1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured While speaking in tounges....

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

2. awaken

awaken Active Member

Yes! Always with an interpreter!

3. awaken

awaken Active Member

No, you did not show me tongues as in the Bible can be spoken without the Holy Spirit!

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 12:8 "for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit,"

You either believe God and His word or you don't.

5. awaken

awaken Active Member

Yes!
    Why do you add to what people say? I have never said I do not know the interpretation...I said when I pray for the interpretation He gives it to me!

vs. 2 "For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God; for no man understandeth him.." vs. 13 "WHEREFORE LET HIM THAT SPEAKETH IN AN UNKNOWN TONGUE PRAY THAT HE MAY INTERPRET!" Does that sound like you understand what you are praying or what language you are speaking in? If you knew what language you were speaking...why pray for the interpretation? How many times do you have to be asked that?
    You can conclude what ever you like! But I would like you to stick to scriptures to prove any stand you make...not my personal walk with God!
    Do you know all the languages of the world? NO! Plus as I have stated for the last time...NOWHERE in the scriptures does it say I have to know the language!

You continue to believe that, DHK!

6. awaken

awaken Active Member

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying yes to interpreters (only)
    what about the other rules?

8. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Glossolalia is practice by Christian Charismatics, by Christian cults, and by non-Christians. Xenoglossy, speaking of a natural language, is the kind of tongues in the NT; it is VERY rare.

9. awaken

awaken Active Member

The church services that the HOly Spirit manifested in tongues... We have never had more than one during a service.

10. awaken

awaken Active Member

Not tongues as in the Bible! You can not manifest what you do not have!
    Again! I agree that there is fake out there..
    Can you show me in scripture where an unbeliever spoke in tongues?

11. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bible is clear that tongues were a sign for unbelievers, not for believers. Therefore those "churches" that practice so-called "tongues" are admitting they are unbelievers.

1 Corinthians 14:22 "Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers."

12. awaken

awaken Active Member

Do you realize what you are saying? THey were a sign to unbelievers! It does not say tongues were for unbelievers! Show me one unbeliever in scriptures that spoke in tongues.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you realize what you said??

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well then keep faking your tongues and speaking that gibberish. Don't forget you will have to look God in the eye one day.

15. awaken

awaken Active Member

Yes! Tongues is FOR a SIGN to the unbeliever! Tongues is not just for unbelievers.

TCassidy, implied that those that spoke in tongues are unbelievers. I ask her to show me an unbeliever speaking in tongues in scriptures!

16. awaken

awaken Active Member

Yes, WE ALL will look God in the eye one day! It will be a sad day for those that could have walked in more of what the Bible says...but because of their unbelief...they did not!

I did not say anyone was not saved...just that God had gifts for them and they said "THanks, but no thanks" to God!

I would hate to have paid such a dear price for a gift that many will will not open or refuse all together! Unbelief is a sad thing!

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

At least look at the profile and realize that "she" is a "he."
    TCassidy: Retired Pastor/Seminary Professor

But to look at the Scriptures more closely:

1 Corinthians 14:21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
    22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Tongues are a sign:
    First to the Jews (this people) vs. 21,
    Secondly, to them that believe not, vs, 22.

Thus, taking into consideration the wider context, if you don't have any unbelieving Jews in your church then tongues are out of order. It was a sign to them. They didn't listen. Judgment came in 70 A.D. Tongues ceased after that. We don't find them in history after the first century.
    We find the paganistic practice of speaking gibberish being accommodated by some sects of Christianity in 1905, and so the modern Charismatic movement began. Up to that time it was relegated to paganism.

18. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Since you can't seem to understand what I'm saying, I'll hush now.

19. awaken

awaken Active Member

First you say that tongues ceased with the last apostle..
    Then it was with the complete written Word (Bible)...
    Now it was after the Judgment in 70 A.D..
    None of the above is found in scripture!

You keep tongues tied to one thing and ignore the rest!
    I agree with the purposes you posted...but I do not ignore the other purposes.
    Historical and anecdotal testimonies, as interesting as they may be, are still secondary. The Bible must be the source of primary importance in establishing the present-day validity of speaking in tongues.

"these signs will accompany those who believe"
    “Anyone who speaks in a tongue ... speak ... to God.”
    That is, speaking in tongues is a God-given way for believers to “speak to God.” As such, it is a valuable asset in our prayer life, along with speaking to God in our own native language (which is English for me).

The one speaking in tongues is edified, built up. Some have wrongly read this as Paul minimizing the importance of tongues. But Paul is making two positive comments here: (1) speaking in tongues edifies the individual, and (2) prophecy spoken in the church edifies the church. It is a good thing for both individuals and the church to be edified.

20. awaken

awaken Active Member

Well, we must have both misunderstood each others post..so we can drop it if you like!