ol' country preachers that use it mostly. The "scholars" have rejected it. Maybe they can't understand it? :laugh:

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

If it wasn't for "scholars" you wouldn't have a KJV (nor medicines, nor electricity or even a car, for that matter). Fact is time moves on, language changes, knowledge increases, and new Bible translations are needed. That was the case in 1604, and that is the case now.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'll bet that more pastors will be switching to something other than the NIV with the advent of the new NIV2011. Many pastors were not happy with the TNIV and avoided it but were content to continue the use of the NIV but now with the NIV1984 no longer going to be available (from what I understand), pastors will have to choose. Do they go with the NIV2011 or do they switch all together. I'll bet many will be bailing on the NIV.

7. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

You've got it backwards, as usual, in an attempt to make me look like a jerk.

Good scholars don't use the KJV for anything other than reference anymore because, for the most part, it's not as accurate.

And the best evangelical scholars are faithful men and women who have given their lives in the study of language, history and theology in order to be a faithful steward of God's Word.

8. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Very well said. Good job.

It's more likely that the KJV is all they've ever used and, often, don't realize the kinds of errors they make from blatant and obvious misinterpretation of the antiquated text. I've also known and sat under a number of people that believed the KJV was the only good English translation because, well, some other preacher told them.

I agree with you on many counts. The best expositors of the Bible I've ever known have been well-informed and well-trained pastors who have a heart for the proclamation of God's Word.

But a lot of these people are first-rate scholars in their own right, or have been trained by great linguists, historians and theologians.

Without the benefit of good Christian scholarship, we wouldn't be able to interpret nearly as well.

9. RAdam

RAdam New Member

No, without the Holy Spirit we wouldn't be able to interpret nearly as well.

Here's the question I've asked people concerning the idea that the KJV uses an antiquated text that isn't as accurate. How do you know? How do you know what was originally written? People ramble on about the originals yet those scholars you hold in such high regard have exactly the same idea what the originals actually contained as I do. That's because neither they nor I have ever seen a single original copy of scripture. You are trusting people who are merely giving your their opinion. You are perfectly free to do that, but their opinion on what something said that they never saw is equivalent to mine.

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I'm withholding judgment until I read it (NIV2011) through for myself. Until then the ESV will continue to be my choice.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course we teach all families to use the Greek. Why on earth not? We have wonderful Greek texts (interlinear with English words corresponding to each Greek; KJV text in margin and critical apparatus at the bottom of each page so that they can see options of better Greek manuscripts)

Then I do the best to translate into exact English that folks in 2010 understand but ALWAYS encourage them to study/understand it for themselves. I do not set myself up as the "be all/end all" - just a "tool" to help them understand what GOD said.

Use of the Greek was STANDARD in all education 100 years ago. Now some fools say "preachers" don't need it. Amazing de-volution of intelligence.

EXAMPLE of this Greek Text

[​IMG]

http://www.christianbook.com/interl...&netp_id=154784&event=ESRCN&view=details#curr

12. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Hey Ann, what will your pastor do in this situation?

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I haven't spoken to him about it yet but most likely we will go to the NASB or ESV. Yeah, it's not going to be so easy for newbies but they will learn.

Or else we buy up a TON of NIV1984s and use them for the next 20 years. LOL

14. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I'm not a preacher and I don't pretend to be an excellent biblical scholar. I'm a classical musician, music teacher, and have a masters in theology. But I have done a lot of listening and reading and I'm familiar with the most trusted evangelical scholars.

So no, I'm not blowing my own horn, and I'm not calling anyone stupid, but if they were more informed, they would likely choose another translation for their primary reading, studying and preaching text.

15. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Of course the Holy Spirit is the key illuminating and interpreting agent, but good scholarship has to be done so that we have the most information, unless the Spirit magically blesses us with that information without studying language, history, theology, etc.

Intentionally limiting our information is limiting the Holy Spirit, as well.

16. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I actually think there will be a wider acceptance of the new NIV than the TNIV. MUCH wider, actually.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think the acceptance will be wider but not universal. It's acceptance certainly won't be on part with the NIV and many who use the NIV will bail once the '84 can no longer be purchased. Many felt there were issues with the TNIV and chose not to use it and this new NIV is closer to the TNIV than the '84NIV and so those pastors who did not accept the TNIV most likely will not accept this new version either. Here's a few writings on the subject:

http://trevinwax.com/2010/11/16/the-niv-2011-forces-a-choice/
    http://thislamp.com/?p=1105
    http://www.geneveith.com/2010/11/16/the-two-different-nivs/

18. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

That's interesting. I am sure he will make the right move and God will bless everyone in it and move on. Here's an idea: have him by every member the new version in an Allan Goatskin!!! They'll all love it! (tell the people upset about your sailboat that you're trading it in for the Allans, two birds, one stone, or maybe it's one bird 2 stones?!!!!)

:tongue3:

19. RAdam

RAdam New Member

So you spend time trying to teach people who speak english naturally and who have a choice of hundreds of english translations to speak Greek so they can read a smattering of Greek NT manuscripts? And you call me a fool? De-volution of intelligence? I think you mind need to look in the mirror, pal.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We could do that for the new church plant but for the whole church, even our sailboat wouldn't pay for that many Allens!!

Holy cow!! I just looked up our boat in Google to see it's value and we've not lost any value in the last 8 years!! WOW!!! Very cool!! :D

#80 annsni, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.