1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who Said?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by sag38, Apr 17, 2011.

1. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

So, what words should be used? As adults, should we say, poot, boody, etc? That is childishness. Mature adults can call things by their names without the foolish immaturity. The word butt is short for buttocks; isn't that the proper term? I am not anal retentive about "slang" in my home & I think it is juvenile to be easily offended by slang. It is a GREAT stretch to apply Scripture which outline pure speech to using cultural slang. Some people in our Baptist churches just need to grow up & quit looking for reasons to be offended. We should be defined by what we are for; not what we are against.

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Iconoclast, lol, I just got through posting about those verses over here:

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=71258

From those posts:

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Winman it is because of what is happening in the church and a very low regard for the Lord. Scripture warns that this would happen.

For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
    Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
    Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

If you think about it even the world knows that this kind of thing is wrong as they will limit it to where and when they use it so I think it becomes very clear who these people really are that seek to justify it this potty mouth speech.
    Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
    Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak [this] to your shame.

#23 freeatlast, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2011
  4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Not quite sure what you are saying here. Are you suggesting that the words mentioned in the OP are the correct words, whereas "poot" and "boody" are just the words children use for the same things? (Perhaps that's just American children; I've never heard of "poot" and "boody"!) I've just looked up "f*rt" in two different English dictionaries, both secular, so with no particular concern for biblical standards. One says (emphasis mine):
    an offensive term meaning to release intestinal gases through the anus, usually with an accompanying sound (slang)
    The other (again, emphasis mine) gives:
    Taboo. To break wind.
    On those very rare occasions when it might be necessary to mention this in conversation, "break wind" is surely the "proper" term.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm sorry if I've offended anybody. I really didn't know those were bad words.

6. sag38

sag38 Active Member

The only thing that has guided FreeatLast is culture and not the Holy Spirit. He is misunderstanding the influence of current culture on his life with the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The culture has determined for him which words are offensive and which are not. Not only that he uses these words as a determinant of holiness. Since he doesn't use certain cultural words he thinks that he is more holy than those who do not which in and of itself is troubling.

7. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Honestly Amy, I'm not offended.

Just as you say, these are words that in our culture are used every day and no offense is intended.

50-100 years ago (and even longer in some cases), someone decided that certain words were offensive. Who was offended? No one knows. But someone was. Probably someone that was of the upper class and determined to prove their status by deciding that certain language was "proper" and other usages "weren't". And part of that propriety was no one in "proper" society ever referred to a bodily function in public. Therefore words like butt and f*rt and even more proper terms were discouraged.

Does this make them sin in the eyes of God? No. Honestly, this is a cultural phenomonem (boy that's some good spelling), that reflects the fluidity of language and the openness or closeness of subjects that are "proper" to be discussed. God doesn't seem to have any inhibitions in the subject matter He discusses in His word. It's all there in plain terms. It is man who has decided that certain words and certain subjects should remain undiscussed.

That's not to say its a bad thing to not discuss certain subjects in certain forums. "let all things be done decently and in order" is good advice.

But man should seek to make things sinful that God doesn't call sinful.

8. ituttut

ituttut New Member

A BUMP TO freeatlast

You may have missed in the hustle and bustle, or may not wish to converse further. I'll understand, either way.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

10. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amy, there are no "bad words," only hearts that mean words for evil or for good. Don't let others lay sin at your door where there is none. If someone believes certain words to be culturally offensive, then of course we shouldn't purposely TRY to offend them. On the other hand there are some who will take offense at everything, and it's not our job to constantly squeeze into their man-made mold just to keep them happy.

11. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this is a very sensible topic---I asked a professor once—how could Christians apply certain verses about curse words being inappropriate for Christians---when most words we consider curse words did not exist in biblical times. Further, words have different meaning in different cultures, while I’ve never personally been to England I had a buddy from there & he told me, he always avoided the word “bloody” b/c in his home growing up-- it got him in trouble if he used it. Not to mention the fact that some words are acceptable when used one way, but considered repulsive & vulgar if used in another context. I really think those that said culture decides what are considered curse words nailed it---- & b/c we are not to hurt are witness it is best to avoid words that are obviously controversial. While so called curse words do not normally bother me (with the exception of taking the name of Jesus in vein, this honestly makes my skin crawl) I personally try to avoid controversial terms so I don’t hurt my witness as a Christian, not b/c I think God is utterly opposed to the term itself.

12. sag38

sag38 Active Member

A friend of mine was taking "Shag" lessons with his wife. Here in the U.S. that is a form of dancing. When my friend told some British business associates that he to take shag lessons with his wife they were appalled. Shagging in the US is dancing. In England it is something else entirely.

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have written quite a bit on this subject before, so I don't think I have a lot to say any longer but the gist: no matter how you try to justify or condemn, the history of 'vulgar' language in English does come down to snobbery. The French/Latin-based words for certain body parts or function are 'acceptable,' while the Germanic-based (and usually shorter) words for the same things are "vulgar" because of the French-speaking court and nobility. To a lesser degree this applies also to other topics, like meat-- it would be considered less proper to say "cow stew" than "beef stew" because beef comes from French (the ones who dined at the feast) and cow is Germanic (those who herded and butchered the animals).

14. MamaCW

MamaCW New Member

I remember responding to that post.. and this is my own personal opinion..

I had mentioned the social norm bit in the original post..

I agree that parents influence the language people grow up using..both my parents still to this day curse like sailors (as a result we do not leave our little boy with them)..but you can unlearn them.. i no longer use foul language like i used to..(God's word/command as quoted in previous posts) are #1 reason)..but besides that reason..its just trashy talk to me..I truly believe that there are more educated and classier ways to communicate and express your points without having to use filthy trashy language..

as for butt and fart, ..i agree its a cultural and social class topic..i personally think the word fart is such an ugly word..i prefer to say pass gas..just sounds more correct ..butt..not something I'd use in a professional setting..or in any setting other than with very close few..

as for the question that the original poster asked..i believe societies/cultures determine what words are considered proper and profane/vulgar etc...

one thing that drives me nuts is when people will curse and act like "what did i do?" and their excuse is "i dont see it as a curse word" ...my father in law used to do that..he used the S word all the time and say it isn't a curse word..he would say it was just an acronym for ship high in transit..and i guess there are people that truly believe that lie lol..but i looked it up and it is in fact a curse word..and showed it to him..and he stopped.. but even though.. where do people see any kind of relation between ships being high in transit and using a word to vulgarly describe poop or use it in ways that have absolutely nothing to do with either..just like the P word that people use in relation to urinating AND getting mad.. how do those two things even coincide?? I don't get mad when i urinate..i dont get it..but anyway..off of my crazy rambling..

the bible tells us to obey the laws of the land.. and who determines the laws of the land..people do..just like people determine what words are considered profane/vulgar/unacceptable (although you wouldnt know it with how vulgar the world as become {ie, televisions shows allowing words that were not allowed in the past})...and if the bible tells me not to speak with profane words..i'm going to go off of what i know to be (or what society at one point considered) profanity/vulgar words..

okay..that went way above and beyond the "butt and fart" ..but it led to my rant..lol..feels good to get that off my chest haha..sorry..the cursing topic has just been a constant :tonofbricks: lately because both my parents and my father in law have potty mouths (father in law not so much).. and thats been a major concern considering we dont want our little one around that kind of language :BangHead:

#34 MamaCW, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2011
  15. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

There are examples of this sort of thing happening the other way round, too. If an American heard a British schoolboy asking his friend, "Could I borrow your rubber?" the American would probably be horrified, unless he happened to know that in "British English", the word "rubber" in that context means "a piece of rubber used to erase writing".

But surely this whole matter is a question of the heart. If someone uses the word "f*rt" because that is the only way they know of referring to breaking wind, that's different to someone who uses the word deliberately to shock, while knowing that (in their culture) that word is considered rude. I cannot see any excuse for using expletives, words that are said, not for their meaning, but because they are swear-words.

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I don't care how you slice it MOST Baptists make too big a deal out of this language issue.

Sure one should be mindful of his witness and his weaker brothers.

But the sad and TRAGIC fact is that GOSSIP which is wickedness is far more tolerated in Baptist circles than the innocent use of four letter words.

That is back---wards.

17. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I agree, Luke, that we are on shaky ground if we try to make a big deal out of one sin, while ignoring another. I agree that if baptists (or any other Christians) tolerate gossip, it is sad and tragic.

But does that mean that there is nothing wrong in Christians using words and phrases that even the secular world refers to as obscene or offensive? (see my post 24 on this thread).

18. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Venial sins

If we have to ask if our white shirt looks dirty it certainly is dirty.

"Be not conformed to this world; but be ye transformed by the renewing of your minds"

Our minds are not born again. We have many ROMs and RAMs which were programmed by the world--even the god of this world.

Study I John 1:1-10 every morning with coffee(decaff of course). Follow the instructions the rest of the day.

I am reminded of my daughter's question when she was a teen: "How do we tell which ones are the Christians, Daddy? They all ACT the same, except on Sunday.

Hippocracy=pretense, acting

Are we ready for the Bema Seat?

Have a blessed day,

Bro. James

19. sag38

sag38 Active Member

If we have to ask if our white shirt looks dirty it certainly is dirty.

There are indeed somethings deemed to be wrong "dirty" that clearly are not.

20. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Sorry, but what's a Bema Seat? From your context, I imagine it's something to do with either our own deaths or the Second Coming of Christ, but I cannot find the expression in any of the English translations of the bible I have.