1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who decides?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by bmerr, May 17, 2007.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

No disagreement here. I think we would all agree that the scriptures should settle this question. Having said that, I still maintain that the reality is that ultimately individuals decide. They may decide wrongly. They may let other considerations enter in--particularly cultural, ecclesiological, eschatological and the like. Even ethnic factors may enter in.

So my point, I guess, is not who should decide what is essential. It is that individuals do decide, for better or worse

2. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Agnus Dei,

You mean like these competing factions in Catholicism?...

[B][B][B][B][B][COLOR=navy][B][COLOR=blue][COLOR=navy][COLOR=blue][COLOR=navy][COLOR=blue]

[COLOR=black]

[B][URL]http://www.acts1711.com/cathsplint.htm[/URL][/B]

[B]Mike[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B]

</H3></H3></H3></H3>

3. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Agnus Die,

The scriptural answer is that we are all...all denominations and all individual believers...expected to be students of the scriptures. We are all to turn to the ONE unchanging standard of truth...Gods scriptures, and the scriptures ALONE, with only the Holy Spirit as our guide. We are to utterly REJECT any group, such as the Jehovahs Witnesses, Mormons, and Catholics, who claim to have a "Truth Gestapo" that decide what the truth is and expect their people to be force fed that truth.

In the true Christian world, when we have disagreements we are to "let our brother be fully convinced" of their beliefs, as we are of ours. We are to discuss and debate, for "iron sharpens iron". Its a very healthy thing. And we are to love our brothers and sisters in spite of our varying convictions.

God bless,

Mike

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok -

Two test cases.

#1. For those whose churches practice "open communion" - a Budhist or Muslim or Hindu comes to your church during a communion and politely asks to participate in this "cultural event".

Do you let him/her?

#2. A close friend on their death bed asks to be annointed by the elder/priest in your church - but they remain atheist, agnostic, Hindu, JW, Orthodox Jew, Catholic, evolutionist etc

do you go along with it?

5. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Bob,

At every fellowship I have ever been a part of it is made clear every time we have the Lords Supper memorial that this is a completly "open communion" with the only reguirment being that you are a christian.

Annointed for what reason?

If its because they are seeking a divine miraculous healing I would say yes, of course.

If they are seeking an annointing to get them into heaven they should go, but only to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with them and share that it is their only hope for salvation.

God bless,

Mike

6. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

A Methodist would let anyone participate in Communion, which I strongly disagree with. I don’t even let my 6 year-old participate. So I think you know what my answer would be.
    I’m of the understanding that God is not bound by the Sacraments He gave to His Church in regards to Baptism and Salvation. Case in point, the thief on the Cross. If an atheist, agnostic, Hindu, JW or Jew sincerely seeks God at their time of death, then I’d anoint them (even though I’m not sure what the Churches position is on this matter), and at that point it’s between God and the person dieing.

For the Catholic, there is the sacrament of anointing the sick.

And I’m not sure what ‘evolutionists’ has to do with anything.
    -