1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who did Cain marry?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by bonniej, Nov 18, 2004.

1. bonniej

bonniej Guest

I think everyone knows the story of Adam and
    Eve and their sons Cain and Abel. We know that Cain killed Abel but in all of the Bible that I have read and studied, it has never said who Cain married. Were there other people on the earth? Did Cain marry his sister? So the discussion is Who did Cain marry?

2. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

3. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

There is no reason to think that God did not create other people after Adam and Eve. The Bible is silent on it, however, so any attempt to explain it is only speculation.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Exodus 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

There is very good reason to believe that God did not create other people after Adam and Eve. The Bible is not silent. He created everything in six days, and then looked upon his creation and said that it was very good. He ceased from his creation on the 7th day, and from that day onward did not create any other thing.

Genesis 5:4-5 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:
    5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.

Adam was no spring chicken when he died. The Bible says that he lived to by 930 years. In that time he could produce a lot of children, grandchildren, and on down through the lines. It does say that Adam begat sons and daughters. It seems pretty obvious to me where Cain got his wife. The stipulation against incest did not come til Moses time, at the giving of the law. I would not have been a problem at this time when the gene pool was still strong. How else would the Adamic race begin?
    DHK

5. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Bro. James Reed.

With respect the bible is not silent on this matter. This is dealt with big time. It is of the utmost importance that mankind came from one source. It is because all men came from Adam that all men are born sinners. It means Jesus could die once for the race and did not have to die for each individual individually. This might be part of the reason the fallen angels are not included in the atonement. They were created individually. Each and everyone of them would need a seperate Calvary.
    The oneness of mankind must be kept and is not speculation. Jesus must also have come through the same process otherwise He would not have been a human and a human had to take humanities punishment.

Hello bonnie56.
    Marrying sisters is not a moral issue but a health issue. Cain married his sister most probably. He could have married any of his neices. There were quite a number of people about by the time he killed Abel. All mankind originated in Adam.

johnp.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Amen, Johnp! Amen!

In Adam---all die!

In Jesus--all live!

7. acts17_11

acts17_11 New Member

OK; I'll keep this short. We could be here for a long while if I don't. Simply put Cain married his "rib". I have no conflict to believe God made him a wife as he did for Adam. Since she was from Cain's side she would still have the fallen nature of man. Nor would she be a new creation outside the six days of creation because she was apart of the race of man which was already in creation.

I dismiss the idea that they married sisters because that was/is outside of God's law. I know that it was not commanded until Moses. But God did not change nor can He. Nor would he tempt any man to sin. (Which would be a sin from the beginning if it is a sin now, and God is always the same.)

I am aware that God doesn't hold us guilty of sin not known. However remember that Adam & Eve ate the fruit of the tree of KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL and their eyes were opened...

I know that many brothers and sister will disagree with my stand on this simply because God left the subject silent at least in a direct manner.

I also acknowledge I could be wrong on this. If I am so what; It doesn't change the fact that I am of the elect of God, nor does it in anyway change the great commission. Nor does it change who Christ is or what he did for us. It does not change the nature of God in anyway.

In His Grace Alone,
    Michael
    www.friendship-piqua.org

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

If God created other people don't you think it would be important to tell us about it? I mean after all Adam and Eve sinned, what about the othre people totally unrelated to Adam and Eve? So only those who came from Adam and Eve would need to be saved. nOr what, they all sinned? Again important to tell us, it wouldn't have just been a weak Adam and Eve who sinned, but no matter what man was going to sin.

Nothing in scripture indicates anything like this, one presumes to add to God and His work. No need for this. We can take scripture as it is and not creat more becasue we don't want to beleive whats there already.

Cain would have married his sister. At that time there was no law to prevent it. It did not become morally wrong to do so until after the law was given. Until the law it was not a sin.

9. Lori

Lori New Member

I pretty much agree with what Johnp said. I do think maybe it was his niece maybe that he could have married because well let's face it even if it wasn't illegal *eeeewwww* who wants to marry a sibling. Yikes eww.

I had a friend that wondered once who was meant by the "they" in cain's complaint "they will kill me...etc". I told him that it was possible maybe even likely that by the time he got around to killing able/abel?(sp?) Adam and Eve could have had lots more kiddos. This arguement I suppose could be useful when asking about how long from eve's temptation did she take to eat from the tree. Satan could have been working on her for a while.

Just my 2 pence

azwyld
    &lt;*}}}&gt;&lt;

10. baptistk

baptistk New Member

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It's not relevant to the point that the story is trying to tell us. If it were relevant, I'm sure God would have inspired the author to document that detail.

Sure, it makes for interesting conversation, but only so long as we don't take the focus off of what God is trying to tell us in the story. Kinda like people who write whole essays on why protists and one celled organisms aren't mentioned in the Noah flood account. They miss the point of the story by discussing non-issues.

[ November 18, 2004, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Johnv ]

12. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

This is why I hate speculating.

#1 I'm usually wrong about it. :D

#2 Had God wanted it known He would have included it in the Book.

Interesting theory about the taking of the rib from Cain's side. It's one I've never heard before. But, as I said above, however interesting the converstaion can become, I do hate speculating about scripture. If we are wrong in our 'belief' of what happened, then we muddy the waters of the pure word. There's enough that's actually written in the book that we don't understand. We don't need to go around finding new things to add to our lack of knowledge. Me especially. ;)

13. acts17_11

acts17_11 New Member

Amen Good Point. In the end it don't matter!
    by His grace,
    Michael
    friendship Baptist Church - Piqua, OH

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

LOl, that *eeeewwww* was funny.
    But I wonder if anyone thought of this, where did his niece come from? Who are her parents? Cain's brother and sister. So it is still the samething.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

Someone asked who the the 'they' is when Cain says 'they will kill me'. The only other people would have been Adam and Eve, and their children and possible grandchildren. The 'they' would have to be Abel's family, Cain feared they would seek revenge or retrobution(sorry if I misspelled soomething), for Abel's death.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

Someone asked who the the 'they' is when Cain says 'they will kill me'. The only other people would have been Adam and Eve, and their children and possible grandchildren. The 'they' would have to be Abel's family, Cain feared they would seek revenge or retrobution(sorry if I misspelled soomething), for Abel's death.

17. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

This is no big deal and not enough to get worked up about.
    Cain married his wife.

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

LOL, I agree. If it mattered to us God would have told us.

19. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Plain Old Bill.

How many mother-in-laws did Mr and Mrs Cain have?

johnp.

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Actually there is every reason to believe that there was not other people created after Adam and Eve if you believe the bible! [​IMG] Cane married a sister, or niece.