1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who should we pray to: Jesus or the Father?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ROBERTGUWAPO, Sep 20, 2005.

1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I agree with PastorSBC because:

John 14:13 "And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son."

John 14:14 "If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it."

John 15:16 "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain; that whatsoever you shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you."

John 16:23 "And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you."

John 16:24 "Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full."

John 16:26 "At that day ye shall ask in my name, and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you."

2. buckster75

buckster75 Member

actually He told the disciples they (and I take it to mean whosoever has the Spirit) would do greater than He did. Romans tells us the same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead is in us. I don't think "the same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead" was used just to ID the Spirit. I think it is stated to convey the idea of the power we have through the Spirit. Does the verse taht tells me I can do "all things" really mean "all things"? If not it makes God a liar. and we need to find something else to do on Sunday and Wednesday.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, including praying to the the eternal, omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent Second Person of the Trinity.

HankD

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

To God the Father in Jesus' name is, imo, the "best" biblical model.

I personally don't think it's appropriate to "pray to Jesus" per se. However, it's a personal view, and I don't think it's outright unscriptural (translation: I don't have the scriptural authority to tell others it's wrong).

5. Cix

Cix New Member

I always pray to the Father, in the name of Jesus Christ. Jesus enables us to talk with the father.

6. benz

benz New Member

Mostly I pray to the father...sometimes to the holyspirit to guide me into all truth and lead me from temptation and lusts etc...
    and I pray to jesus for his second comming to arrive a little faster than scheduled if possible..
    Again God is God is God...is LORD :D
    **In the name of Jesus I ask all this..**

7. tschau

tschau New Member

How can I not thank Jesus again and again for what he has done for me? He is my bridegroom, should I wait till heaven to talk with him?
    When I read a story about Jesus it seems normal for me to say "Jesus, I admire how you handled this situation!"
    Didn't he call his disciples his friends and aren't we today as his followers also his friends? How can I not talk with a friend?

8. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Can we distinguish between what the Bible calls prayer (and the instructions it gives concerning prayer) and such things as "talking" and praise? Or should we consider them all the same and ignore the command to pray to the Father in the name of the Son?

9. tschau

tschau New Member

For me prayer includes all, praise, sharing, asking questions, etc etc
    All talking with God is prayer for me

10. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Jesus said that no one could come to the Father except by Him. If you don't know Jesus, you cannot even enter into the throne room of God. Therefore, Christians pray to God the Father through Jesus the Son in the power of the Holy Spirit.

PastorSBC said it well.