1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who is a glutton? (Am I one? Are you one?)

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mr. messy, Mar 29, 2005.

1. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

It was Easter afternoon when a beliver, Al, was eating in my home (getting another plate of food) turned and asked me "Am I a glutton?"

Let me give Bible references for glutton(s)
    and for gluttonous from my Cruden's Complete Concordance.

glutton(s) "Deut. 21:20...Deuteronomy 21:18-20 KJVA...(extra given for the context)
    (18) If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
    (19) Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
    (20) And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard."

glutton(s) Prov. 23:21...(Proverbs 23:21 KJVA) For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags."

gluttonous...Mt. 11:19...Matthew 11:19-20 KJVA The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children. (20) Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not:"

I do not have all the answers. Again, "Who is a glutton? (Am I one? Are you one?"...by the way, was Jesus a glutton? I do not think so.

Thanks, mr. messy

2. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

I am not a glutton. I suffer from Acid Reflux Disease, and I definately do not eat a lot, but I am still not convinced that this term is solely related to the amount a person eats. Surely, when the Parisees referred to Jesus as gluttonous, it could not have been related to the amount he was eating. I am sure Jesus was very conservative in his dietary habits. It may have been them referring to the fact of his disciples' lack of fasting. Some day I may tackle the subject in my Bible study, but since I haven't ever been convicted in this department, I do not give it much thought.

3. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Messy;
    My Pastor described it like this. A glutton is one who eats as much as possible to keep others from having it. There are other types of gluttons such as a man I once had the misfortune to work for but never again. He would destroy his own products to make them unuseful for anyone else that might want to use them. I suggested calling and donating them to a charity. He said why should I give them away when I'm trying to sell them. :(
    May Christ Shine His Light On IUs All;
    Mike [​IMG]

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not we're getting personal. :(

5. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Dr. Bob;
    Please explain ?

6. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

There are definitely times when I feel that I might be described as glutonous (in that I love the buffet table) - but I always back off at the point when I realize what I'm doing.

Also, in that I don't have enough money to buy new suits, I must attempt to continue fitting in the ones that I already own.

As for weight control, it can be a tough battle - in that food is my "anti-depressant."

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please explain ? </font>[/QUOTE]Self-explanatory. I am 6'6" and 295# and fight gluttony/food addiction all the itme.

8. DeaconLew

DeaconLew New Member

This is an excellent thread. I can't wait till more folks chime in.

-Deacon Lew

9. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

I can't remember which of C.S. Lewis' books I read it in, I believe the Screwtape letters, but the point was made that the person who declines the sumptuous meal of the host and says "Oh, just fix me something light." is being gluttonous as well as the one who stuffs his belly.

I believe the point was that gluttony is more a matter of being selfish and inconsiderate in general than of body weight.

I can't seem to find my copy of Screwtape but Lewis put it brilliantly, of course.

MR

10. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know.. in our prosperity, it's pretty hard to eat so much so as to deprive someone else from getting to the food... you think?

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is commonly cited that 60 percent of Americans are overweight. That is gluttony.

12. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Ah, here it is. The Screwtape Letters. Right in plain sight. The collectors edition. Leather bound. Right beside all my fine commentaries and expensive research materials.

I believe I will post the whole chapter on gluttony to show my dedication to helping all my brethren less wise than myself as I sit here at the fastest computer money can buy, beside my expensive guitar and amplifier.

{I just bought another amp on Ebay. I really do need two. This new one is a Marshall and I'm quite sure it will impress all who hear me play through it.}

Let's see. Where were we? Oh, yes. Gluttony.

Oh, wait. Copyright. I don't think Lewis' expires until 2007.

I can't post it. But if you've got, it read chapter 17.

It will give you a whole new take on gluttony.

The definition is much wider that you think.

Look around you for it.

Do we have to win all the arguments?
    Do we insist on having it your way at the business meetings?

Do we think less of those who are a bit heavy, knowing the sins we indulge in don't show so easily?

Do we have to have a little better quality of merchandise that of the commoners?

Well, back to my stack of expensive music books.

Night, all.

MR

13. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Does a man HAVE to be overwieght to be gluttonous?
    Perhaps the overwieght fellow is just a bit "inactive"? That would translate to "slothful" would it not?

Nevertheless, we Americans have gotten way too comfortable, and I think, gluttonous in our luxory. Probably do me good to go without many things.

In HIS service;
    Jim

14. JohnB

JohnB New Member

Gluttony is simply allowing your stomach (or body) to be your god.

I suppose this could apply equally to super models and sumo wrestlers.

Someone who overeats, and another (as Lewis pointed out) who insists that the food must be prepared "just right."

Like Dr. Bob, I am tall and heavy. The hardest time in my life in regard to this issue was when I was in the Army. At 6'4" I could weigh no more than 212 lbs. That was a day to day challenge, everyday for 4 years.

15. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why do most (90+ %) of the skinny people I know eat way more than me? There can be and are many mitigating conditions that can factor in to whether or not a person is overweight. A blanket statement just does not cut it.

16. DeaconLew

DeaconLew New Member

I was just studying the subject last night and came to the conclusion that anyone who eats too much is definately a glutton. With that said, I have been guilty.

I think Jim is right about the over weight person being inactive. A glutton can be thin cause of his/her activity but still be a gluton. We can hide from man but we can't hide from God.

I should take every area of my life more seriously.

-DeaconLew

17. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Man! If I had known that, I'd have been a lot more respectful to you! I'll be nice from now on!

lacy :eek: :eek: :eek:

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Often the skinnier person has a higher metabolic rate. People who are active have a higher metabolic rate and those who are inactive will have a lower metabolic rate. Often the overweight person cannot do what the skinnier person can do so they do much less and their metabolic rate is lower. If a person does not exercise their matabolic rate will get lower than when they do exercise.

I have never once ever seen a person who does not have enough to eat ever be overweight. If your intake exceeds your output then you will gain weight.

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Agree with the first part! I weighed 89 lbs when we married and 93 after 3 children. I ate very large amounts too! Now that my metabolism has slowed with age, I have to watch how much I eat and still waffle between 129 -134 lbs. That's NOT thin for my height (5'2").

Now... I HAVE seen persons who didn't have enough to eat be overweight BECAUSE of WHAT they had available to eat! It's common knowledge that less healthy foods tend to be less expensive. Fresh veggies and lean meat cost much more than garbage foods!

I'd like to see Food Stamps disallow soda, chips, junk foods, candy, many boxed and unhealthy items. A woman in front of me at the store two days ago bought only Vienna Sausage, Pork rinds, chips, soda and potted meats with food stamps. Nothing healthy there!

20. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I agree with dianne on all points.
    And to a certain degree with gb.

BTW; I could introduce Gb to my daugther in law and her three kids. All welfare. Always "out" of food the last three or four days of the month. and all very overwieght. And ALL couch potatoes. They have very little to eat. But they eat junk and lay around. NOT GOOD!

And gluttony BTW does not apply strictly to food. It also applies to drink. We Americans CONSUME way too much. (overall)

In HIS service;
    Jim