1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who are your Final Four?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by thisnumbersdisconnected, Mar 13, 2014.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, Connecticut beats Florida not once, but twice.

Now I'm wondering if Kentucky can handle Connecticut.

What do you think?

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

They better. I can't stand UConn -- or any other former or present Big East team for that matter. Besides, they'll be impossible to live with if their men and women's teams were both to win national championships in basketball. Kentucky needs to spare them the temptation.

4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never realized the resentment there is out there towards this freshmen U.K. team because of the "one and done" ideal, which I'm not even certain this was an intentional recruiting strategy by Calapari, at least in the beginning; and no one should hold it against these young men for all the hard work and sacrifice they've done through their lives to get to where they are, and, all they've done is follow the rules set by others.

Oh well, I believe it un-American to deny the NBA the ability to recruit from high school if they so desired....

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

I think it was probably intentional on Calipari's part. If he is the one coach among all of them saying, "Hey, it's OK with me if you want to play here on year and then go sign a multi-million dollar contract," sure the young men are going to sign with him.

Same with Bill Self at KU. Anthony Wiggins made it clear from the start he was "one and done." Even when he utterly failed the Jayhawks -- to my delight and my wife's chagrin -- as the team made a second-round exit in the tournament this year, he still announced he's leaving. The other kid, Jo'el Emiid from Kenya, is staying despite a lot of speculation he would also be one-and-done. I think his daddy told him he's in America to get an education, not to become a millionaire playing a boys' game.
    While I am a big defender of personal freedoms and a kid's right to think he's ready to play in the NBA out of high school, I offer counter-argument Exhibit A, Kobe Bryant. No doubt he's good. But his head, to this day, isn't screwed on tight. Four years of college would have prevented him from being what he is today, a very physically fit bag of unrealized potential.

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Can't be anymore impossible than when they did won both in 2004.

I've understood that recruiting the one and done players has always been intentional.

Great job on picking the worst possible example of your (wrong) point. Since you clearly have no clue about what Kobe's accomplished in the NBA, here's the list.

5 NBA championships
    7 Western Conference Championships
    1 league MVP
    2 Finals MVPs
    2 time league scoring leader
    15 time All-NBA team
    12 time All-Defensive team
    4 time All-Star Game MVP
    2 Olympic Gold Medals

Kobe's already 4th on the career scoring list and he's got a decent chance to surpass Kareem.

So much for "unrealized potential".

7. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm thinking they can't.

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh well, another nail biter, the kids did well for themselves. If, IF they would've hit their free throws it might've been different outcome, also I believe KY received a couple bad calls in the game, and Willie Cauley-Stein unable to play......

Did you see Napier shove his own teammate? Wow....

9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, KU was terrible from the charity line. I did see Napier shove his own guy, probably because he was running the wrong play.

Now, someone please explain the asinine "strategy" of Calipari to NOT foul in the last minute of the game?

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

That was my point. The only other school to do it was University of Central Missouri 30 years ago in Division II. They were fun, not obnoxious. UConn? Obnoxious beyond belief.
    Clearly you didn't understand whatsoever what I was talking about. Character, not talent. Anyone can have talent, though obviously some have more than others. Character is in extremely short supply, both in Kobe, and in most pro athletes. Note how many are well thought of universally. I think you can count 'em on both hands. Might not use up the second one.

11. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congrats to both U CT on the championship and KY for being the runner up!

12. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

You said not one word about character. All you did was make some cryptic statement about his head not being screwed on tight, whatever that means. If that's supposed to be your character judgment, then just say it rather than making us try to read your mind.

13. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

His name is Joel Embiid and he's from Cameroon, not Kenya, and he's headed to the NBA.

14. thisnumbersdisconnected

One, no, it's Jo'el. I live 30 miles from Lawrence. They spell his name right around here.

Two, you're right. He is from Cameroon. My bad.

Three, I probably knew he was going to the NBA before you did. Just in case you wondered.

15. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I did not know that. Thanks.

I didn't, but congratulations.