1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who is your least favorite President

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Salty, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another thread asked for you favorite President. That is up to page 9 or so.
    Okay, who is your least favorite. Lets make this in two sections. The first one was (or is) a President during your lifetime. Second, a President before you were born.

and let the Great Debate begin

Salty

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Lifetime: (tie) LBJ and Carter. Nixon's a close 3rd.

LBJ--his only redeeming quality was his signature of the civil rights act. His truthfulness and character left much to be desired.

Carter--continued the emasculation of our military, reeked of appeasement, presided over an economic disaster, and couldn't bring the hostages home.

(Quite honestly, I haven't been too fond of any president besides Reagan in my lifetime).

Least favorite oveall: Warren G. Harding. His administration was rife with corruption, and he assisted in covering it up. Furthermore, he stood for very little. Had he not died in office, I believe he might have been impeached.

HERE is a good source if you want to learn more about past presidents.

3. ehaase

ehaase New Member

Least favorite in my lifetime - Lyndon Johnson because of the Vietnam War and Great Society.

Least favorite prior to my lifetime - Franklin Roosevelt because of his deceitfulness in getting us in to World War II and confiscatory taxation.

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN................!

..............I could add to the "my lifetime list"...JFK for his getting us INTO Viet Nam in the first place.

5. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Bush is the worst, hands down.

I'll second Harding also for turning a blind eye to corruption within his administration.

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

While Kennedy & Johnson escalated the US involvement, it was Ike who basically set up and backed up the new South Vietnamese government after the French left the area. Our first military "advisors" arrived during Eisenhower's tenure as President.

My least favorite, far and above anyone else, is the current man occupying the Oval Office. Others include Lyndon Johnson and James Buchannan. I also have to go along with Warren G. Harding. And of course Andrew Jackson for "The Trail of Tears".

7. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

During my life time would be both Clinton and GW Bush, each for different reasons. Before I was born would have to be Lincoln and FDR.

8. Inadequate in Myself

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my lifetime, Carter is the worst while in office (I respect much of what he has done as a humanitarian since then though).

Previous Presidents include
    Grant - what a drunken mess!

FDR - too much power! (ehaase's statement about him deceiving us into WWII stands on no historical basis though)

9. Acumenical

Acumenical Member

In my lifetime, Clinton, simply because (intentionally or not) he helped popularize a postmodern, self-absorbed, morally relative worldview. Sadly, many young people thought of him as "cool." Before my lifetime, no one stands out. Probably one of those bearded 19th century presidents. (Take your pick.) [​IMG]

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Top Three Least Favorite Presidents...

Ok the number 1 being worst.

During my lifetime:

1. Jimmy Carter
    2. Bill Clinton
    3. George W Bush

Before my lifetime:

1. Richard Nixon
    2. Andrew Johnson
    3. Andrew Jackson

11. ehaase

ehaase New Member

Read David Kennedy's "Freedom from Fear" (published by Oxford Press) and Thomas Woods "The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History" before making such statements.

#11 ehaase, Oct 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2006
  12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Glad you pointed this out, I don't know why JFK keeps getting blammed for Vietnam. In fact, he stood strong as commander and chief during the bay of pigs.

Worst = Bush Sr. I give it to any man who made it to the oval office but I don't recall him doing anything. Then there was the read my lips speach....

Worst ever, I stick with the read my lips guy...

13. Inadequate in Myself

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're being rather presumptuous in assuming I haven't. David Kennedy's work is sloppily researched and he lacks the expertize to speak on most of the matters he raises. Thomas Woods can hardly be called an objective historian and is more out to feed off the hysteria that characterizes many conservatives about the "conspiracies" against us (I am a conservative Republican). His work cherry-picks through history and ignores a lot of relevant data concerning FDR's decisions. (I have also read Fleming's "The New Dealer's War." All are rather unconvincing conspiracy books.)

As I said, I am not a FDR fan. He was too powerful, his New Deal policies were and are bad for America, and I believe he thought that the US needed to go into war to pull it out of the depression. But that is a long way from suggesting that he lied the U.S. into that war and purposefully sacrificed 1000's of U.S. soldiers and others to get us into it. There simply is no firm credible evidence to say that he did.

#13 Inadequate in Myself, Oct 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2006
  14. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In spite of the good done in emancipation- Abe Lincoln.

The legal decision won by the Civil War established the basis for eroding the limited gov't model of the USC and provided a foundation for creating a large, powerful, intrusive central gov't. The Civil War basically resolved the question of whether the 10th Amendment had any meaning at all... in favor of empowering the federal gov't to do whatever it wanted without particular regard for state or individual rights.

15. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Who is your least favorite president?

Least favorite president? George W. Bush.....without a doubt.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lifetime: Jimmy Carter

Before my lifetime: Abraham Lincoln

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

That's why we are the, "United States".

18. billwald

billwald New Member

LBJ was probably the most evil president but Lincoln killed more Americans that Hitler + Tojo combined and effectively destroyed the Constituition.

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That must have been a different Bay of Pigs than the one I remember.:confused:

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Explain, wasn't that the closest the world ever came to nuclear war? Did he buckle to the Soviets?