1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who are the elect?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Winman, Feb 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forest

Forest New Member

Our faith is not the cause of our eternal salvation.

2. Forest

Forest New Member

If you are saying that Jesus only is the elect then who were those that God choose before the foundation of the world in Eph 1? Who were those that God gave to Christ in John 6:37? I will admitt that when we are quickened by God we are quickened together with Christ, Eph 2:5. God has chosen an elect people and proves that by the incident of choosing Jacob over Easu, so that his election might stand.

3. Forest

Forest New Member

Can you give us a scripture to back up what you see that Eph 1 includes in his choosing?

4. Forest

Forest New Member

Our faith is not the cause of our eternal salvation.

5. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Ephesians 1 is God choosing believers. I'm not really sure where you are getting the OT prophets and disciples from Ephesians 1.

"even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him." chosen for holiness(sanctification) and justification

Ephesians 1 is about Salvation. We see all three parts of the trinity playing key rolls with our salvation. The Father in verses 1-6, the Son in verse 7-13 and the Spirit in verses 13-14.

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Response to Brothers jbh28 and Forest.

I made a "fruedian slip"; it was Romans 8 that I was referring to , but for some reason, I mixed that up with Ephesians 1.

Election starts and ends with Jesus Christ, the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. When we are saved, we are grafted into His Election. We were chosen in Him, not apart from Him. We are born in a sin cursed body, and that alone seperates us from Him. How can we be "in Him" from before the foundation of the world, and yet sinners?

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

W/O faith, it's impossible to please Him(Hebrews 11:6). W/O faith, you are w/o salvation. I agree that faith doesn't save, only Grace does. But faith is the "vessel" by which Grace travels.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to Forest

That is right, we are saved by grace through faith, faith provides our access to the grace we stand in. When God credits our faith, as worthless as it may be, as righteousness, that means God has looked into our heart and determined we believe fully from the heart in Christ as Lord and Savior. So it is God's grace that saves us from receiving the justice we so richly deserve. Instead, God has mercy on those of His choosing. 2 Thessalonians 2:13 tells us God chooses those who have faith in the truth based on His assessment, not ours. Romans 5:2 says our faith provides our access to God's grace. And Romans 4:5 says it is God who credits (or not) our faith as righteousness.

9. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Ok, I was wondering if you had some weird translation or something. :D

We were not in him before the foundation of the world. you are not in Christ until you are saved. We were chosen in him, but not in him yet. We were though the objects of the choosing. "Even as he chose us."

10. Forest

Forest New Member

Israel is a type of God's elect. God even changed Jacob's name to Israel, Gen 32:28.

11. Forest

Forest New Member

The "whosoever" cannot be the natural man void of the Spirit according to 1 or 2:14. The natural man will not, and indeed, cannot believe in a spiritual God because without the Spirit he cannot descern spiritual things.

12. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I would agree with webdog on the part about the whosoever of the world. It cannot be whosoever of the elect because those that believe are the elect. It's whosoever out of something larger. You are right that without the spirit, the natural man cannot come.

13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the umpteenth time, there is no 'whosoever' in the literal rendering:

for God did so love the world, that His Son -- the only begotten -- He gave, that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during. Jn 3:16 YLT

#53 kyredneck, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  14. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

there's nothing wrong with saying "whosoever" as far as the term goes. Whosoever simply means that anyone that believes. or everyone that believes. In other words, no one will believe and also perish. Whosoever doesn't mean that everyone will believe or can believe. If I say whosoever comes to my house tonight will get a cookie, that in no way implies that everyone has the ability to come to my house.

The issue with "whosoever" is when people say that election means that some will believe, yet because they are not elect will perish. This of course is not the doctrine of election.

15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I don't know where you live, so will you mail me a cookie?? :laugh:

yummmmm, cookies!!!

16. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I used the "OLT", Old's Literal Translation. It became outdated, I guess, and Young came along with the YLT. :laugh: :D

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Well, this verse states the "elect" were chosen in Him. How can we be in Him before the foundation of the world, and then be saved and placed in Him?

17. Forest

Forest New Member

In the King James version whosoever is used. A lot of the misguiding of the truth is caused by other versions of the bible. For example; Gal 2:16, the kjv says "we are justified by the faith "OF" Christ, and some other versions has changed it to say, we are justified by our faith "IN" Christ.

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forest, you need to read past 1 Corinthians 2:14 all the way through 1 Corinthians 3:3. You will see that Paul is saying the natural man cannot understand the meat of God's word, but men of flesh can understand the milk of the gospel. So your assertion is mistaken, in my opinion.

19. Forest

Forest New Member

If you agree that the natural man cannot come, then that only leaves the elect because all those who are not of the natural man are his elect.

20. Forest

Forest New Member

We were chosen by God before the foundation of the world and were predestinated to the adoption of children by Jesus Christ on the cross.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.