1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who determines when a term is....

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who determines when a term is considered offensive?

For example, the term "retarded" is not PC. (actually that term replaced the original term of "idiot". Now we are supposed to say "Mentally challenged". Or should w e? Here are some other views

Many females do not want to be addressed as Miss or Mrs. Some demand to be referred to as "MS". What Ms isn't even a word or abbreviation.

I do not call a Catholic Priest "Father". Should he be offended?

I normally do not use the hyphenated term (blank) - American, as it does not really properly identify the individual.

And what is wrong with Oriental?

and back to gender - my goodness don't ever refer to 17-20 something females as "girls". Yet many refer the same age males as "boys"

I think PC has gotten way out of hand

What other PC terms can you thin of?

2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Stewards/stewardesses = flight attendants.

3. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

I agree, Salty. Being PC has gotten WAY out of hand. We are always stepping on someone's toes, it's gotten to where no matter what you say it can be taken wrong. What annoys me more is that something a group of people call themselves is offensive for someone of the opposite color to call them. It is PC to call gays, gay lesbian or transgender. They call themselves queer, but we'd better not or there'll be a lawsuit somewhere.
    I don't believe in being deliberately derogatory and offensive, but it's become ridiculous.