1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who are the “sons of God” in Genesis 6:2,4?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Gabriel Elijah, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Count me as a third on this one. My strongest reasons, honestly being

1. My treasured (unfortunately departed) mentor OT Professor, Dr. J.W. Lee
    2. Occam's Razor

2. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Hahaha-Wow--I was actually gonna address that later—at this point I should just sit back & let u handle this debate!:applause:

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I got a chuckle from that. God doesn't follow that principle. Red Sea?

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Don't you dare! :laugh:

I'll be quiet for awhile...............[​IMG]

5. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

This passage has always stumped me--for the last 45 years. I find myself switching from interpretation to interpretation. Just when I think I have it figured out, I go and read about the passage in another commentary or paper or listen to a sermon. And then I do the merry-go-round once again.

So when I read your question a few minutes ago, I thought about which commentary or study bible to reach for. And sure enough, J. Vernon McGee came through with a whole page defending the godly line of Seth.

So, here you have J. Vernon McGee wrapping up his position:

I recognize, and I want to insist upon it, that many fine expositors take the opposite view that the sons of God are actually angels. If you accept that view, you will be in good company, but I am sure that most of you want to be right and will want to go along with me. :tongue3:

Regardless of which view you take, I hope all of us will be friends, because this is merely a matter of interpretation. It does not have anything to do with whether or not you believe the Bible but concerns only the interpretation of the facts of Scripture.

Reference
    McGee, J. V. (1981). Thru the Bible with J. Vernon McGee, vol. 1, p. 36-37. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson.​

...Bob

#25 BobinKy, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2010
  6. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quantum—I was hoping for a little more deeper input from ya on this subject brother ;)—but I do understand the impact of previous professors on matters such as this.

7. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I think you are making a distinction without a difference. There is no indication in scripture (imho) to suggest angels procreate with other angels or humans.

God destroyed the earth with water (except for 8 people) because of the wickedness and evil of the people (6:5). It seems clear the intermarrying from v. 2 resulted in the wickedness and evil of v.5. Therefore, Moses is reminding the people not to intermarry with the people of Caanan when they take the land.

It is clear to me the passage is referring to the descendants of Seth, not angels.

peace to you:praying:

#27 canadyjd, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2010
  8. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

not only that but God judged mankind not angels...

It is key to first focus on the passage at hand, purpose of writing, context of the passage and book, where at in progressive revelation the event is happening in.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Whining? That struck me funny. God destroyed the earth because of whining? :laugh:

We will just have to disagree. It's a difficult concept.

10. quantumfaith

I am constantly amazed at what incredible things ancient man was able to do. Recently, my wife and I visited Ireland, in the National Museum of Archaeology they had an extensive collection of neolithic stone age artifacts, points etc. and exquisite jewelry pre-dating the Egyptian culture by millenia. It truly is remarkable, some of the feats accomplished by ancient mankind, not certain we have progressed all that much. :)

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Not true.

Jude 1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

12. quantumfaith

Well, I have often been accused of being a "mile wide and an inch deep". Guess this just supports this claim.

Personally, only personally.....I find the "fallen angels" theory to be a bit of fanciful theorizing.

Occam's Razor: all things being equal, the simplest most elegant solution is most likely the correct one.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Here's another.

1 Corinthians 6:3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

14. quantumfaith

Good point Amy, is there any indications that these angels mentioned in Jude are connected with this scripture in Genesis. Could these "fallen angels" in Jude be a reference to those who followed Lucifer in the initial rebellion?

15. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I think the most important error you are making is that you are trying to understand Genesis 6 in light of Jude or future passages. I think you are attempting to harmonize Scripture before doing sound biblical theology on each passage individually (harmonizing comes later). In Genesis 6 God judged mankind and nowhere does it say He judged angels. This is only 1 small reason why I hold that the sons of God are human descendants of Seth rather than Nephilim or fallen angels.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I think so. Have you read the book of Enoch? You can read it online. If you have time read it and let us know what you think.

Jude is making a reference to the book of Enoch, so I think it's important to read it so that we understand why Jude spoke of it.

17. quantumfaith

Have heard of it. One of the apocryphal books I think. Have not read it, but I will look it up. Isnt it contained in the Catholic bible?

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes. It's part of the Apocrypha, which was also in the KJV 1611.

19. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    New Testament examples:

Gal. 3:26 "For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus."
    Romans 9:26 (quoting Hosea) "...There they shall be called sons of the living of God".
    Matt 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God."

Old Testament example:

Hosea 1:10 "Yet the number of the sons of Israel will be like the sand of the sea....You are sons of the living God"

Each of the these references are to people to believe in God, not angels.

peace to you:praying:

20. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Please Amy, quit reading my mind! :tongue3:

Great answer!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.