1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who told us it is a Sin to Drink?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ituttut, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allan

Allan Active Member

Actually that isn't Paul's statement at all. He isn't saying lighten up and drink up (paraphrase).. but to take a small amount for your ailment, and even that 'small' amount was mixed typically 1 part to 3 part water to dilute it even more.

2. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Just wondering isn't this the same topic that was debated for over 30 pages in the general discussion?

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Brother Allan, if this is all you have to support teetotalism- you don't have anything and you ought to abandon the notion forthwith.

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

Then it is apparent you read very little and know even less.

I would encourage you to read more to better reduce your both your ignorance on my position and potentially your arrogance. I have written a great deal on this subject, on the BB, over the years on why biblically believers should abstain or not. This thread is dealing with the FACT that the issue of not drinking alcohol dates back to the apostles and not simply to recent American History.

Thank you for your irrelevant post and addition of nothing to OP, or thread in general.

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

Not for what I'm discussing and the OP is requesting.
    Who told us it is a sin to drink = OP
    The thread began stating view began around early 1900's or so in America.
    I was correcting that view and that it goes much further back but not necessarily that it was sin in and of itself to drink but that it is a sin TO continue to drink if you know a brother/sister in the Lord believes it is sin. In so doing you do not only sin against them but against your Lord as well.

My point is that it began much longer than a 100 years ago and is supported by scripture.

#45 Allan, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2010
  6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because of the evils of drunkenness, the WCTU movement was founded. Goal = "temperance" or moderation in use of alcohol. THAT is laudable and biblical.

But like most movements, it was hijacked by the extreme over the next decades. And radicalized into "abstinence" instead of "temperance".

Blame falls mostly on the hyper-Victorianism that erected man-made rules to keep folks far away from breaking biblical prohibitions. And on the multi-million dollar empire Rev Welch founded to sell his concord grape juice to replace "evil" alcoholic wine.

Popularized by men like Sunday who had come from a live of drunkenness and debauchery. Reached its peak in the Volstead Act and prohibition. And taken about 100 years to run its course and the modern return to the biblical position of "temperance".

BTW, what did the Baptist in the 1600's, 1700's and even 1800's use for communion? Alcoholic wine or something else? THAT shows you the popularizing of the "abstinence" movement is of recent origin.

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I don't think that that is apparent to anyone who objectively reads you and I on here. Your position is indefensible and historically nonexistent for all practical purposes.

That I have seen you refer to this Timothy business about three different times if memory serves (which is a nonargument since there is absolutely NO REASON to assume that Timothy was a teetotaler) shows that you have no case for this silly notion that God opposes the moderate use of alcoholic beverages.

You have no case. I have read a dozen of your posts or better and you cannot MAKE a case that holds water that God opposes the responsible consumption of alcoholic beverages.

You are reduced to using passages like this one which do not say anything like what you want them to say and passages in Proverbs which do not mean what you want them to mean either.

That's it Allen. That's all you have. Which is- nothing.

Is this post more helpful?

8. Allan

Allan Active Member

:) You stand in the dark, or at least continue to stand there. Even those Reformed drinkers establish the very fact of Timothy not drinking alcohol by the Time Paul is writing to him.

Your last sentence proves not only your complete ignorance but also willing inability to comprehend.

Not only do I have a case.. I have the most biblical case one can have :)
    Though I do note it is apparent you haven't 'read' anything I have written because you are regurgitating the same mess of your own concoction and it has nothing to do with what I am speaking to.

However if you think it is permissible to continue drinking KNOWING that to another they believe it is sin and is a stumbling block, then yes.. we might need to talk since you would be teaching falsely.

See, here you show you have read nothing I have I have written because I never used a proverbs passage. Each passage I used, I used in the context the writer intended it to be used..

It was.. it proves you know very little but speak with great boasting words about how much you know.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Seriously, Luke...you need to get a grip. It might do you some good to log off for a while and take a walk, enjoy the afternoon...you live in a beautiful part of the country.

11. Old Union Brother

Allan, I stand corrected. I agree with your stand on consumption of alcohol. sometimes it feels as if we are :BangHead: when we talk to someone with an opposing viewpoint.

12. DixieBoy

DixieBoy New Member

That's not accurate, Allan. Fathers has nothing at all to do with who are Jewish. It is passed from their mother. I'm in the same boat as Timothy my mother's mother was Jewish. So, I am also Jewish.

Timothy was very aware of his heritage. He was taught scriptures as well from his youth. So, he would have been aware of the customs dealing with the festivals that included the drinking of wine.

That is not the case at all. The Passover meal would be the only thing that an uncircumcised person would be excluded from.

13. ituttut

ituttut New Member

JDixieBoy and Allen ust can't let this pass

Sure can't argue with what these scriptures say. But neither can we argue with scripture just proceeding when Paul disobeyed God. Years before God had warned Paul to get out of Jerusalem for they would not here his message, of through faith justification. They had already been blinded, and do their best to kill him.

If one will begin in Acts 18 we can see what happened. God treats the Saved all the same, when they disobey, and Paul is no exception. This incident proves Paul was taken to the woodshed, hit beside the head with a 2x4 to confuse him in order to embarrass him in Jerusalem where God had told him not to go. Again please begin in Chapter 18 for better understanding of what is taking place. Pau's desire to save Israel, with Jesus Christ's words from heaven, was so strong he it led him to disobey God, and just like Moses, God took action against them. There was only ONE PERFECT MAN, and that Man was Jesus.

If you will study this closer you find that God would not allow Paul to offer a blood sacrifice, nor pay.

God interrupted the proceedings, just as Agabus prophesied in Acts 21:10-12. God is going to get Paul to Rome just as he told Paul to do, and Paul said twice before he was going to the Gentiles, but did not.

The third time he obeyed God as we can see in Acts 28:28, "Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it." Do we believe this, or that OLD Message to the Jew that has been set aside. Those of the LAW departed to reason just among themselves. Those today of Works, and of the Law are still at it, while we preach the Grace of God that justifies those of THROUGH Faith, without any works of their own. We are told it is a GIFT. Up to us to accept, or refuse salvation ON HIS TERMS.

14. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Hello Allen. It continues to amaze me that so many Christians continually come up with watered down wine, grape juice, of the devil, etc.

God says except for a very few, it is acceptable in the OT, and the NT (as divided in our Bibles). He doesn't say we have to, and He doesn't say don't do it. It is up to each individual to partake, or not. It is up to each church to tell each and every one that joins that church if they Can Drink, Not Drink, or do what is in their heart on this matter.

If a church judges drinking to be a sin then it is their duty to tell any new member they will not tolerate sinful acts of any kind, including drinking. They should inform any that are already members to head for the exit, for that church will not associate with unsaved sinners, could claim to be a member of that church. Can they visit? They should be able to, but the members should not accept them as members, but observers perhaps looking to be saved by the standards set for that church.

15. ituttut

ituttut New Member

I do believe all skipped over my post on page 3. Can anyone dispute this fact?

16. ituttut

ituttut New Member

A man of wisdom in areas of His Word.

17. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Not that anyone will notice

Leaving early in the morning for Thanksgiving with family, returning after Thanksgiving.

Happy Turkey Day to all, and be instant in His Word.

18. Old Union Brother

we noticed:thumbsup:

19. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

The first Temperance Movement:

588 B.C.
    Jeremiah 35:6-10 But they said, We will drink no wine: for Jonadab the son of Rechab our father commanded us, saying, Ye shall drink no wine, neither ye, nor your sons for ever: Neither shall ye build house, nor sow seed, nor plant vineyard, nor have any: but all your days ye shall dwell in tents; that ye may live many days in the land where ye be strangers. Thus have we obeyed the voice of Jonadab the son of Rechab our father in all that he hath charged us, to drink no wine all our days, we, our wives, our sons, nor our daughters; Nor to build houses for us to dwell in: neither have we vineyard, nor field, nor seed: But we have dwelt in tents, and have obeyed, and done according to all that Jonadab our father commanded us.

Jeremiah 35:18-19 And Jeremiah said unto the house of the Rechabites, Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Because ye have obeyed the commandment of Jonadab your father, and kept all his precepts, and done according unto all that he hath commanded you: Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Jonadab the son of Rechab shall not want a man to stand before me for ever.

20. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Bro OUB,

I am a "tee-totaller" all the way, but I will not infringe upon those who drink in moderation. I do not believe this is the way to go, but we all have to do what we feel is right in the sight of God. The reason why I am a tee-totaller is because I don't think I could be a good witness to anyone while holding a Bud Lite in my hand. The bible does say to "Let not your good be evil spoken of", but as I have already stated, what someone does is their business and not mine. :thumbs::tonofbricks::jesus:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.