1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who Originated Calvinism ?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Feb 11, 2006.

1. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Who, on this board, thinks that Calvin is infallible, or that he is part of the godhead? I certainly believe in what have become the "Five Great Alones" of the Reformation, that Salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone. The Bible alone is our source of authority, and everything is to the glory of God alone. OK, so it has become the norm to nickname people who believe like that after a man, John Calvin, but that does not mean that my beliefs are based on his writings. I believed such things before I had even heard of Calvin, let alone read any of his works. I know there are many times when I could have worded my posts more clearly, but I don't think I have ever said anything that would give the (utterly false) impression that I hold Calvin as some "fourth part of the Godhead". If I have done, perhaps you could point it out to me. Nor have I read posts from anyone else on the Board that imply the poster elevates Calvin in any way, and certainly not to the extent of regarding him as infallible or divine. But of course, there are only 24 hours in a day, so I don't read every message posted. Perhaps you could point me to some that do as you say.

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

ummm.....and why is it that certain NCs can never stay on the point of the OP.
    WHen did calvinism originate?
    Who originated it?

Please answer the OP.

I agree: it is found in the Bible. That is how I learned it.

3. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen Nuntak,

It's good to hear a fresh testimony like yours!:godisgood:

4. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

I Still haven't read Calvin!!!

I Did not come to the Doctrines of Grace through Calvin!!!

I merely studied Southern Baptist History and was stunned that my professors in seminary did not teach me the Baptist theology of my grandparents.

When I began to study what my own Great Grandmother believed as a Christian I came to see that the Doctrines of Grace are true to the Bible and were in fact my true Baptist Heritage.

I agree with Dr. Bob.

#24 Hardsheller, Apr 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2008
  5. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

And yet, your signature is a quote of a man. The late great Dr. Adrian Rogers.

:laugh:

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Thread Testimony to "Eternal Life"

Once again, on yet another subject, a BB thread gives testimony to eternal life.

God chooses to willingly suffer amensia where our sins are concerned (He remembers them no more.), but a BB poster never forgets a thread he or she started. :rolleyes:

Ed

P.S. Too bad we don't have a "rolleyes" smilie to insert in the thread title line.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've been thinking recently thats it's a shame that someone tacked a man's name on the biblical doctrines of grace.

8. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

"What really turns me off is not Calvin himself nor his writing--its folks who go on like Calvin holds a fourth part of the Godhead"

Begin comical sarcasim:

"you mean Calvin isn't deified in the heavens? Who'd a known?"

End comical sarcasim.

:laugh:

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

What turns me off is people who think that we believe such.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, if Jesus started calvinism...why did He label it with Calvin's name?

11. standingfirminChrist

Man is not predestined to believe or not believe. To even claim man is predestined to such is utter nonsense! Here is what man is predestined to...

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Predestined to be conformed to the image of Christ, not to be saved. Every man, woman, and child has an opportunity to be saved because of that price Christ paid not for our sins only, but for the sins of the whole world.

Predestination is something that takes place after Salvation. And foreknowledge begins at Salvation.

Christ said in Matthew 7 that some would profess to know Him, and yet, He never knew them. Christ does not 'know' us until we come to Him; trusting in Him and His finished work as our only hope of eternal life.

Until one is saved, foreknowledge is not even in the picture for that person because, as Christ said, "I never knew you."

12. standingfirminChrist

Let me explain further, if the foreknowledge meant all men unsaved, then all men would be predestined to be conformed to the image of Christ.

But we know not all are predestinated to be conformed to that image. So foreknowledge in Romans 8:29 must be speaking of something else.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

As I said earlier, it's a shame someone felt it necessary to tack a man's name on the biblical doctrine of free grace. There are people reject it simply because of that.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The doctrine of "free grace" is closer to biblical soteriology than "calvinism".

#34 webdog, Apr 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2008
  15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Non-Calvinists originated Calvinism, in answer to the OP.

16. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Some trace it back to him anyway.

LM

17. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

This word "predestination" appears in only two chapters of Scripture: Romans 8:29-30; Ephesians 1:5, 11.

Predestination is for those “whom He did foreknow. For whom He did foreknow, He also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. (Romans 8:29)

LM

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just renewed this in April.But the need to revive it has pressed upon me.

19. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

My first encounter with the doctrine of "calvinism" which I prefer to call Gods Complete Soverneighty, came when a member of my SS Class (opps small group) taught the class in the absence of the regular teacher and and taught from the T U L I P outline.
    My first reaction was resentment and and taking offence to the whole idea and a rebellion against the teacher. I began to pray and search the scripture after consulting and having a long discussion with my pastor. As I continued to pray and read the scripture it was amazing how the Holy Spirit revealed seemingly in every chapter things I had read year after year with no meaning, suddenly appeared with a meaning and to my complete amazement appeared in most every book of The Bible. I now knew what it meant when Christ referred to "the ones my father has given me", "the called" and the dammed vs the lost.
    However this is a subject that is difficult if not impossible to explain or teach to new believers unless revealed by the Holy Spitit. It is like trying to explain to a non believer how B Obama is Gods man just as the pharoah was.

20. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I came to believe in the Sovereignty of God in Salvation or the Doctrines if Grace through the study of Scripture. I have never read Calvin and prefer the use of a name other than Calvinism for the Biblical Doctrines of Grace since the use of Calvinism stimulates so much bias.