1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Version Do You Preach From?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by preacher4truth, Dec 14, 2010.

?
  1. NLT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ESV

16.7%
  3. KJV

31.3%
  4. NKJV

16.7%
  5. TLB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. NASB

10.4%
  7. NIV

14.6%
  8. TNIV

4.2%
  9. HCSB

4.2%
  10. OTHER

2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I just don't get all the hoopla over the latest new fangled version. Did the translators receive some new revelation that's not in the older versions? By older versions, I mean the one that came out last year or the year before?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think any version is going to be perfect for everyone forever. I think that the NIV translators were looking to clear up some of the issues that they had in the NIV and came up with the TNIV but I think they went overboard with some of their correcting to make it just weird. Since the TNIV wasn't fully accepted and there were camps who were against it as a translation, I'd guess they decided to see if they could do what they originally set out to do and that is to make a good NIV using today's scholarship and being faithful to the original and to the modern language. From what I've been reading, I don't think they fully got it. But then again, trying to make a translation without it being so literal is going to be hard and there will always be some sort of issue with it.

3. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

No love for the NRSV?

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

You really should stop while you are behind.

5. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Why? I think he asks a legitimate question.

Surely, with all the English translations available, we don't need to translate the Scriptures ourselves.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, sometimes there are nuances that just don't translate into English and having a knowledge of some Greek or Hebrew is immensely helpful. I know it's not perfect but I love to even look at Blue Letter Bible and see a particular word in a particular verse, see what the Strong's definition is and then see how else that word is translated in the Bible. It really opens up a new understanding of what the meaning was, IMO.

7. RAdam

RAdam New Member

There is a large difference in word study, which anyone can do easily with Strong's, Wigram's, or Blue Letter and telling people they need to learn a totally new language in order to understand scripture. If the bible hadn't been translated into our native language, that would be necessary. But, and here's the kicker, if what we have in english isn't good enough and I, as well as the congregations I preach to, must learn greek in order to understand the bible, then why even have english translations. As I said before, if they aren't good enough they should be thrown in the trash.

8. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Really? Aren't there thousands of NT manuscripts?

By the way, which one is right?

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello? God gave His exact inspired WORDS (actual words/letters) in GREEK. If I want to know exactly what GOD said, I will study Greek.

And why would I be unique just because of my training in biblical languages. In 1900 the ENTRANCE requirement for college included proficiency in Latin and Greek. To ENTER. Greek/Latin are challenging because English is such a poor equivalent language in grammar and syntax. To say "you know English" and thus can know the nuances or even vocabulary choices in GOD'S Word (again, the Greek) is arrogant foolishness.

The translating/revising team of Anglicans in 1604-11 had variant words, now dropped from cheap imitation KJV's. I'd at least encourage one who isn't capable of learning Greek to get an AV1611 reprint and see the light that various words shine on familiar passages. Or get an ESV or NASB or Holman and be amazed at what verses really mean in today's language.

But I still would start with basic Greek. The link I gave for the interlinear also has a lexicon and a synonym section to enrich study further. I like the paper version - mine is marked all up as I teach from it to our men.

Anyone today who thinks they are "preaching God's Word" had better get enough character/discipline to actually READ and UNDERSTAND God's Word, not some English translation. "Not a novice" would imply one who doesn't have good understanding of God's Word.

10. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You sure about that?

http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/95dec/745/greeno.htm

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

I voted King James! :thumbsup:

And have you noticed how often the "scholars" here who know the original languages often disagree with each other over a passage or verse of scripture?

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Time flies. It was changed slightly in 1886 (thanks for the link) to allow a limited number; and I said 1900. 14 years is chump change when you get my age.

The concept, of course, was that a person without a historic language (Latin or Greek) is still NOT well-educated. Even Romance languages are preferred to English (since they are rooted in Latin).

For some to claim the be-all/end-all of translation from Greek is into Jacobean English are truly myopic.

13. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You must have missed the following interesting statement from my quote.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why should that surprise you? When delving into original language that had 100 times the depth of meaning/grammar/syntax as English, there will undoubtedly be varying opinions.

Part of that is the richness of the Greek language. We have many Greek words that may be translated equally/fully/accurately with a plethora of modern English words. That one scholar might opt for "x" and another "y" and yet another "z" does not mean any are WRONG; just different.

Anyone who uses the AV1611 (not a cheap revision) can see the translators offering hundreds of other equally valid words to enrich or help clarify. Sadly, revisions known as the KJV, omit those so that some feel like the exact word in their particular KJV revision is somehow the "authority". And the authority is not any man-made translation but the actual preserved WORDS of God in the Greek.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

It doesn't surprise me. But it demonstrates that knowing the original languages is not necessarily an advantage.

I totally disagree with you here, scripture is not a matter of one's own personal opinion.

2 Pet 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

No scripture is of private interpretation. We need to know what God is truly saying in scripture, not what a scholar's personal opinion is. If two scholars disagree on the proper interpretation of a verse, there are only two possibilities. Either one is correct and the other wrong, or they are both wrong. They cannot both be correct having different interpretations.

My issue with the MVs is not that more modern and easily understood words could be substituted for archaic words. My disagreement is that the MVs are taken from a completely different text that is missing nearly 3000 words in the original Greek.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Or maybe the text that is underlying the KJV added nearly 3000 words. It's easy to see in most passages how that happened. :)

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, not a completely different text. Scholars say there is about 95% or more agreement between the CT texts and the TR texts. That's not completely different.

Second the TR unintentionally added about 1,000 extra words to the biblical text.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NT of the TNIV came out in 2001. The OT and NT combined --in the year 2005.

All major versions are updated --including the KJV --numerous times.

No new revelations -- just more up-to-date language and better scholarship findings.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's in my top 5.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. But I think the average Joe and Jill will still buy the 2011 NIV without knowing it's not the NIV of 1984. So the acceptance rate will be as much as it is currently for the 84 NIV -- and that is a whole lot greater than the level of acceptance the public had for the TNIV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.