1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who gets the offering?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is from a diffrent thread:

Are we obligated to give our full offering to our local church?

For those of you who beleive you MUST give 10% - should that full 10% go to your local church, or is it up to you to decide how much (if any) goes to a local church.

Open for discussion

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ironically the only example from the NT is the local church. The only example.

3. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those of you who beleive you MUST give 10%

Salty, I couldn't help but notice the emphasis added to your wording..., MUST.

I am really turned off by those who advocate that one MUST provide 10%. The old guilt trip trick. What's wrong with giving from a Cheerful Heart?

A few years back I offered my usual tithes to a Missionary Group... AS I WAS BETWEEN CHURCHES! Their response..., No, tithe to your local church. duh...

I am of the opinion..., absent a link..., that one should give as they are led. Nothing wrong with the ole' 10% rule but what's wrong with 12%? Or 8%? Or 5%? As long as the giving is from the heart.

One should obviously offer their tithes to their local church and providing to others over and above would cause you to realize a Heaven Sent Blessing.

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spot on

I have to agree with brother. I give to the church I attend but when I can't make ten percent I give what I can. I am on retirement and inflation, medical co pays etc., take a larger than normal amount from my budget I get creative, and believe God is blessed any ways....

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Giving to Paul's ministry would be an example of giving outside the local church. However, that giving came from the church rather than just individuals doing their own thing.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Case in point - I wanted to support an IBF Mission - and I preferred to do it thru my local (IBF) church. When the treasuer recived the check (so noted) he informed the pastor. The Pastor told me the church had not approved this mission board. (and apparently no plans to do so)
    Apparently they had already deposited my check - so they wrote me a check to reimburse me.

In that case what would you have done?

8. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What if my church does not support giving to Grace to You, RC Sproul and such????

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    then - use it to pay off your bills

As Hamel said - there is no NT requirement you MUST give 10%.

Get your bills paid off - then you will have more to give back to the Lord - instead of to the high APR

10. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Salty posted that the IFB missionary he wanted to support wasn't one that his church approved.

Since his church reimbursed him for the money he planned to give this missionary, I'd simply deposit that check into my account and then send it directly to either the mission agency that this missionary works through, or (better yet) the local church that sent him to the mission field.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would find a local assembly that is doing all it can to reach people for Christ and invest as much as I could in that local assembly.

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I recently visited a church that used buckets (for real!) instead of offering plates. Gotta love that enthusiasm.
    In that situation, I was really hoping the offering would go to me. ROFL That looked like it could be nice. Walk out with a bucket o' money. :tonofbricks:

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bible clearly states that we are to bring our offerings and firstfruits to the local assembly of the saints...

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Well, as I said the church gave me a check for reimbursement - I then endorsed that check to XXXXX mission board......and then sent it to them.

15. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We attended a church that had mission commitments in the budget. Many gave designating to the specific missionary to add to the church offering to the person. After a number of years we found that the church sent the budgeted amount each month but any designated money was counted as part of the budgeted amount - less coming out of the overall offering to make the "budgeted" amount. If I gave 10 extra and budget was 200, the church sent 200, my 10 and 190 from the general fund.

Many started sending money directly to the missionaries :)

16. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    tsk! tsk! Where's the faith ? :rolleyes