1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who side is God on?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Salty, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    During any war in general - do you think that God is for one side or another?

Example - 1776 - the Americian Revoultion
    1930-40's World War II
    1898 Spanish Americian War
    anglo french wars

War between the (Americian) States

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    in each case God is/was on our side.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "My concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right." - Abraham Lincoln

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    technically for us there is no "side" with our God.
    He is in us and we are in Him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think God uses humans to make sure His will shall be done here on earth. At the very minimum, surely God was for the Allies in WW2 who were fighting the evil nations of Germany and Japan.

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God directed strategy for certain battles the Israelis were in. Appears David always consulted Him before committing to battle.

And God had stated that certain empires would end, & gave a little of the circumstances. For example He told Daniel to tell Belshazzar that very night, his city would fall to the Medes & Persians. He also told Daniel the Greek/Macedonian empire billy goat would knock down & trample the ram that represented the Medo-Persian empire & then that empire would be partitioned into 4 parts when Alex The Great died young, E. G. the biggest of the goat's 4 horns would suddenly be broken off & another smaller horn would grow in its place.

I believe God sent the American Civil war because of slavery & caused the South to lose, as they were pro-slavery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I once read a book by a retired Israeli General who wrote about many of those biblical battles from his professional point of view. It was a real interesting read.

8. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometimes God is on neither side. Sometimes war itself is an act of His judgment. Then again, some wars are considered just. It may not be an easy black and white question.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if God that to other countries that have slavery

10. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am certain that God will destroy 5/6th of Gog-Magog when it comes against Israel.

11. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God is on His own side. Whatever side wins is the side God chose to win. That does not mean the winning side has His approval, it might, but not absolutely. The side that wins is fulfilling His purposes in the earth.

For example for a time, the beast wages war on the saints and is beating them not due to random chance, but this was granted to the beast by God.

Revelation 13:6-8 New King James Version (NKJV)
    6 Then he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme His name, His tabernacle, and those who dwell in heaven.
    7 It was granted to him to make war with the saints and to overcome them. And authority was given him over every tribe, tongue, and nation.
    8 All who dwell on the earth will worship him, whose names have not been written in the Book of Life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Daniel 7
    19 “Then I wished to know the truth about the fourth beast, which was different from all the others, exceedingly dreadful, with its teeth of iron and its nails of bronze, which devoured, broke in pieces, and trampled the residue with its feet; 20 and the ten horns that were on its head, and the other horn which came up, before which three fell, namely, that horn which had eyes and a mouth which spoke pompous words, whose appearance was greater than his fellows.

21 “I was watching; and the same horn was making war against the saints, and prevailing against them,
    22 until the Ancient of Days came, and a judgment was made in favor of the saints of the Most High, and the time came for the saints to possess the kingdom.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello @Scott Downey! :)
    Good post! Are you the Scott Downey who was on the Puritan Board back when Noah was a lad?
    Good to see you again, though I'm sorry to see that you're not back on the Baptist side of the equation. ;)