1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who Originated Calvinism ?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Feb 11, 2006.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Calvin was not responsible for "liberal" Christianity.

The human responsibility in modern times comes out of neo-orthodoxy - an approach to theology developed by Richard Niebuhr, Karl Barth and others from the late 19th into the 20th century.

Basically it uses the terms and phrases of Orthodoxy but redefines them emptying them of their power (an oversimplification but it works).

e.g. Neo-orthodoxy says that The Bible only contains a human witness to the Word of God by men who heard His voice and met with Him. But it is a human witness, not a divine witness.

Neo-orthodoxy has impacted all the major denominations of the Reformation.

John Calvin had nothing to do with it.

HankD

2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I can think of a lot of powerful Christian men in Presbyterianism: Ligon Duncan comes to mind.

If you want to start talking "liberalism" you need to point right back at our own Baptist Churches. We are AT LEAST as far off in left field as the Presbyterians, if not more so.

In fact, the worst Liberalism comes from the more "Arminian" churches, particularly Baptist, Methodist, etc. Look at the churches that are producing all the "Emergent" garbage: mostly Baptists!!

#62 Havensdad, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2008
  3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm getting here late so apologies...

Augustine...

If you read Calvin's The Institutes Augustine is quoted just as much as the Bible. Just a thought. :)

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, your thought is terribly wrong.

I looked at three sections of his Institutes.In Of the knowledge of God the Creator (Book 1,Chapters 1-5) I found 31 Scripture citations.Augustine was mentioned twice.

The Life of a Christian (Book 3,Chapters 6-10)had 84 Bible references.Augustine wasn't mentioned even once.

Of Prayer (Book 3, Chapter 20) had 119 Scriptural citations.Augustine was never mentioned.

I think my sampling was rather representative.

Bible 234
    Augustine 2

Now, of course, John Calvin quotes Augustine more than any other person outside of the canon of Scripture.But that is totally different than your claim that Calvin quotes Augustine more than the Bible.

And you should understand that even when Calvin does not specifically reference Scripture his language is soaked in biblical phraseology.It's like what Spurgeon said of Bunyan :"His writings are bibline.";or words to that effect.

My quick research may prove a bit faulty.I scanned it.So it's possible that I overlooked some citations.

Remember this.For Calvin to refer to Augustine favorably doesn't detract from biblical insight that Augustine had.

This is from Of the Knowledge of God the Creator.Chapter 5, : The Knowledge of God Conspicuous In the Creation And Continual Government Of The World.Section #9,Proofs and illustrations of the divine majesty. The use of them --namely,the acquisition of divine knowledge in combination with true piety.

"And,as Augustine expresses it (in Ps.144),since we are unable to comprehend him,and are,as it were,overpowered by his greatness,our proper course is to contemplate his works,and so refresh ourselves wiith his goodness."

Do you wish to disagree with that?!

Further,you are aware that numerous times Calvin cites Augustine to refute him aren't you?

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would say quite the opposite.

Anyone who follows any ism begins to emphasize the ism more than Christ it eventually becomes a social organization and eventually gives way to its own devices. Too often the ism becomes the standard by which everything is measured rather than what should be the standard (the Bible).
    The commands in scripture far preceeded modern times. I am sure the Amish would consider most Christians today as liberal and identifying with the world.
    John Calvin had some strange thinking that I doubt anyone today would agree with.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you put it that way, I somewhat agree gb.

"liberalism" is a subjective term.

And in another way of indirect relationship, neo-orthodoxy could be viewed as a reaction (or over-reaction in the minds of some) to the rigidity of Reformed and/or Calvinistic thought.

HankD

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

haha...oh that is funny...what a way to start a post...

Well for starters I was being ironic. But my point is still suitable.

I checked the Institutes and noticed that Augustine is mentioned above about 350 times in the entire text.

Now, I checked my Scripture references in the entire text of The Institutes and the number is well above 2,000. Again my point was more ironic than anything.

Well I quite agree that Augustine isn't mentioned here...but this, imho, isn't a huge contributor to the understanding of Calvinism as much as The Institutes.

I've got Augustine on pages 7, 26, 31, and 44.

The translation I have does a rather good job of giving references to even the non-specific Scripture passages. :)

I didn't suggest that Calvin agreed in lockstep with Augustine. I do hold that Augustine is responsible for much of the Calvinism as we have it today as he was a prime influencer of Jean Calvin. THL Parker in his text Calvin: An Introduction to His Thought points out that Calvin's beliefs on the nature of sin and predestination were heavily influenced, if not founded, by Augustine's writings. These are two significant areas which Calvin was influenced.

I would suggest that the vast bulk of the time Calvin cites Augustine as a supplement to his thought and a formal citation of support.

Notice in The Institutes, which is a far more formative text in understanding the doctrinal development of Calvinism, where Calvin often extols Augustine's thought:

But it is foolish to attempt to prove to infidels that the Scripture is the Word of God. This it cannot be known to be, except by faith. Justly, therefore, does Augustine remind us, that every man who would have any understanding in such high matters must previously possess piety and mental peace. Calvin, The Institutes, Book 1 Chapter 8 Paragraph 13
    More courtesy and moderation is shown by Augustine (De Trinit. lib. 5 c. 8 and 9), who, although he says that Hypostasis in this sense is new to Latin ears, is still so far from objecting to the ordinary use of the term by the Greeks, that he is even tolerant of the Latins, who had imitated the Greek phraseology. Calvin, The Institutes, Book 1 Chapter 13 Paragraph 5
    Must the creation of the world be passed over in silence? No! The truth of God is too powerful, both here and everywhere, to dread the slanders of the ungodly, as Augustine powerfully maintains in his treatise, De Bono Perseverantiae (cap. 14-20). Calvin, The Institutes, Book 3 Chapter 21 Paragraph 5

Likewise in another passage Augustine says, "If thou requirest a priest, he is above the heavens, where he intercedes for those who on earth died for thee" (August. in Ps. 94). We imagine not that he throws himself before his Father's knees, and suppliantly intercedes for us; but we understand with the Apostle, that he appears in the presence of God, and that the power of his death has the effect of a perpetual intercession for us; that having entered into the upper sanctuary, he alone continues to the end of the world to present the prayers of his people, who are standing far off in the outer court. Calvin, Of Prayer, Paragraph 20

I can keep going if you desire.

My point is still that Augustine is the most important influencer on Calvinism. (I of course do believe that Calvinism is exactly what Calvin believed anyways so it isn't that off.) That was the OP. Granted I was being ironic in my post, but I think with the evidence in his works we still see Augustine cited an incredibly high amount of times. :)

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have never had a problem with saying the Bible says, " . . . . "

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The worst garbage is the disobedient who do not make disciples. Young Christians will not buy into foolish answers. They will continue to ask questions and will soon find out if someone just likes to blow hot air. It helps to keep one on track and keep sharp in both their theology and practical ministry.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    PJ had said:"If you read Calvin's The Institutes Augustine is quoted just as much as the Bible.Just a thought."

So I responded with the fact that PJ thought wrongly.

My intention was not to be funny at all.

You have a strange understanding of the word 'ironic'.For instance,John Calvin is known for being a superb biblical exegete.If, in fact, he does less exegeting of Scripture than in quoting Augustine's exegesis of Scripture -- that would be ironic.But since Calvin spends enormous energy on biblical exegesis in his Institutes (and elsewhere) you are guilty of falsehood.

John Calvin does quote Augustine (pro and con)more than any other single individual ouside the Canon of the Bible.But the majority of time John Cavin explains the texts of Scripture.

No.As I explained above, you are engaging in falsehood.

No,the Scriptures are.

Some odds and ends: On Civil Government which is in Book 4,chapter 20 (44 pages in my copy) Augustine is cited once.Bible verses are cited 145 times.

Outside of The Institutes in his treatment of First and Second Thessalonians (97 pages) he never quotes Augustine -- and of course every paragraph is devoted to scriptural interpretation. ​

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Care to be specific?You have the habit of throwing out provocative statements having no context.

I do not endorse John Calvin's teachings in all their particulars -- like Charles Spurgeon "I agree with them in the main."I believe that most of what the man from Geneva taught is biblically solid and therefore many would find his doctrines objectionable.The sad thing is that many professing Christians find biblical teaching as expressed through Calvin's pen to be "strange thinking".Many Evangelical and Fundamental Christians are actually biblically liberal.