1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who was the first Israelite?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by joyce, Aug 23, 2008.

1. joyce

joyce New Member

Dont' ask where that question came from, it just popped into my head last night and I felt like I had to have the answer. Was it Abraham? I know he was told he'd be the Father of many nations, being that it was many nations he would be father of, I ruled him out. Next, Isaac, he was a type of Christ, so ruled him out, then I got to Jacob, he wrestled with God, see Gen 32:24-30, and God named him Israel, and he begot the twelve sons that became the twelve tribes of Israel. So; my thinking leads me to believe that Jacob was the first Israelite? Anyone else have any opinions on this?
    Joyce

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think you're right. Israel was the first Israelite.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I would say that Benjamin is actually the first 'Israelite,' since he was the only child of Jacob/Israel born after God 'changed' the name of Jacob to Israel. (Gen. 35:10, 18) The rest, we likely would call 'Jacob-ites' actually, at least then.

"Israelite" is first used in the Bible (NKJV) to describe the descendants of Jacob, also called "the children of Israel," after they had been in Egypt for some 430 years, in the fifth plague on the livestock, sent upon Egypt and Pharaoh, shortly before their exodus from Egypt, in Ex. 9:6-9.

Most of the "formal equivalency" translations render "Israelite" fewer that 25 times, while rendering "Israel" over 2300 times. Some of the "Dynamic equivalency" as well as paraphrased versions often render "Israelite", as many as 100 times or more, including rendering the phrase "children of Israel" as "Israelite," hence giving far different counts on the numbers of the renderings.

And welcome to the "Baptists bored," 'er I mean the Baptist Board. :D

Ed

#3 EdSutton, Aug 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2008
  4. joyce

joyce New Member

Who was the first Israelite

Ed: Thank you for the welcome, wow you have done some extensive research. I had a friend that agreed with you on they think the first Israelite was Benjamen also. Don't know why that question never popped into my head before now. I know the Jews look at Abraham as being the first; but, he fathered many nations, not just the Israelites.
    YSIC
    Joyce

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

My alter ego, Language Cop, would like to express his response about "some extensive research" I've done. L.C.?

[​IMG][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]

"Let me say that another way."

[/FONT][​IMG]

Okay, Language Cop. You can get back to 'Grammar Patrol,' now.

Language Cop's snide laughs aside, that "extensive research" consists looking on Bible Gateway, 'ckicking' on Keyword Search, typing in one or more words, hitting 'Search', and seeing how many times it is used. There are more than 100 versions of Scripture avalable in at that site, in 55 Languages, with more than 20 in English, alone. There are also multiple other resoureces one can access there. I consider it to be an excellent site, and definitely recommend it.
    I agree. Abram (later Abraham) is the first called an "Hebrew." (Gen. 14:12) but he is never called or identified as an Israelite, to my knowledge, and Rom. 11:1 and II Cor. 11:22 make a specific distinction between "the seed of Abraham" and Israelite.

Ed

#5 EdSutton, Aug 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2008
  6. joyce

joyce New Member

Ed: I'm not really computer literate, so, do things the old fashioned way, thanks for the tips though, will have to check out Bible Gateway. I like your emotioncoms.
    YSIC
    Joyce

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

If you are "computer literate" enough to make posts on the BB, you are "computer literate" enough to find Bible Gateway, IMO. I strongly suspect that I am far more "computer illiterate" than you, actually. My "computer" abilities consist of being able to hit "restart." If that doesn't work, I have to get my bride :love2: [​IMG] to fix it.

As to the 'smilies'?,

As the late Milton Berle might have said,

"I know a good 'smilie', when I steal one!"

Ed

#7 EdSutton, Aug 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2008
  8. joyce

joyce New Member

Ed: My grandchildren show me things on the computer, they are 10 and 11, and my neighbor is the one I holler to and say "something is wrong with the computer" of which he always tells me "nothing wrong with the computer, it's the operator". He is right too. But; I love nothing more than sprawling out on the floor with my Bible, notebook, maps and charts and things and just delving in. I have a pretty extensive library here at the house, so use it alot. Will have to remember to use Gateway though also.
    YSIC
    Joyce