1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who Is The Holy Spirit?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Jack Lavictoire, Jul 18, 2006.

1. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

The Holy Spirit is God:

Then Peter said to him, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and misappropriate some of the field's price? Could you not have kept the field for your own, or, after the sale, have done with your proceeds as you pleased? Why did you devise such a thing? You did not lie to men but to God." Acts 5:3-4 Modern Language Bible.

These verses equate the Holy Spirit with God and also show that the Holy Spirit is not just a force or an "it" because you cannot lie to a force, but you can lie to a Person.

For the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty. II Corinthians 3:17 Modern Language Bible.

This verse also shows that the Holy Spirit is God.

The Holy Spirit dwells within us and gives us assurance of salvation. See John 14:15-17, I John 3:24.

The Holy Spirit causes us to confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh. See I John 4:2.

The Holy Spirit is the gift of God to all believers. See I John 4:13: From this we know that we remain in Him and He in us, because He has imparted His Spirit to us. Modern Language Bible.

The Holy Spirit bears witness to the truth and to Jesus Christ. See I John 5:6.

The Holy Spirit is one with the Father and the Son. See I John 5:7-8.

Jesus Christ referred to the Holy Spirit as the Spirit of Truth (John 16:13, 14:17), and Helper (some translations have "Advocate" (Greek "parakletos") John 14:26, 16:7.
    The Holy Spirt also calls (Acts 13:2)
    Declares (John 16:13)
    Fellowships (Philipians 2:1, II Corinthians 13:14)
    Forbids (Acts 16:16)
    May be grieved (Ephesians 4:30).
    Hears (John 16:13).
    May be insulted (Hebrews 10:29).
    Intercedes for us (Romans 8:26).
    Has knowledge (I Corinthians 2:11).
    The Spirit of God influenced many people in the Old Testament, such as the 70 elders (Numbers 11:24-25), Eldad and Medad (Numbers 11:26-27). When Joshua told Moses about it, Moses replied, "Are you jealous for my sake? I wish that all the Lord's people were prophets; that the Lord would put his Spirit upon them too." Number 11:29 Modern Language Bible.
    The Spirit of God came upon Otheniel (Judges 6:10), Gideon (Judges 6:34), Jephthah (Judges 11:29), Samson (Judges 13:25, 14:6, and others), Saul (I Samuel 10:6), David (II Samuel 23:2).
    Read Ezekiel 11 about how the Spirit of God influenced Ezekiel and made him prophesy and gave him a vision.
    The Prophet Joel said that God will pour out His Spirit on all people and your sons and daughters will prophesy (Joel 2:28). This occurred at Pentecost in Acts 2.
    Leads (Romans 8:14).
    Has a mind (Romans 8:27).
    Reproves (John 16:8).
    Speaks (Ezekiel 11:5).
    Creates (Genesis 1:2, Job 33:4).
    The Holy Spirit witnesses with our spirits that we are God's children (Romans 8:16).
    And best of all, the Holy Spirit loves (Romans 15:30).

Here are links to two excellent articles about who the Holy Spirit is and what He does:

http://www.carm.org/doctrine/holyspirit.htm

http://www.biblebell.org/theo/hsperson.html

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

You are denying the Trinity.
    That is heresy, and comes from the antichrist.

#22 donnA, Jul 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2006
  3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The Holy Spirit is the third of the Godhead. What I use to baptize with, The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost. amen,

4. Jack Lavictoire

Jack Lavictoire New Member

Indeed - the Holy Spirit is God!!!
    However, He is not some third person in the Godhead!
    Rather, He is in fact the Father's Spirit.

[Moderator's Note: You may not post links to Oneness or other heretical sect's websites.]

Come out of them my people... :thumbs:

#24 Jack Lavictoire, Jul 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2006
  5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You keep stating the same thing, but do not supply any Scripture. Are you your own authority?

#25 webdog, Jul 19, 2006
  6. Jack Lavictoire

Judge for yourself! Is He or isn't He the Father's Spirit!

Mark 13:11 (New King James Version)
    But when they arrest you and deliver you up, do not worry beforehand, or premeditate what you will speak. But whatever is given you in that hour, speak that; for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 10:18-20 (New King James Version)
    You will be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles. But when they deliver you up, do not worry about how or what you should speak. For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.

Now aren't Mark and Matthew talking about the same thing and doesn't Matthew go on to say, "the Spirit of your Father"?

If then they are talking about the same thing, how is it that people don't acknowledge the fact that the Holy Spirit is our Father's Spirit and not some third person?

Oh you find scriptures to back up their theories, but in the end there just that, theories.

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
    ---------
    What of this?

Is the Holy Spirit the Father's Spirit or Christ's Spirit?

I think the sufficient explanation comes in the Nicene Creed:

"We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Giver of Life, Who proceeds from the Father and the Son"

There is the whole filioque controversy, but I'll take the Western version as is written above.

8. Jack Lavictoire

Isn't this simply saying that if we have the Spirit of God dwelling in us that we aren't walking in the flesh, and that if someone doesn't also have the Spirit of Christ in them that they don't belong to God?

Yeap, that's what it's saying alright!

Listen, doesn't the bible tells us that the Father and the Son will dwell in us? Should I find the scripture for you? If so send me a private message and I'll find it for you. It's no problem. As it turns out, it's what I do best. :thumbs:

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I looked at the website the other day and today. The Spirit of God and Spirit of the Father in scripture means the Holy Spirit, who is distinct from God the Father though one with Him in the Trinitarian Godhead with Jesus the Son.

Once again, God the Father is Spirit (Jn 4). A spirit does not have a spirit. There is not a spirit of a spirit.

To those of you from the other thread who do not see why we need to defend the Trinity, take a good look at this thread. When you don't defend and teach the Trinity, you end up with error and heresy like this.

10. Jack Lavictoire

Matthew 13:1 The same day went Jesus out of the house, and sat by the sea side.

Matthew 13:2 And great multitudes were gathered together unto him, so that he went into a ship, and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore.

Matthew 13:3 And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;

Matthew 13:4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:

Matthew 13:5 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:

Matthew 13:6 And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.

Matthew 13:7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:

Matthew 13:8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

Matthew 13:9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Matthew 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

Matthew 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

Matthew 13:12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

Matthew 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Matthew 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

Matthew 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Matthew 13:16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

Matthew 13:17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

Matthew 13:18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.

Matthew 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.

Matthew 13:20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;

Matthew 13:21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.

Matthew 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.

Matthew 13:23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

11. mojoala

mojoala New Member

Hmmmmm, so THE BIBLE(the word) bears witness in heaven?

:laugh: couldn't resist.

12. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Jack,

Could you do us a big favor and the rest of the world too. Could you take a class on hermenutics? Could you take time to find out the difference between exegesis and isegesis? You handle the Scripture very loosly and like one who has come up with what you believe and then view the Scripture according to your beliefs. Let the Scripture speak for itself and you will see the clear teaching of the Trinity. Or you can be like the ones Paul spoke about, "the ignorant remain ignorant". But you are far more dangerous than those who don't know, you are willfully teaching a heretical doctrine---and in doing so show yourself to be a heretic. Your unbiblical view is an attack on a basic doctrine of the Christian faith and were it up to me you would not be promoting it on a Christian board. I warn you now you are standing on dangerous ground and God will not be mocked by you heresy.

Bro Tony

13. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

His doctrine sound kind of like Armstrong. Or perhaps Church of God 7th Day. These are the only two binitarian groups I know of, and Armstrongism is differentiated by believing we are born into the godhead

I wonder if he keeps the sabbath and holy days (or the Passover).

#33 Eric B, Jul 20, 2006
  14. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

Who is the Holy Spirit>

:type:

The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity:love2:

Peace,

Tam