1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who did decide.....

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by menageriekeeper, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There is no evidence to remotely suggest that the seven day week has been in continuous use in any culture or civilization. Check some history books.

2. RayMarshall19

RayMarshall19 New Member

There is no evidence to remotely suggest that the seven day week has been in continuous use in any culture or civilization. Check some history books. </font>[/QUOTE]In an earlier post you said:

1) "which day is the first day and which is the last is completelty arbitrary"

and

2) "the 7th day in Moses time was set arbitrarily, and was likely not the same day as the last day of creation."

These statements are yours, not mine. Could you please provide some evidence they are true?

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You're asking for evidence of a negative. What makes you think they were not arbitrarily set?

4. RayMarshall19

RayMarshall19 New Member

You're asking for evidence of a negative. What makes you think they were not arbitrarily set? </font>[/QUOTE]NO, I am not asking for evidence of a negative. I am asking for evidence of AFFIRMATIVE statements you made.

In an earlier post you said:

1) "which day is the first day and which is the last is completelty arbitrary"

and

2) "the 7th day in Moses time was set arbitrarily, and was likely not the same day as the last day of creation."

These are AFFIRMATIVE statements and YOU made them. Do you have any evidence for them?

Once again, I don't NEED evidence because I did not make an AFFIRMATIVE statement. I just challenged yours.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Ray, check the historical records. The seven day week as we know it was not instituted until Roman Emperor Constantine did so in the 4th century AD.

The Jewish observance of the 7 day week dates back to roughly 3000 years ago, long after the days of creation. There's nothing in scripture to suggest that the seventh day of the Jewish week was aligned with the same day as the day of rest.

Since the tradition of the 2-day-off work week, many calendars end the week on Sunday and begin it on Monday. In fact, ISO 8601 standard defines Monday as the first day of the week.

Since the use of the Gregorian Calendar, several days have been skipped to align the first day of the year with a designated place on the solar rotational plane of the earth.

6. RayMarshall19

RayMarshall19 New Member

Once again, you made an AFFIRMATIVE statement that needs AFFIRMATIVE support. Is there someting "to suggest" that the seventh day WAS NOT specifically aligned at God's direction as you stated? If there is that's fine, I would just like to know about it. Kinda like the Bereans.

7. RayMarshall19

RayMarshall19 New Member

I went to college with a Jewish guy and we had a lot of what I thought were interesting discussions. One of them was about the Sabbath.

He told me that the Jewish calendar week has been observed continuously since the days of Moses without regard to other calendars in existence at any time. He also believed, and I can't remember exactly why, that the the original Sabbath DID correspond to God's day of rest. Do you have any specific evidence that either of these believes is not true?

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I want to offer an historical correction to something Johnv stated;

"Since the use of the Gregorian Calendar, several days have been skipped to align the first day of the year with a designated place on the solar rotational plane of the earth."

I believe that that is an incorrect statement. The institution of the 'Gregorian' calender did not 'skip' any days, per se, but changed the 'dating' of the day by a factor of 11, from the 'Julian' calender. One can find the birthday of George Washington (born shortly before the time of the adoption of the 'Gregorian' calender, by England) given as Feb.11 (Old Style- i.e. 'Julian') and Feb. 22 (New Style- i.e. 'Gregorian' calender). Some Eastern or Orthodox churches use the Julian calender to this day, notably the Russian Orthodox church, to the best of my knowledge. 11 days did not 'vanish'; 11 'dates' did.

As a humerous sidelight, 2005 is one second longer than usual because of the addition of one second to this year at midnight Jan.1, 2005/06 to account for variation of teh earth's rotation. So if you feel somewhat older at the end of 2006, than you do most years, now you know why! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :rolleyes:
    Ed [​IMG]

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It is a matter of historical record that the seven say week has not been continuously observed. I can't get any more difinitive than that.
    There's certainly nothing in scripture that suggests Moses' day of rest was set on the actual seventh day of creation, or that the first day of the week was set at the first day of creation.

10. RayMarshall19

RayMarshall19 New Member

It is a matter of historical record that the seven say week has not been continuously observed. I can't get any more difinitive than that.
    There's certainly nothing in scripture that suggests Moses' day of rest was set on the actual seventh day of creation, or that the first day of the week was set at the first day of creation.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Okay. I'll just understand this to mean you don't have any evidence for your initial statements.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Okay, I can accept that. Can anyone provide evidence to the contrary?

12. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I'll ask you te same question you asked me. Do you keep Saturday as the Sabbath?

If you don't keep the Sabbath why do you make a big deal aboiut it?