1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who Pays for Cap and Trade?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Mar 10, 2009.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Don't know but my guess is less than it would take to drill a well and what you have as a finished product is green energy.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I wish that were true.But it isn't

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Which part is not true?

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

That wind will supply enough energy under any circumstances. It would be nice.

5. targus

targus New Member

A guess...

Yes, this is pretty much the basis that congress is using when making all these laws and spending all this money.

We went through the alternative energy thing in the early 1970's.

People were pitching passive solar energy, wind turbines, water turbines, running diesel engines on recycled food cooking oil...

Nothing came of it then and no doubt nothing will come of it now.

The energy output for these alternative are just too low to be a practical alternative to oil.

But you and congress will advocate spending our Federal tax dollars on it - based on a "guess".

6. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Be glad! There are many racist in Georgia, so any "Yankee" input would be a welcome change.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You are probably right with todays technology but I have hope that technologies will improve. Imagine wind turbines and/or solar panels on top of every sky scraper. Most major cities could greatly reduce their dependence on fossil fuels. How about paying a farmer to fill his land with turbines instead of paying him not to grow crops? I think there is a lot of hidden potential in this stuff...

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

That's why it failed then and why it won't fail now. Too many negative folks were against it them but more of us see the potential and have hope now so I believe something will come of it.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Forcing a change by use force (government and the police state) on a hope is foolishness and completely idiotic.

#49 Revmitchell, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2009
  10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

By force I guess you mean the tax... I agree the tax is too soon. I think we should give incentives to switch now and develop the technology better then tax the last few businesses to get them to switch at the end. Kind of like we did with the old tailpipe smoking cars when emission test began.

11. targus

targus New Member

Making a profit in the free market is the incentive to developing technologies that work.

Financial incentives for imaginary future technologies from the government results in technologies that are not cost practical or even workable.

Why do you imagine that some bureaucrat in Washington knows which technologies hold real promise and which do not?

Let the companies that will profit from the research and development of new products create the new technologies and the consuming market who will buy them decide.

12. targus

targus New Member

Well yes, how could I have missed it?

Cost per kilowatt hour produced by a wind turbine is determined by the attitude of negative folks.:laugh:

Nothing at all to do with economics.:laugh:

How do you get through the day?

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

By incentive I meant tax cuts. I thought y'all were in favor of tax cuts.

We should give these companies a good tax incentive to encourage them to switch to green energy.

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The more people convert the cheaper it will be for each kilowatt hour. The attitudes kept people from converting which kept the price per kilowatt up. I am betting with the bad air cap, more will convert this time which will drive the price per kilowatt down.

15. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I knew that some of the folks inhabiting Yankee cities were racists like O'bama and his ex pastor. Are you saying those Yankees moving south are racists? Yankee go home!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

16. targus

targus New Member

Tax credits to particular industries is bureaucrats picking winners and losers without the technical knowledge to know which technology will actually work.

Why should my tax dollars go to support some pie in the sky technology because it is the favorite of some politician?

While a possible technology with actual potential is ignored because companies are out chasing tax credits.

17. targus

targus New Member

Physics is physics. There are only so many units of energy to be obtained from so many square feet of sunshine, etc.

Peoples attitudes don't change that.

Did mandated ethonal gas bring down the price of gas - or did it drive up the price of corn and with it the cost of food?

You want to put politicians in charge of things that they know nothing about.

18. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

No, I'm saying that there are still many racist in the deep South, in states like Georgia, although things have gotten much better over the past 40 years or so.

I know that there are racists in every state, it's just that remembering the horrible treatment blacks received before civil rights, and knowing several people personally who live in Georgia (one of whom is a pastor) and their feeling toward minorities, I would say there is still a long way for states like Georgia to go. Now, I will admit that the majority doesn't hold to these beliefs. The problem is that it is often the racist who really doesn't see himself as he actually is.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Kind of a short sighted view isn't it? There was a day when a gallon of gas equaled 3 or 4 miles of travel. As technology improved so did the distance one could travel on that same gallon of gas. As technology improves, so will the amount of power we get from that same square feet of sunshine etc...

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Necessity is the mother of invention... don't you agree. If we can create necessity we will see advancements in technologies or perhaps a new technology that is right under our noses but no one sees today.

Fossil fuel is a finite resource. If not us, future generations will have to explore alternatives. You don't want to leave future generations a huge debt? Why leave them a brown cloud and a limited supply of fuel? If we are to care about future generations, why don't we care completely instead of selectively caring about pet peeves and being irresponsible about others...?