1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Who are the All Christ shall draw to Him ?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by savedbymercy, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

You have left into another direction from what this thread is about!

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

From what I can read of this thread, you are explaining the nature of drawing in John 6:44 and John 12:32. Did I miss something else started in another thread?

3. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

What and how did I explain it ?

4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

From what I gather from your explanation you have Christ being lifted up on the cross as the primary cause for coming to Christ rather than the Father giving them to the Son to die for on the cross. You have drawing as merely an effect rather than the actual cause for coming to Christ.

5. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

I explained what I meant, what are the details of what I explained ?

6. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

The Redeemed are taught of God ! 3

Going back to the OP Text Isa 48:17

17 Thus saith the Lord, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the Lord thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.

Notice another promise to the redeemed "the Lord, thy Redeemer leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go."

The word lead here darak, its used in the causative sense as in Isa 11:15

15 And the Lord shall utterly destroy the tongue of the Egyptian sea; and with his mighty wind shall he shake his hand over the river, and shall smite it in the seven streams, and make men go over dryshod.

Obviously alluding to how God lead Israel through the parted red sea by the power of God Ex 14:29

29 But the children of Israel walked upon dry land in the midst of the sea; and the waters were a wall unto them on their right hand, and on their left.

Also Like Isa 42:16

16 And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.

It also means to be lead in God's Truth Ps 25:5

5 Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.

Hence if we be one of the redeemed, God will see to it that we are guided into the Truth Jn 16:13

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

The word lead here hodēgeō means:

I.to be a guide, lead on one's way, to guide which is exactly what is promised the redeem in our text Isa 48:17 !

Now many mistakenly believe that the Promise of Jn 16:13 aplys only to Christ's immediate disciples, but its not, its to all for whom He died and redeemed, His Body the Church, because they receive the promise of the Spirit Gal 3:13-14;4:4-6;

In fact its the same word the redeemed ethiopian eunech used here Acts 8:30-31

30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

Philip was used by God the Spirit to lead and guide this redeemed man into the Truth !

It was the Spirit that directed Philip to the chariot where the eunech was Acts 8:29

29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.

And God used Philip to lead him the eunech into the Truth of Isa 53:7-8

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

Which fulfills the Promise of Isa 48:17

17 Thus saith the Lord, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the Lord thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.

See also Ps 32:8

I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.

Which applies to these blessed ones Ps 32:1-2

Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.

2 Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.

Which are the redeemed !

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

All of these texts are speaking of Israel as a type of a people ALREADY redeemed and the consequence is a progressive leading. That is not what John 6:44 is speaking about, but is speaking of those who are lost and how they are enabled to initially come to Christ for initial salvation.

Again, this has no application to John 6:44 as John 6:45 demonstrates that faith is the immediate consequence of drawing rather than some prolonged leadership of metaphorically blind persons

Again, these texts are speaking of those who are already believers, and progressive sanctification and has NOTHING to do with John 6:44 or drawing of those who have no ability to initially come to Christ by faith.

Yes, the gospel when empowered by the Spirit of God produces inward faith as the Spirit gives a "new heart" which is a believing heart as a creative act of God (2 Cor. 4:6).

Again, you are confusing the work of progressive sanctification in those who are already believers with those who are lost and are unable to even come to Christ by faith.

Again, this is speaking of David as a believer not as David as an unbeliever who is not able to come to Christ in faith.

8. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

You aren't doing what I asked, you are just giving me your interpretation of what I posted and ignoring the points I made and how i made them!

9. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

The all for whom Christ was given to be a ransom for !

1 Tim 2:6

6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

Also Matt 20:28

28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

The all for whom He was a ransom for was not all mankind without exception, for scripture never says that or means that, not even close, but its meaning is, all of the Many as indicated in Matt 20:28.

Before we proceed lets look at the word FOR in both of these scriptures about Christ giving Himself a Ransom .

In 1 Tim 2:6 the word for is the greek huper and means:

in behalf of; acc: above.

properly, beyond (above); (figuratively) to extend benefit (help) that reaches beyond the present situation.

Those He gave Himself for receive benefit from it, help

is usually best translated "for the betterment (advantage) of," i.e. focusing on benefit. M. Vincent, "5228 (hypér) signifies something like 'in the interests of the truth . . . concerning.' J. B. Lightfoot (on Gal 1:4) . . . remarks that hypér has 'a sense of interest in,' which is wanting to peri" (WS).

(hypér) naturally expresses conferring benefit, i.e. for the sake of "betterment" (improvement,

This is key, the extending of the help or benefit is not just making it available, but the help and benefit is conferred upon them all.

The word confer actually means To bestow

So these all whom He gave Himself a ransom for, receive a bestowed benefit from it, and of course its a spiritual benefit for their betterment and improvement !

These words denote:

a change for the better; improvement

One of the benefits is that it sets them free ! Its what Jesus had in Mind when He said this Jn 8:36

If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

This comes about as an result of the Son giving Himself a Ransom for all whom He gave Himself for !935

10. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

The all for whom Christ was given to be a ransom for !2

Redemption is the result of the Ransom, for the ransom payment is so that Redemption may be set in motion; make active , for they must go hand in hand, like we here Ps 49:7

7 None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him: The Lone exception is Jesus Christ, who redeemed His Brethren !

Jer 31:11

11 For the Lord hath redeemed Jacob, and ransomed him from the hand of him that was stronger than he. This Pictures how the Elect of Christ are ransomed and redeemed out of the power of the devil, the strong man ! See Luke 11:21-23

Hos 11:14

14 I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death: O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave, I will be thy destruction: repentance shall be hid from mine eyes.

And next, even though the words arent together in the same verse, they are in the same immediate context here Isa 35:9-10

9 No lion shall be there, nor any ravenous beast shall go up thereon, it shall not be found there; but the redeemed shall walk there:

10 And the ransomed of the Lord shall return, and come to Zion with songs and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

And notice Vs 8 of the same context Isa 35:8

And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein.

It is the way that the ransomed and redeemed shall walk therein ! This does not speak of any possibilities or contingency, that it may or may not occur, but its one of the sure shalls of God !

And the way spoken of is none other that Jesus Christ, their Redeemer, He is the Way to God Jn 14:6

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

And He is that Narrow and Unpopular way Matt 7:14

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Hes that narrow way that Leadeth to Life, Jn 14:6 and its this way all the ransomed shall go 1 Tim 2:6

Thats the same ransomed of Isa 35:8-10 !

Now if it is never the case for one, then they simply were not part of the All of 1 Tim 2:6 !

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, this thread presents falsehood. Draw, when used metaphorically, does not mean compel. This mistaken view is repeated repeatedly, as if repetition results in results.

The bible teaches that we (fallen people) are attracted by God's lovingkindness toward us. We love Him because He first loved us. When we become aware that Christ suffered and died for our sake, when we behold Him high and lifted up, crying "it is finished" from the cross at the end of His crucifixion, we are drawn to Him. Not compelled to believe He is God, not compelled to believe He died for us, not compelled to trust in His sacrifice for our salvation. But drawn, attracted, pulled toward His lovingkindness. God so loved the world that He gave His one of a kind Son, so that everyone believing into Him would not perish, but have eternal life.

12. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

van

Is that why you evade the points I made with scripture ?

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You made no points, you posted views that conflict with scripture.

Folks, this thread presents falsehood. Draw, when used metaphorically, does not mean compel. This mistaken view is repeated repeatedly, as if repetition results in results.

The bible teaches that we (fallen people) are attracted by God's lovingkindness toward us. We love Him because He first loved us. When we become aware that Christ suffered and died for our sake, when we behold Him high and lifted up, crying "it is finished" from the cross at the end of His crucifixion, we are drawn to Him. Not compelled to believe He is God, not compelled to believe He died for us, not compelled to trust in His sacrifice for our salvation. But drawn, attracted, pulled toward His lovingkindness. God so loved the world that He gave His one of a kind Son, so that everyone believing into Him would not perish, but have eternal life.

14. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

The all for whom Christ was given to be a ransom for !3

All those whom Christ was given as a ransom for 1 Tim 2:6

The shall be returned [unto God] or converted, Isa 35:10

10 And the ransomed of the Lord shall return, and come to Zion with songs and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

The promise is, they shall return and come to zion Heb 12:22-24

22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

The idea is that the ransomed of the Lord shall be converted and returned from their captivity to sin, the world and the devil, which all men by nature are captive by, yet the ransomed [those Christ died for] they shall be returned or converted out of it.

All the elect originally in Adam were taken captive by the devil as indicated here 2 Tim 2:26

26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Adam through his wife eve was taken captive by the devil at his will, notice the sacred narrative of Gen 3:1-8, but the ransomed of the Lord shall be recovered from this captivity in order to believe and submit to the Truth !

15. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

van

Lol, another excuse for your evasion of my points made !

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You made no points, you posted views that conflict with scripture.

17. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph Well-Known Member

Brother Van,

The word "draw" in the Greek used here means to drag, thus it can only apply to the elect, not the nonelect because if God drags you, you most certainly will come!
    Strong's Exhaustive Concordance,"
    draw.
    Or helko hel'-ko; probably akin to haireomai; to drag (literally or figuratively) -- draw. Compare helisso."

http://biblehub.com/greek/1670.htm

18. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly right! :thumbs: Even in English, if I draw someone to me, he is drawn. If he is not drawn, refuses to be drawn or runs away, I haven't drawn him, q.e.d.

'All that the Father gives Me will come to me.....' (John 6:37). They will be drawn.

N.T. uses of helko or helkuo are
    John 6:44
    John 12:32.
    John 18:10. Simon Peter drew a sword. He didn't attract the sword or lure it; he pulled it out of its scabbard.
    John 21:6. The disciples didn't try to tempt the net out of the water. They puffed and panted trying to heave it.
    John 21:11. Simon Peter drew the net to land. He didn't cajole it to come of its own accord; he dragged it.
    Acts 16:19. Paul wasn't attracted to the market place; he was dragged there.
    Acts 21:30. Again, the Jewish crowd didn't attract Paul out of the Temple, they dragged him.
    James 2:6. Do the oppressors tempt or attract people into the courts? I don't think so!
    The Bible actually teaches the exact opposite. 'But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned' (1 Cor. 2:14). We love Him because He first loved us and drew us, irresistibly, towards Him.

#38 Martin Marprelate, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2015
  19. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

van again

Excuse for evasion of points made !

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Get To The Point!

If I hear anything more about "points" from either of you two I will...I will...
    I don't know what I'll do. But what's the point about your point argument? It is pointless. Just thought I'd point that out. Now don't point any fingers at me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.