1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who Did Jesus Come To Save?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Mark Osgatharp, Nov 19, 2003.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, here is 1 Peter 1:13-25

I don't see here where it says belief precedes regeneration. I do see that regeneration preceded belief (v. 21 against v.23) and that is very consistent with John 1: 12-13

2. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Try verse 23 Regeneration is being born again! Being born again is the result of Hearing the Word of God! Peter says so!

Look also at verse 22 "obeying the truth" where do we get "truth" if not from the word of God.

It is in the Word of God, both OLD and NEW TESTAMENTS that we are repeatedly told to believe the WORD OF GOD! BELIEVING and OBEYING is Regeneration because our sin nature is that of IGNORING and DISOBEYING!

3. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

PinoyBaptist, you also made reference to John 1:12,13
    Well let's see what is being said here.

First He came to his own, the elect, and they did not accept him. But of the elect that did accept, that is, believe in Him, he enabled to be Children of God, that is, those who believed in his Name. The Apostles were of this group. They were born of God in spirit, not of human stock or by any desire of the human will. They heard the Word that became flesh, Jesus, and who lived among us, whose glory which came from the Father the Apostles witnessed. The Key words are that those who became children of God did so by accepting the Word by belief. They were not regenerated first so that they could believe, they believed and by so doing they were regenerated into children of God. So like Peter said 1 Peter 1:22-25, it is by believing the Word of God that we are regenerated.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think scripture clearly states the teaching on election.

Matthew 22:2-14, "The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son. "And he sent out his slaves to call those who had been invited to the wedding feast, and they were unwilling to come. "Again he sent out other slaves saying, `Tell those who have been invited, "Behold, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and my fattened livestock are all butchered and everything is ready; come to the wedding feast." ' "But they paid no attention and went their way, one to his own farm, another to his business, and the rest seized his slaves and mistreated them and killed them. "But the king was enraged, and he sent his armies and destroyed those murderers and set their city on fire. "Then he ^said to his slaves, `The wedding is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy. `Go therefore to the main highways, and as many as you find there, invite to the wedding feast.' "Those slaves went out into the streets and gathered together all they found, both evil and good; and the wedding hall was filled with dinner guests. "But when the king came in to look over the dinner guests, he saw a man there who was not dressed in wedding clothes, and he said to him, `Friend, how did you come in here without wedding clothes?' And the man was speechless. "Then the king said to the servants, `Bind him hand and foot, and throw him into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.' "For many are called , but few are chosen."

5. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Well done gb93433! You are, of course, quite right. Those who accept the King's open invitation to come and who dress themselves in righteousness through repentence of sin, are welcomed to the wedding feast!

Accepting the King's invitation is willful believing in the Bridegroom (being born again).

Dressing properly is repentence from sin and "walking in the light" (of the Bridegroom).

6. jimliz

jimliz New Member

I believe this a mystery on predestination and
    election and freewill.How will I know for sure
    God has chosen someone for salvation? I'm not
    asking this question for debate,I'm just asking
    to know for my own reference. Thanks. :confused:

7. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Perhaps it is not for us to know whom God saves, except that we have Gods promise that if we believe, that is have faith, we shall have everlasting life. That sure sounds like salvation to me!

When do we Get this Salvation? Well we receive the promise by hearing the Word which is one of the reasons why we come to believe. So from first belief, when we have little more than the promise, we have faith which is the substance of things hoped for, that we will receive eternal life at the appointed time because we retain our faith in Jesus. Our eternal life begins when our faith begins, and so long as we do not lose our faith, we have eternal life.

Now how can we tell who else has eternal life? Scripture says, "By their fruits ye shall know them". So, become a fruit inspector.

8. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Is there a Calvinist Retreat in progress? Haven't heard from any in days!

9. texmedic

texmedic New Member

Does the *all* mean all men ever created? No. It means all as in all races of men. If He literally desired all men to be saved then all would be saved....... we would have universalism.

He also calls every man. But this call is just because He is a just God. This is His general call.......... not His effectual call that everyone that receives will come. Only His chosen will receive His effectual call..... and all the Father gives Him will come. His general call will be ignored by the non elect. Grace and peace to you, Tex

10. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Texmedic,

There are a few definitions for 'all' as you may know.

God's grace is for All, no qualifying limitations.

God's love is for All, no qualifying limitations.

God's Mercy is for All, no qualifying limitations.

God's atonement for the sins of All, no qualifying limitations.

God's Salvation is also for all, but there is a qualifier assigned by God, and that qualifier is faith, all who will be saved must have faith in Him, His son, even on the name of his son.