1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who is the Author of Sin - Micro refutation of Calvinism

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by TheRadicalOne, Sep 3, 2002.

1. TheRadicalOne

TheRadicalOne New Member

There is no SECRET WILL in Isaiah 10 God has made clear that desobedience deserves a punishment and He used the Assyrians to punish Israel. Read the whole chapter 28 of the book of Deuteronomy.

That was because of Israel's arrogance, rebellion, injustice and oppression. Because of their SIN.

God's will cannot include any SIN in any sense, you should study the attributes of God. So blinded are you by Calvin's philosophy that you pretend to make God a sinner in order to justify yourself and your doctrine.

Psalms 5:4-7 "For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee. The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity. Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the LORD will abhor the bloody and deceitful man. But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple."

2. TheRadicalOne

TheRadicalOne New Member

I think you have misunderstood what Soverignty means. God is not free, I say this with a conviction of my heart. God is ruled and is governed by his attributes manifested in his WORD. His attributes are clearly manifested in THE HOLY BIBLE. He cannot go against his own attributes. Sorry, but your mistique understanding of God's freedom or Soverignty, is far away from what the Bible teaches about how God is. Maybe you should examinate whether you truly had believed in the God of the Bible instead of the god written in Calvin's philosophical writtings.

3. russell55

russell55 New Member

1. Was the King of Assyria doing God's will when he want up against Israel?

Answer from the text:

I will send him against an ungodly nation...

Yes, it was God's will for the king to do what He did.

2. Did the king of Assyria know he was doing God's will?

Answer from the text:

Yet he does not means so, Nor does his heart think so...

No, the king did not know he was doing God's will. He thought was going up against God by going up against God's people.

Now, how can you say that there is no SECRET WILL in Isaiah 10?

The king of Assyria, out of an arrogant heart and an evil need for more and more power, goes up against God's people, something God punishes Him for when things are all finished.

....when the Lord has performed all His work on Mount Zion and on Jerusalem, He will say, "I will punish the fruit of the arrogant heart of the king of Assyra, and the glory of his haughty looks."

And yet, in this whole deal, the king is only an unwitting tool in God's hands.

Shall the ax boast itself against him who chops with it? Or shall the saw exalt itself against him who saws with it? As if a rod could wield itself against those who lift it up...

If this isn't God's secret will, then what sort of will is it? It was an evil thing the king did, worthy of God's punishment, so it certainly can't be something God TOLD him to do, or something that the Holy Spirit moved him to do. But nonetheless, if you take the text seriously, what the king did was certainly God's will in SOME way. I think the term "secret will" is probably as good a term as any to describe this sort of event: when God works a good end through the evil acts of men.

[ September 06, 2002, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: russell55 ]

4. russell55

russell55 New Member

Really? If Assyria's acts weren't sinful, then why did God punish them?

(Of course, for God, none of this was sin, because He was bringing about perfect ends through this all--the judgment of the sin in the nation Israel, and then the judgment of the evil nation Assyria. God was bringing about what is right using evil acts of men.)

[ September 06, 2002, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: russell55 ]

5. Tiger Fan

Tiger Fan New Member

And you may want to read your bible. The murder of Jesus, which is a sin, was ordained by God. It was His will. read Acts 4:27-28

And how can you say that Assyria wasn't accomplishing the will of God in Isaiah 10? they were doing the will of God and sinning at the same time.

6. TheRadicalOne

TheRadicalOne New Member

Russell:

Even the children in our sunday school know that God has a perfect holy will. That there are TWO wills active in this world. GODS WILL AND THE DEVIL'S WILL. When you depart from God, what He does is "To deliver such an one unto Satan". The DEVIL'S WILL AND GOD'S WILL ARE CLEARLY CONTRASTED IN JOHN 10:10

There is no need of your mess. There is no need of you trying to attribute to God all evil acts. Calvin is a heretic in that, wake up.

7. russell55

russell55 New Member

I don't attribute any evil acts to God, and neither did Calvin. All I said is that God allows evil acts for a reason, and it is that sense, and that sense only, that any evil act can be called God's will.

It is in this sense that it was God's will for the Assyrians to go up against Israel: God allowed Assyria to go ahead with it's evil act for a good reason--the judgment of wickedness in Israel.

If you don't think that God allows evil acts for His own good purposes, then you either don't believe God can know evil acts before they come, or believe God is not powerful enough to prevent them, or that he is disinterested in human affairs (He sees the bad acts coming but doesn't care enough to prevent them), or that He is capricious or arbitrary (He sometimes allows evil to play out, and sometimes prevents it, but hasn't good reason for allowing it one time and disallowing it the next.) Those are your only alternatives. If you object so strongly to God allowing evil for a reason, then which of these alternatives do you hold to?

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) So you are calling the gospel a mess. How sad. :(

2) You posted on another thread: "For me Finney was as heretic as Spurgeon. So I have no problem in learing from both."

So, are you saying that Calvin was a heretic in the same way as Finney and Spurgeon? Or are you saying that Calvin was a heretic but not Finney and Spurgeon?

And, since I am curious as you have evidently taken over the position as the "Keeper of Orthodoxy" [​IMG] , do you regard all who believe in the doctrines of God's grace as heretics?

Christian regards,

Ken
    A Spurgeonite

9. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

How can "Unconditional Election" be considered a doctrine of grace? If the doctrine were true God would be damning the majority of humanity at His own will and choice. He would be saving only the 'few' [Matt. 7:14d] because of His sovereign choice. I, for one, vote this concept as a disgrace rather than attributing such action to His loving grace. Even if you say 'realitively few.' . . .

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ray,

Man damns himself, not God. Man damns himself, not God. Man damns himself, not God. Got it?

There is nothing in us that God sees that would cause Him to save us except for His unconditional love of us. You do agree, right?

If you agree that there is nothing in us that would cause God to save us, then it must be unconditional on God's part, right?

I think I see now, it appears to me that non-Calvinists are teaching that once man, of his own "free will" repents and believes, then God is obligated to save him. Therefore, the non-Calvinist sees nothing unconditonal in election.

Years ago I heard a Church of Christ teacher say something basically like the above - that once a person heard, believed, repented, confessed Christ, was baptized, and lived a faithful Christian life, that God is obligated to save him.

That is why I see non-Calvinists as teaching that man saves himself conditionally, rather than God saving man unconditionally.

Christian regards,

Ken
    A Spurgeonite

[ September 08, 2002, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Ken Hamilton ]

11. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

If the love is not given to all men, then the love must be conditional on something. Even if God elects some, that love is conditional to some degree. For you to say that God loves men unconditionally, it MUST apply to all men equally.

12. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ken said in regards to The Radical One:
    Keeper of Orthodoxy that is a good one on the New Kid On The Block!... Ken has 801 Posts... I have 2,564 and you have 29!... I'm scratching my head!... I've been here in this forum for over one year!... Am I missing something?... Maybe you need to check out our complete post past and present and the archives too... The Radical One you have some catching up to do! ... Brother Glen :eek:

[ September 09, 2002, 04:32 AM: Message edited by: tyndale1946 ]

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scott,

Do you love all people equally? Does God require of you that you love all people equally?

Unconditional refers to the fact that there is nothing in the person or about the person or done by the person that would cause God to save him.

Ken
    A Spurgeonite

14. TheRadicalOne

TheRadicalOne New Member

15. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ken said:
    Amazing Grace how sweet the sound
    That saved a wretch like me!
    I once was lost but now I'm found
    Was blind but now I see!... If the Primitive Baptist Church had an alma mater this would without a doubt be ours!... Brother Glen [​IMG] [​IMG] :cool:

16. TheRadicalOne

TheRadicalOne New Member

17. TheRadicalOne

TheRadicalOne New Member

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Radical,

Let me bring you up to date. Ray believes most people will be damned to hell. I, as a Spurgeonite, believe most people will be in heaven.

Christian regards,

Ken

[ September 09, 2002, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Ken Hamilton ]

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Radical,

Didn't you call Calvinism a mess earlier in this thread? Calvinism is an understanding of how the gospel works. To call Calvinism a mess is, in essence, to call the gospel of God's free grace a mess, in my honest opinion.

John Calvin taught the doctrines of God's free grace, as did Augustine, as did the apostle Paul.

Christian regards,

Ken
    A Spurgeonite

20. TheRadicalOne

TheRadicalOne New Member